Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

Well sounds like the rumor is true many people now tweeting he will be the coach.

So I wonder who his assistant coaches will be.

Interesting hire as I thought EB would have got it. Nice to see an outside hire, now give him the team and let him pick his staff and players.

Oh and stop being stingy during free agency spend money and do something :)

Just read this dude’s rather spare Wikipedia page.  He’s married to the daughter of former A&M coach Mike Sherman, and coached there under his father in law.

i can’t tell if this is true or not, but it appears he was the Cincinnati Bearcats OC for Tommy Tuberville for one season - 2016.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, I made a comment about looing into what McVay was able to do with the Rams.
They apparently decided to look that way as well.

While I changed my mind along the way and wanted more of a Bieniemy or Richard type, I can't really be upset about Taylor either.
It's the change we wanted with a shit ton of new coaches.

I will readily admit, somewhat begrudgingly, this is the most excited I've been about this team in a handful of years.
I'm curious about the coaches brought on with him as well.  Hope Pollack and Van Pelt both stick around.

Brief thoughts if it is indeed Taylor:

John Harbaugh’s resume didn’t look all that impressive when ravens picked him either. Special teams coach for the Eagles. Tomlin only had one year as a d-coordinator when picked. Just saying.  No idea if he will be anywhere near as good as those two have been, but thin resume doesn’t bother me.

Sam Wyche’s resume was hella thin too before he was hired.  Point is, either you have what it takes , or you don’t. I don’t think there is any one path to success as head coach. David Shula sucked because he was terrible, not because he had wrong experience. Wyche worked out because he absolutely had the creative flair and personality to succeed, none of which you could fairly see coming off of one year head coaching at IU and anonymous asst coaching in NFL for years before that (learning under Bill Walsh).

Taylor may be a disaster, but, he could also be quietly inspired. At least he isn’t Gase, or Hue, or Joseph, or some other warmed over more of the same coach. This team and org needs shock paddles. Taylor is at least that. And if he is an abject disaster, then maybe in two years when he is fired he gifts the new coach with the #1 pick in 2021 and we get the Clemson qb. But this is as interested as I have been as a bengals fan in a long time, in any event.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I'm surprised that he's willing to take such a risk here,  really curious who will join him now, assuming this is true.  I also wonder if he's going to want to draft his own QB right away.

Just a bad job of evaluation by fans and media.  Ignoring reality. 

A lot depends on what offense the next coach wants and how it folds in with Dalton.  Risk that the next HC can control.

Other stuff:

1. This was a young and injured team last season 

2. Mike Brown is less of factor and has been since 2010. 

3. Through a period of 2010-2015.  The franchise built what many declared NFL best rosters. 

4. Reality is Marvin squandered talent and had bad injuries effecting their post season. 

The next coach gets a decent QB.  HOF WR.  1,000 Yard WR.   AFC leading Rusher.

shitty o-line with what many considered a top o-line coach. 

Low expectations an automatic excuse of Mike Brown to protect them. 

Could easily jump up and be a wild card team or division champ.

Marvin Lewis took on far more risk and won so much for this franchise against the front office. 

The name Dave Shula being thrown around,lol.

He never had a chance here.  Mike Brown was busy securing the family wealth.  Fighting a stadium battle.  Fighting a tax bill.  Trying to get enough wealth to buy controlling ownership during Dave Shula days.

Sure Katie and Troy could do the same, I guess. 

But NFL franchises are more secure today than they were in 1991.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/zac-taylor-rams-press-taylor-eagles-head-coaches

Pretty good read.  Our new coach’s dad played for Switzer at Oklahoma.  His brother is married to a cheerleader from Oklahoma.  

Some pretty good insight into how a chance encounter with Chip Kelly helped his brother’s career.  Press was visiting Zach at the Dolphins facility, Kelly shows up for a random visit with an assistant coach, ends up spending hours with the two brothers talking football.  Press wasn’t even in the NFL at the time.

Funny story about Zach’s year in the CFL - he washed out of the nfl before even making it to camp.  Signs with a CFL team, gets up there, goes to the facility and picks up a CFL ball, which is larger than an NFL ball.  He said he knew his playing career was over when he picked up that ball, apparently knew he wouldn’t be able to throw it.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Just a bad job of evaluation by fans and media.  Ignoring reality. 

A lot depends on what offense the next coach wants and how it folds in with Dalton.  Risk that the next HC can control.

Other stuff:

1. This was a young and injured team last season 

2. Mike Brown is less of factor and has been since 2010. 

3. Through a period of 2010-2015.  The franchise built what many declared NFL best rosters. 

4. Reality is Marvin squandered talent and had bad injuries effecting their post season. 

The next coach gets a decent QB.  HOF WR.  1,000 Yard WR.   AFC leading Rusher.

shitty o-line with what many considered a top o-line coach. 

Low expectations an automatic excuse of Mike Brown to protect them. 

Could easily jump up and be a wild card team or division champ.

Marvin Lewis took on far more risk and won so much for this franchise against the front office. 

Without repeating my previous post regarding this, Marvin is 61, was in his mid-40's when hired, had a solid resume in the NFL as a DC that he could always fall back on, and the Bengals' might've been his last chance at a HC'ing position in the NFL after being passed over for years by the rest of the league. 

Taylor, with a weak resume at age 35 beyond his associations, could have his NFL and possibly Div I college coaching career derailed or obliterated by a miserable stint here. Right now it's all in front of him, for Marvin it was all behind him outside of being a HC. 

The damage you can do to your reputation by coaching here is quite real, the Brown family still keeps the purse strings tight and lacks the resources other teams have - let's not act like Marvin ever won a playoff game, he didn't, and that's why no one's knocking on his door right now to coach for them.

All I'm saying is there's real career risk at that age when your whole career is in front of you still, to coach here, it's still a notoriously difficult place to coach.  I don't know why anyone would argue that.

Doesn't look like things are close to being settled yet, unless more news has come out since: (who knows if he's even interested? See my reasoning for the risk he'll take here versus waiting for a better job, the guy has all the time in the world to build his resume and wait, so why wouldn't he?) That said, I don't know, he may be 100% interested (hope he is actually, I'm not down-playing him as a candidate, just the situation here, which of course is not what it was in 2002, so I'm not sure how coaches view things here now).

Just echoing the fact that I think he would need to surround himself with some mentor types if he wants to be successful (if that isn't obvious):

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Doesn't look like things are close to being settled yet, unless more news has come out since: (who knows if he's even interested? See my reasoning for the risk he'll take here versus waiting for a better job, the guy has all the time in the world to build his resume and wait, so why wouldn't he?) That said, I don't know, he may be 100% interested (hope he is actually, I'm not down-playing him as a candidate, just the situation here, which of course is not what it was in 2002, so I'm not sure how coaches view things here now).

Just echoing the fact that I think he would need to surround himself with some mentor types if he wants to be successful (if that isn't obvious):

Sources are saying Bengals could have violated league rules by indicating Zac was the guy while his team is in playoffs.

It won’t be official while Rams play on.  Or for any other candidate in the playoffs

53 minutes ago, COB said:

Hire your father-in-law to work for you?  No thanks.  The potential conflicts and pitfalls boggle the mind.

I don't know, sons work for fathers all the time in coaching, etc.., if he fails then his father-in-law's out the door as well.  I doubt that happens any ways.  But if he accepts the position after the playoffs (am rooting for Rams to win it all so Whit can get a ring if nothing else, plus they're my 2nd team) just hope he does surround himself with some senior people where needed, relative or not.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches