Chiefs Preseason Glorified Practice

COB

First chance to see the Zac Taylor offense.  And surely they’ll be running it even with the depth guys in there, so for once there is something to watch in the preseason.  

Just an aside.  I read a blurb about a day in camp when the coaches were describing some activity they’d be doing with the team.  Dalton piped up and said he and his wife would be hosting an after party and invited everyone.  Someone just yelled, “Andy Dalton after party!”  A well received bit of fun that got repeated a bit in the days that followed.  

On to the game.  The Chiefs are obviously the better team, they almost went to the Super Bowl last year.  For as long as they leave their starters in, it will be a real test for our defense.  

Obviously our offensive line will be the subject of a lot of scrutiny.  The Brown family fucked this season up before it even had a chance.  Would be incredible to see our cast of misfits, castoffs, and depth guys, suddenly gel into a competent unit.  I’m hopeful but I have to be a realist as well.  Andy Dalton after party!

Losing interest quickly, 8 penalties, 2 turnovers so far, down by 17, barely into the 2nd half, par for the course.  Welcome to Cincy Zac, enjoy your short career as a HC in the league.

This juust in: Hardy Nickerson STILL sucks. And he still plays for the Bengals!  Yay! I can't wait to watch him and Sean Williams all season long...again....and again...and again...and again...

Agreed, Finley is getting that backup job.  

First team offense looked pretty good, even though Andy was only in for one series.  Dalton looked good, looked like his good self.  I don’t know what happened on that under throw.  

Ive seen the o-line play worse.  The penalties though.  John Jerry kept getting busted.  

The scheme, the play calling and the tempo, all that was good.

Yeah I don't see how Finley doesn't get the nod, think we've seen all we need to of Driskell any ways.

Taylor has his work cut out for him,  just wonder when he'll get that blank, far-off stare wondering what happened to his life...unless he really believes he can be the first head coach under Mike Brown to "not" end his head coaching career here over the last 3 decades, it's where head coaching careers go to die young man.

I wish him well, it looks like his offense can at least move the ball despite a woeful interior line and no RT to speak of, and a defense with no LB's and one of the league's worst SS's. 

I really want to know who in the Bengals' "brain trust" thinks this team can compete with those LB's? That you can win enough games to go to the playoffs with literally not one above-league-average LB on your entire freakin' roster? It's like they're not even trying.

Sorry but I'm just bored to death watching Sean Williams, Nickerson, Evans and Co. chase after people downfield every week - find some real *** damn talent already.

Just watched the first drive again.  Somehow Taylor’s draw plays work a lot better than Marvin's ever did.  The plays were just executed better and they worked.  Guarded optimism!

That was absolutely a fumble by Boyd.  It came out right before his knee hit the ground.  Then the white hat goes, “never had control of the ball so no fumble.”  Ridiculous.  Assume he doesn’t fumble, do they then call incomplete because he didn’t have control?  No.  We’ll take it but should have gone against us.

I know it's preseason, but the defense looked high schoolish. 

Phillips muffed two punts and lost one.  Can't have that.

The starting offense didn't look bad. 

The ability for the refs to review a play and while doing so, happen to see pass interference, and in turn call that is absolute bullshit.
I will spend my entire season HATING that new rule !!!

That game didn’t move the needle for me 1 bit.

Defense for the most part couldn’t get off the field.

Starting offense was good.  Played off schedule the entire first drive and got a TD.

O-line; Munoz said they protected well.  I just don’t think you can judge it because the ball comes out quick and defenses aren’t really throwing full coverages at a QB. 

Typical first preseason game. 

• Like 1

I was finally finishing up season 3 of Stranger Things and completely forgot about the game. Oh well, doesn't sound like I missed much. Good to hear the first team O played well in limited time. Will be interesting to see if that continues. Outside of that, seems like they are who we thought they were.

Does Driskel have any Practice squad eligibility left?

On the matter of the Phillips punt muffs - they need to find a backup to Erickson as a PR, so I am glad to see they are looking, even though this one clearly isnt working out

this of course creates Opportunity for another young db or wr....

How did our new ORG look? (I didnt watch the game)