Jump to content
AMPHAR

Offensive Line

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Scottishbengal said:

Boling done for good, retires from football.

 

https://www.bengals.com/news/family-no-1-concern-as-boling-retires

 

Holy shit.  

We are completely screwed now.  We were going to suck with Boling and our first rounder.

Now we don’t even have either of them.  

The only beneficiary of this catastrophe is the CTE Center at Boston University.  They have the largest CTE brain bank in the world, and are likely this very minute drafting a very polite letter to Andy Dalton inquiring about the possibility of a posthumous donation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what his playing status was?  

He had 1 year left in his deal worth $5.7m. 

I hope he is able to enjoy retirement.

Saves Bengals $5.2m in cap room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to see here. They have this covered as well. Going to be a great season. Call now to get your season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double whammy, not sure how a team isn't aware of this sooner, but who knows.

The Zac Shula era is off to a great start!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I'm bummed about.  This team sucks anyway, so now it just sucks a bit more.  It really puts Taylor behind the eight ball though and I don't see any way he can be blamed for it.  He'll face some serious adversity from Day One this season.  We'll see what he is able to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am running the show, I put Hopkins at OC (he's proven his best spot is OC) and move Billy to OLG (he has tons of G experience), but if Hopkins goes down Billy moves to OC and Westerman takes the OLG spot

OLT is Cordy til he goes down - and he will - and then a clusterf*ck for the remainder of the season.  They may as well put my dead gramma there at that point

ORG is the new guy from Buffalo

ORT is a clusterf*ck no matter who they put there.  They should give camp snaps to every damn remaining lineman on the roster there until someone not named Hart shows he can play it at merely a subpar rather than gawdawful level, given that subpar is a huge improvement over Hart

TLDR: I feel very, very sorry for Mr Dalton, especially for his ligaments and bones.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, TJJackson said:

If I am running the show, I put Hopkins at OC (he's proven his best spot is OC) and move Billy to OLG (he has tons of G experience), but if Hopkins goes down Billy moves to OC and Westerman takes the OLG spot

OLT is Cordy til he goes down - and he will - and then a clusterf*ck for the remainder of the season.  They may as well put my dead gramma there at that point

ORG is the new guy from Buffalo

ORT is a clusterf*ck no matter who they put there.  They should give camp snaps to every damn remaining lineman on the roster there until someone not named Hart shows he can play it at merely a subpar rather than gawdawful level, given that subpar is a huge improvement over Hart

TLDR: I feel very, very sorry for Mr Dalton, especially for his ligaments and bones.

 

I don't know what they were thinking by not signing or at least drafting another legit starting RT contender.  As usual an ownership issue - and Taylor has to already be feeling the pressure and disadvantages coaches have here.  Going into this year, I don't know that there's a worse o-line in the entire league, and they knew that in the off-season, yet were content on depending on another rookie draft pick, and signing a mediocre FA at G, and literally nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I don't know what they were thinking by not signing or at least drafting another legit starting RT contender.  As usual an ownership issue - and Taylor has to already be feeling the pressure and disadvantages coaches have here.  Going into this year, I don't know that there's a worse o-line in the entire league, and they knew that in the off-season, yet were content on depending on another rookie draft pick, and signing a mediocre FA at G, and literally nothing else.

I disagree.  Not an ownership issue. 

They have simply struck out on significant investment in the line. 

2015 - Top 10 line according to various stat based sites like PFF and Football outsiders.

2018 and 2019. 2 new line coaches hand picked by HC.  If those guys can’t coach it’s the HC’s fault.

Tobin simply has struck out with significant investment.  Given the level of picks AND FA signings the Bengals should have an elite line IF they hit on the picks.

2014- HC personally scouted and they trade up for 4th round center.  Bodine Sucks. 

2015 - 1st and 2nd round picks on tackles. Ced and Fisher suck. 

2016 - Extended All Pro Tackle 1 year- Whitworth Awesome.   Drafted 5th round Westerman the proverbial “steal” as graded as 1st/2nd rounder.  Can’t earn starting job. 

2017 - when shit hits the fan and all their selections are proven shitty

2018- Trade down adding highly regarded LT Cordy Glenn.  Use 21st pick on Center Price.  Glenn inconsistent and was replaced briefly  by rookie LT going into 2019. Price sucked

2019 - Draft top Alabama Tackle Williams. Draft 4th round OSU guard Jordan.  Signed FA former 3rd guard.  Remains to be seen. 

 

I do do not consider Redmond, Hart or Hopkins as investment as they are undrafted/late round projects.  Their playing time to date underscores the failure of highly drafted prospects.

There’s not a logical argument that can be made suggesting Marvin Lewis and Taylor have been handicapped by ownership in regards to the crappy offensive line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see it as follows: Usually the Bengals had decent starting linemen.  If not average, close to it.  

Where they went astray was their depth.  They signed guys who wouldn’t even be on a roster elsewhere and handed them 2nd unit status.  Inevitable injuries came along and our depth guys were, heh, out of their depth.

This year is different.  This year we’re going into the season with castoffs and never was type guys not as depth but as starters.

Depression sets in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes cause this gets me really excited about the season.

Why not Donald Penn would have been a better choice in my opinion, plus somebody new for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fat Andre is better than Hart.  Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 4:17 PM, AMPHAR said:

I disagree.  Not an ownership issue. 

They have simply struck out on significant investment in the line. 

2015 - Top 10 line according to various stat based sites like PFF and Football outsiders.

2018 and 2019. 2 new line coaches hand picked by HC.  If those guys can’t coach it’s the HC’s fault.

Tobin simply has struck out with significant investment.  Given the level of picks AND FA signings the Bengals should have an elite line IF they hit on the picks.

2014- HC personally scouted and they trade up for 4th round center.  Bodine Sucks. 

2015 - 1st and 2nd round picks on tackles. Ced and Fisher suck. 

2016 - Extended All Pro Tackle 1 year- Whitworth Awesome.   Drafted 5th round Westerman the proverbial “steal” as graded as 1st/2nd rounder.  Can’t earn starting job. 

2017 - when shit hits the fan and all their selections are proven shitty

2018- Trade down adding highly regarded LT Cordy Glenn.  Use 21st pick on Center Price.  Glenn inconsistent and was replaced briefly  by rookie LT going into 2019. Price sucked

2019 - Draft top Alabama Tackle Williams. Draft 4th round OSU guard Jordan.  Signed FA former 3rd guard.  Remains to be seen. 

 

I do do not consider Redmond, Hart or Hopkins as investment as they are undrafted/late round projects.  Their playing time to date underscores the failure of highly drafted prospects.

There’s not a logical argument that can be made suggesting Marvin Lewis and Taylor have been handicapped by ownership in regards to the crappy offensive line. 

How is that not an ownership issue? They've "struck out" for 25+ years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

How is that not an ownership issue? They've "struck out" for 25+ years.

Clearly I was absolving ownership of everything with my reply.  My bad, continue to excuse Marvin.    He clearly had nothing to do with the “25+ years”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Clearly I was absolving ownership of everything with my reply.  My bad, continue to excuse Marvin.    He clearly had nothing to do with the “25+ years”. 

You’ve got to go back to FA Bobbie Williams and Mathis to find competent line signings. That’s an ownership issue. To ignore the role ownership played in this debacle is naive and uninformed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingwilly said:

You’ve got to go back to FA Bobbie Williams and Mathis to find competent line signings. That’s an ownership issue. To ignore the role ownership played in this debacle is naive and uninformed. 

Nope.  The above list of OL transactions is real.  There’s was no handicapping Marvin.

He had a good lines; the post 2015 transition flopped and you can believe that Marvin no say if you want.  You’d be wrong but whatever. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

How is that not an ownership issue? They've "struck out" for 25+ years.

Boom.  You said it. Hey, I play franchise NBA on Xbox.  If I can’t figure out how to GM a championship quality video game team after 25 years of trying... its on ME.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Today there’s talk of the Redskins listening to trade offers for Williams. 

Man, it sure would be nice to hear the Bengals are in that conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Caught the morning TC update today on the radio.  700 wlw TC correspondent Tony Pike was impressed with the line coach.

More vocal.  Much more hands on.  Sounded like a good start of practice for line but then went south.   3 sacks in a red zone drill.    Much work to be done, but very impressed with Turner on the first day with pads. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

 Caught the morning TC update today on the radio.  700 wlw TC correspondent Tony Pike was impressed with the line coach.

More vocal.  Much more hands on.  Sounded like a good start of practice for line but then went south.   3 sacks in a red zone drill.    Much work to be done, but very impressed with Turner on the first day with pads. 

 

 

I hope he has a magic wand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×