49ers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

I snooped around a couple 49ers boards to see how they felt about the game.  The prevailing thoughts seem to be that the Bengals looked better than expected in Seattle and might be tough, but hahalolAndyDalton 49ers win.

I swear, every other fanbase views Dalton as Ryan Leaf.  I will never understand it.  He is clearly a flawed QB, but he has proven time and time again that he can be very good too.

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

I snooped around a couple 49ers boards to see how they felt about the game.  The prevailing thoughts seem to be that the Bengals looked better than expected in Seattle and might be tough, but hahalolAndyDalton 49ers win.

I swear, every other fanbase views Dalton as Ryan Leaf.  I will never understand it.  He is clearly a flawed QB, but he has proven time and time again that he can be very good too.

I never understand it either.  Other fan bases go off the national narrative.

Dalton is a quality QB just not a superstar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I honestly EXPECT a win. 
The 49er's still suck fat monkey balls and if we come to play like they did yesterday, the Bengals win this game.

Oh, my hatred for that organization is still very much alive and well !!!

The fire still burns as hot as it did back January 1989.     Just so damn close to reaching the ultimate prize.  

I always want to beat the 9ers.  

Mine dates back to the 1981 team. I was 10 years old and seated in the end zone of Super Bowl XVI. I still remember Johnson getting stopped like it was yesterday.

I got separated from my Dad while leaving and a security guard found me in tears. The cool ending to the story ?? No, not when my Dad found me at the security station.

It was the security guard that got me to calm down by walking me across the middle of the Super Bowl field at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Dad who ???

• Like 2

Giants manager Bruce Bochy -he played in the mlb and then managed, as you probably know he’s in his last season with the Giants.  But here’s a weird stat for you.

Bruce Bochy has managed the Padres and the Giants from 1995-2019.

Bochy’s regular season record during that time? 1995-2019.  

This obviously means the Bengals beat the hated Niners this weekend.

3 hours ago, COB said:

I’m looking forward to this game more than I have a Be game game in a long time.  It’s so much more fun watching them play under Taylor than it was under Marvin.

Boy and how. This cannot be underscored enough. Even better, I believe that Taylor and company will have a specific gameplan for the 49ers that is different from what they had ready for Seattle. Because they think and what not, and don't just run the same thing out there.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Boy and how. This cannot be underscored enough. Even better, I believe that Taylor and company will have a specific gameplan for the 49ers that is different from what they had ready for Seattle. Because they think and what not, and don't just run the same thing out there.

That's what I'll be curious to see. They had the element of surprise in Seattle. Does everyone know what we are now, or will the staff be fluid enough to evolve on the fly?

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Mine dates back to the 1981 team. I was 10 years old and seated in the end zone of Super Bowl XVI. I still remember Johnson getting stopped like it was yesterday.

I got separated from my Dad while leaving and a security guard found me in tears. The cool ending to the story ?? No, not when my Dad found me at the security station.

It was the security guard that got me to calm down by walking me across the middle of the Super Bowl field at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Dad who ???

I got sent to my room in 1982 at halftime for crying over a football game.

One of the best memories with my older brother was watching the welcome home on fountain square. For some reason we were off school and we watched on TV.  Cracking each other up making bad 49er jokes. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm optimistic about this team and the direction they are headed.

But, the more I read up on the 49ers, the more I think we may end up 0-2.  Their strengths match up perfectly to our weaknesses.  Their d-line is solid...at least on par with Seattle, which is another test for our o-line.  On offense, their o-line is easily superior to Seattle's which could negate our d-line to some extent.

And Kittle...such a weapon attacking the middle of the field where we're soft.  Seattle didn't have that kind of weapon at their disposal.

So, yeah...we'll see.  My hope is that our d-line is going to decimate every o-line in the NFL so that San Fran being better than Seattle in this area won't even matter.  And, on offense, I'm curious to see what Taylor cooks up to keep from being 1-dimensional.  It looks like we're going to see the exact same anti-run scheme that Seattle threw at us.  Maybe the answer is to throw it all over the field again, but you can only get away with that for so long.  

Should be very interesting.  

2 hours ago, skyline said:

Don't get me wrong.  I'm optimistic about this team and the direction they are headed.

But, the more I read up on the 49ers, the more I think we may end up 0-2.  Their strengths match up perfectly to our weaknesses.  Their d-line is solid...at least on par with Seattle, which is another test for our o-line.  On offense, their o-line is easily superior to Seattle's which could negate our d-line to some extent.

And Kittle...such a weapon attacking the middle of the field where we're soft.  Seattle didn't have that kind of weapon at their disposal.

So, yeah...we'll see.  My hope is that our d-line is going to decimate every o-line in the NFL so that San Fran being better than Seattle in this area won't even matter.  And, on offense, I'm curious to see what Taylor cooks up to keep from being 1-dimensional.  It looks like we're going to see the exact same anti-run scheme that Seattle threw at us.  Maybe the answer is to throw it all over the field again, but you can only get away with that for so long.  

As long as Green is out, I fully expect teams to load the box and dare Dalton to beat them. It was a close thing in Seattle but it worked in the end. Ross’s performance might scare the Niners a bit, but even if he does pop loose on a play, Andy still has to deliver the ball and Ross still has to catch it, which atm looks like a coin flip proposition on any given pass. And with Mixon iffy on top of everything else...ugh.

The 49ers won't be pushovers, but I remain confident.  This one is our home opener.  It may be a low-scoring affair both ways if the respective line play on both sides for both teams reflects what happened on week one.  For every infuriating Kittle catch, let's match with an infuriating Boyd catch.

As much as their fans might scoff at the notion, I think the Bengals have the better quarterback too.

Hobs:

- Running back Joe Mixon (ankle) is day to day and didn't practice Wednesday. It looked like tight end Tyler Eifert had a vet day off. Left tackle Cordy Glenn (concussion) didn't appear to be at the facility and still appears to be in protocol.

He also noted that Green is hoping to get on the rehab field tomorrow, but hints that the return target is the Pitt game at the end of the month.

6 hours ago, skyline said:

I understand throwing it against a 4-3 D when you use RPOs and go side to side to ball catchers just as much or more than vertical... It just tears me up to see a team only run the ball 14 times in a game and pass over 50.  I thought Jay Gruden had snuck back into Bengal Land last Sunday.  It may have given them a chance to win but it’s not going to work for a 16 game season.  Especially with their well documented line problems.

1 hour ago, GapControl said:

I understand throwing it against a 4-3 D when you use RPOs and go side to side to ball catchers just as much or more than vertical... It just tears me up to see a team only run the ball 14 times in a game and pass over 50.  I thought Jay Gruden had snuck back into Bengal Land last Sunday.  It may have given them a chance to win but it’s not going to work for a 16 game season.  Especially with their well documented line problems.

The voices coming out of my tv said the Seahawks D just refused to take a linebacker out and put an extra DB in.  Andy kept coming to the line of scrimmage and seeing a run-stopping defense that was vulnerable to the pass.  I doubt the Niners will do the same.

• Like 1