Potential Coaching Candidates

COB

Good for the Bengals.  Hope Austin works out and we kill it.  It will be really interesting to see how he handles Burfict.  Seems like a player that has incredible football IQ and physicality, wants to do everything right, then in the heat of battle reverts to petty schoolyard cheapshots.  I'm not sure how a coach approaches such a conundrum.  Presumably this question was part of the interview.  

6 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

How does that work?  "Hi, I'm an assistant DB coach.  But I'm also like a vee-pee of coaching operations!  I'm not really sure what that means, though."  It's the assistant to the assistant guy that assists with things.  Seems like a cheap way of throwing a title at a guy you really like but can't make your DC.  I'd surprised if he took a gig like that.  It's a demotion no matter how much money you throw at him.  

It’s why Marvin made Paul Alexander Assistant Head Coach while being line coach.  Makes it harder for team’s to poach them off a staff. 

The Bengals make a couple of moves that are trending in a positive direction.   Good to see.

The real "I see better than I hear" moment will be FA.  The draft is the draft and I completely expect them to take the highest graded OT.

But we all know that everything is dependent on the Lumina and how it holds up in the winter.   If Mike has to cover some repairs, say goodbye to any chance of a real FA move or two.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

The 

But we all know that everything is dependent on the Lumina and how it holds up in the winter.   If Mike has to cover some repairs, say goodbye to any chance of a real FA move or two.

That Lumina won't run on it's own gas.

• Haha 1

We need Nick Saban as head coach. He goes in trailing by 13 at halftime with zero points, makes adjustments by benching his starting quarterback and wins the Championship.

That my friends is how you coach a team.

He started a true freshman RB, LT and QB at the start of the second half - didn't just change his QB. He also had six true freshman  in for their tying TD drive. I do think Marvin could learn a little something from that myself...

The Sith Lord has balls Marvin couldn't fathom in his wildest dreams.  

Pulling your experienced senior in the National Championship game to put in a completely green freshman?  Unbelievable.

I was rooting for Georgia but my hat goes off to Alabama.  

• Like 1

By the way, for as much deserved shit as we give the Bengals front office for moving slowly - they didn't in replacing Guenther. Not only won the services of a guy in demand, but in looking at the Ravens, they haven't done much to being to replace Dean Pees as their DC yet (and Pees "retired" about one second after the loss to the Bengals)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

So John Kitna interviewing for a job on the bengals staff, and I'm actully ok with this move if it happens.

John Kitna?  I don't even know what that dude's been up to.  Headed to the googlesphere for research.

Just read a bunch of stuff about Kitna.  Seems like a complete tool.  Even though he played QB in the league, that ended 6 years ago and since then he's been a high school math teacher and football coach.  

Not interested.  He stirred up significant interpersonal drama in his high school coaching, basically was a dick.  I can see reasons why Andy would be pushing for this, but I hope they steer clear of Kitna.  

7 hours ago, COB said:

The Sith Lord has balls Marvin couldn't fathom in his wildest dreams.  

Pulling your experienced senior in the National Championship game to put in a completely green freshman?  Unbelievable.

I was rooting for Georgia but my hat goes off to Alabama.  

Hurt is a redshirt sophomore. 

/sarcasm alert/ You see, there's this thing called football practice. It's there that these football coaches gain insight about who is capable of doing football things. They wouldn't have put in the Frosh if they didn't already have a strong understanding and expectation of what he could do. 

Thing is, most NCAA teams don't have the abundance of talent from which to have such options, like at Alabama. Teams in the NFL have very rigid hierarchies, seniority, etc., so they don't dare take risks like that, because to have it go wrong and then be hounded, like Maroney was after he installed Peterman, or fired like McAdoo when he did the similar thing with Webb. NFL teams won't take a 'shake it up' gamble, unless it's a true changing the guard move. 

He didn't have much choice if he wanted to win. He had the talent, capabilities understood, to put in to see if they could overcome the deficit. I see it as his only option. It worked. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, COB said:

Just read a bunch of stuff about Kitna.  Seems like a complete tool.  Even though he played QB in the league, that ended 6 years ago and since then he's been a high school math teacher and football coach.  

Not interested.  He stirred up significant interpersonal drama in his high school coaching, basically was a dick.  I can see reasons why Andy would be pushing for this, but I hope they steer clear of Kitna.  

Strange that Kitna was being a dick to players or students.  I remember him as being “religious” enough that he wouldn’t cuss.  Would think he’d be more of a rah rah guy at the HS level.