Auden Tate, WR - 7th Round

cincyhokie

On 8/4/2018 at 10:20 AM, kingwilly said:

Jeez, Dre looks awful. Does he not care about the film he's giving everyone? Most vids of him this camp are of him getting toasted by poor effort. 

If you believe anything Baghdad Hob says this time of year, Dre has stepped it up in practice.  But if he plays like he did last year again, he's still a liability.

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

Does he remind anyone else of a slightly bigger Anquan Boldin? Boldin's combine numbers (especially 40) were in same range as Tate's I think...

We can only hope he is in the same range as Boldin.

16 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

We can only hope he is in the same range as Boldin.

Sure. That's my point, I guess. That maybe it's okay to dream on Tate a little bit for down the road. Redzone threat now, but with his size and catch radius, wondering if it's okay to dream on him a little bit for his second and third year in the league. I exchanged some tweets with Joe Goodberry this morning, Goodberry seems to think that precise route running from Tate would unlock a bit more game speed. If so, then that is something he can work toward...

• Like 1

Tate made 3 catches in the game last night (1 called back on penalty) and all 3 were highlight worthy.
This guys is making the roster at this point and I think I mentioned Cody Core is the odd man out.

Thing is, they typically activate 5 WR's for game day and here's how I see that:
AJ, Ross, Boyd, Erickson are pretty much locks in my mind.

If Core is out, do you inactivate Malone to get Tate on the field during the game ??
I would love to see a situation where they have all 6 active on game days, because I thought Malone showed well last night as well.

Saying that Core is gone is an easy call except for special teams.  He's role there is pretty large and he's good at it.  

There is no other receiver that can fill that role for him unless Tate is faster than we suspect.

The hope, however, is that a new guy from a different position may be able to fill the void.  One of the DBs, maybe?

Army, are you sure they didn't go with 6 WRs last year?  I thought Core was active but was pretty strictly a teams guy.  I may not be remembering correctly.  

It'll be very interesting to see how it plays out.

From what I was able to gather, they carried 7 WR’s last year and the majority of the games saw them inactivate two of them.

Much like some of what we’ve seen with the new coaches, maybe we see a change in philosophy in how they approach the game day roster as well this year.

Who knows ??

8 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Tate made 3 catches in the game last night (1 called back on penalty) and all 3 were highlight worthy.
This guys is making the roster at this point and I think I mentioned Cody Core is the odd man out.

Thing is, they typically activate 5 WR's for game day and here's how I see that:
AJ, Ross, Boyd, Erickson are pretty much locks in my mind.

If Core is out, do you inactivate Malone to get Tate on the field during the game ??
I would love to see a situation where they have all 6 active on game days, because I thought Malone showed well last night as well.

Yeah someone will get hurt, and Malone should probably fill the role he did last year if he stays healthy.  

3 hours ago, skyline said:

Saying that Core is gone is an easy call except for special teams.  He's role there is pretty large and he's good at it.  

There is no other receiver that can fill that role for him unless Tate is faster than we suspect.

The hope, however, is that a new guy from a different position may be able to fill the void.  One of the DBs, maybe?

Army, are you sure they didn't go with 6 WRs last year?  I thought Core was active but was pretty strictly a teams guy.  I may not be remembering correctly.  

It'll be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Yes, played in 13 games (think he got hurt at one point) but no receptions last year, was all ST's.  Thought he had good potential as a WR, but hasn't gotten any targets, not sure where he was last night (just didn't see him).

17 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yes, played in 13 games (think he got hurt at one point) but no receptions last year, was all ST's.  Thought he had good potential as a WR, but hasn't gotten any targets, not sure where he was last night (just didn't see him).

Core was out there later in the game.  Didn't do anything, per usual.

It’s going to be fun to see how they shape the roster.  With Tate showing red zone ball skills, it’s difficult not to keep him active just as TD threat.  He’s like a second Eifert or Kroft out there with even better route running.

As Army mentioned, they’ve got tons of special teams guys in the draft this year to go along with what they already had.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Core gets replaced on STs.  Sucks for Darrin Simmons but...

He didn't show very much on ST but neither did anyone else. 

Perhaps the release of Iloka means they'll be light at dB and be heavy at wr? 

Tate is interesting but big slow wrs don't do much for me. Maybe he will be kept if they believe Eifert won't be available. 

This team roster feels unsettled with iloka being dumped and ogbuehi kept (so far). 

20 hours ago, GapControl said:

Could be the moves needed to sign Adam Jones back and then bring in OL somehow (trade).  I think they already had a way to do extensions without cutting iloka. If iloka is cut then Ced should be too.  He’s got a lot more dead money on his deal though.

It's amazing to me that Ced's incompetence hasn't gotten Andy or a running back seriously injured. He's got to go. Which might sound cold but he's as terrible of a tackle as I've seen in a very long time. I honestly can't believe he gets on the field at all. 

7 hours ago, kingwilly said:

It's amazing to me that Ced's incompetence hasn't gotten Andy or a running back seriously injured. He's got to go. Which might sound cold but he's as terrible of a tackle as I've seen in a very long time. I honestly can't believe he gets on the field at all. 

Ced makes me wish Dennis “TackleEligible” Roland was still active 

19 hours ago, kingwilly said:

As recently as a few months ago Alexander was blathering on about how Ced was going to be a great tackle in this league, just wait and see.  So when he gets cut, as we all think he will, I'm looking forward to Alexander picking him up and letting him develop in the Cowboys' system.  Or that won't happen.  We'll see.

15 hours ago, COB said:

As recently as a few months ago Alexander was blathering on about how Ced was going to be a great tackle in this league, just wait and see.  So when he gets cut, as we all think he will, I'm looking forward to Alexander picking him up and letting him develop in the Cowboys' system.  Or that won't happen.  We'll see.

Hahaha god that made me laugh- “gonna be a great tackle in this league”... hey... hold this ketchup bottle