Is This the ‘90s All Over Again?

COB

Probably not.  The Bengals might suck for a few years, and they might not end their playoff drought during the 2020s.  No clue.  However, the Bengals were the clear and unchallenged worst franchise in the league from 1991-2002, and as bad as they are right now:  they're not that.  At least not yet.

I don't think there's ever been a franchise that has had the privilege of claiming two decades as the league's worst, at least not since the '60s.  This has made me curious, so I looked.

The worst team of the '60s (not counting AFL) isn't entirely clear.  There are a few major contenders:  Washington, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh

'70s:  probably New Orleans

'80s:  probably Tampa Bay

'90s:  definitely Cincinnati

'00s:  probably Detroit, honorable mention Oakland, Cleveland

'10s:  definitely Cleveland

Even when a franchise can't do anything right, it's hard to be that bad.  Probability alone is the Bengals' friend, at least with respect to the title of this thread.

I looked into it.  In all '90s years when both the Bengals and Browns existed, their combined records were 31-65 (Cincy) and 34-62 (Cleveland).  That features the 1999 expansion Browns.  If it's switched to the Ravens instead, they end up 40-56.

While the Browns were away, the Bengals went 8-8, 7-9, and 3-13 (18-30).

18 hours ago, Stripes said:

I looked into it.  In all '90s years when both the Bengals and Browns existed, their combined records were 31-65 (Cincy) and 34-62 (Cleveland).  That features the 1999 expansion Browns.  If it's switched to the Ravens instead, they end up 40-56.

While the Browns were away, the Bengals went 8-8, 7-9, and 3-13 (18-30).

Bengals had one Division champ.  Browns haven’t won a division since 1989. 

Both had 1 playoff win too. 

4 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

This team could very well end up 0-16. They look as if they have one shot, as of now, to get a win. That's in Miami in week 15. 

Mike deserves the ignominy that would accompany an 0-16 season.  His stubborn refusal to change is at the heart of it all.

• Like 2

Do I think this team goes 0-16 ??  No I don’t.

That being said, this not a good team.

Hearing how close they come to winning games is futile. Does anyone really think the score and 6 point loss is indicative of how “close” they were in that game ??

If so, I've got news for you.... They weren’t.

Don’t stop the celebrating on my part though.

My heart is almost complete stone Bengals. Keep up the good work...

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hearing how close they come to winning games is futile. Does anyone really think the score and 6 point loss is indicative of how “close” they were in that game ??

Yesterday’s game was close because they exploited a weak CB.  

I’m not drawing any conclusions because of it but being competitive does matter.

They lack proven talent today. Clearly.  However talent gaps aren’t huge to overcome in the NFL within a season.  

Shula, Coslet, and Lebeau year’s were marked with meaningless competitive games and wins.  “The dead cat bounce”

With the change over to Marvin those turned into eventual division winning teams.  The first two division titles were preceded with what look like hopeless floundering often written off as pointless because that’s what it was up until they got coaches that could develop talent better. 

I’m not trying sell anybody that this is a good team.  

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm not celebrating anything.  This team is awful, and I don't care about moral victories.  Losing by one score doesn't make me feel any better.

I just think it's indicative that the team isn't so bad that 0-16 is remotely likely.

12 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

I’m guessing they go 2-14. Beating the Dolphins and the Raiders?

I doubt they go 0-16 but where is the game where we’re confident they can win?

I view the remaining schedule like this (assuming the Bengals do try to win every week and don't revert to a Dolphins tank):

Absolutely hell no:  Patriots

Probably not winning, but it wouldn't completely shock me if they did:  Rams, Ravens, Steelers

These teams are better than the Bengals, but they're capable of losing to anyone any week:  Jaguars, Jets, Raiders, Browns x2

The Bengals might actually be favored:  Dolphins

I have no idea what games they can win.

I like moral victories at this point because no matter how pissed off I get, I am going to watch them in the future.

So.... I’m looking for positives from players that stand a chance of being around here the next 3 years.

Tate another good game.  Brandon Wilson looks good and I’m glad to see that puck coming through.  

Concerned about Lawson and Bates. 

I think William Jackson is throwing together an All-Pro year.  They don’t seem to go his way very often. 

Not seeing anything out of Sample or Pratt and that needs to change. 

I thought D-line was weak against the run last year.  They are this year with the zone/stretch running plays this year.  

Yesterday is a good example of difficulty trying to defend 3rd and shorts the entire day. 

Just not going to get good rush opportunities until you do better on 1st down.

Second down I thought they were solid all day.     Then Baltimore had easy 3rd downs and eventually they would stop them and hold for a FG.  

I heard this was Baltimore’s lowest point production this season. 

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Linebacker Preston Brown grew up in Cincinnati watching the team then known as the ''Bungles'' lurch from one horrible season to another.

''I grew up seeing 2-14 teams,'' Brown said. ''And it's something I never wanted to be a part of.''

He's done a fine job of upholding the tradition with his play on the field.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I thought D-line was weak against the run last year.  They are this year with the zone/stretch running plays this year.  

Yesterday is a good example of difficulty trying to defend 3rd and shorts the entire day. 

Just not going to get good rush opportunities until you do better on 1st down.

Second down I thought they were solid all day.     Then Baltimore had easy 3rd downs and eventually they would stop them and hold for a FG.  

I heard this was Baltimore’s lowest point production this season. 

I have yet to see a single play all season long so far, where a LB broke-up a running play at or behind the LOS, and they probably had their best game of the year yesterday.  I DO remember seeing Vigil getting literally run over at the LOS last week. 

This is what Burfict did so well for a while - and what they miss.  Thurman was very good at it too.  I do not believe you can win games in the NFL without some sort of run-stopping, play-making leader/hammer at one of the LB spots, at least.

It's why Pitt skipped over the Bengals' to get Bush, who is proving to be a great pick, and then went out and traded a 1st round pick for Fitzpatrick at S.  They value LB's and Safeties.  Mike Brown does not, and his record reflects that.

5 hours ago, Stripes said:

I fear our boy Geno Atkins seems to be losing a step.  In both the run game and pass rush, he's been a bit of a ghost.  I am sure he is subject to frequent doubles, but that's nothing new.

I would trade him in a heartbeat at this point if someone offered-up a high enough pick.  I don't see any reason to hang onto some of these aging, 30+ year old guys here right now.  Normally I wouldn't say that, but they have to stock-up on draft picks and clear cap space for younger, better talent somehow.