The Folly of the Comp Pick Obsession

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, kingwilly said:

That's some poor returns right there. Maybe 3 nfl starters. 

Comp picks have a special appeal to Mike, no doubt about that.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you are somewhat trading a non-price controlled 2nd or 3rd contract for 4-5 years of a price-controlled rookie contract?  

Our First Contract Shaman would drive his golf cart down I-75 to make that deal.  But he doesn't have to.  Instead it requires the Bengals  front office to do what they do best.  Which is nothing.

• Like 1

When you're cheap and just in it to profit, comp picks are a great way to fill-up the roster with bodies after the defections and poor picks/development of players I guess. 

As evidenced above, the Bengals' rarely, if ever, make good use of them.  (Caldwell and Johnson may have been the exceptions) And if course if they develop, they are almost never re-signed (too expensive!).

• Like 1

I honestly don't think the Bengals are obsessed with comp picks.  What I think we are seeing is that when bengals.com hobsonizes the situation when we lose major free agents, the comp picks get mentioned loud, early, and frequently.  Said another way, it's his favorite excuse to cite.

All that said, there is a right way and a wrong way to play the comp picks game and what we are seeing now absolutely isn't the right way.

I don't really care.   They haven't won a Superbowl.   They haven't won a playoff game in the salary cap era. 

So whatever they do or what they've done hasn't worked to complete satisfaction.

Sure.   The Bengals post 2010 have been more focused on comp picks.   Does it work?  Should they be focused on comp picks?

I don't know and really don't care.   Win a playoff game already.

Above is FAKE NEWS (everyone panic!!!) or faulty logic, IMO.   It shows the comp pick side simply because it's simple data to organize and present.  The alternative is to be players in the FA market.   There's is a high rate of failure there too.  Much harder to organize and understand.   Stuff like this is clutter doesn't tell the whole story and really why do you want to figure it out?  None of it matters because whatever they've done good or bad hasn't advanced them up the Superbowl mountain.

Why complicate things?

Whatever they've done good hasn't advanced them up the Superbowl mountain.
Whatever they've done bad has played a part in the reason WHY they haven't advanced.

While I don't really care in the grand scheme of things, their poor execution should certainly be called into question when they speak about comp picks the way they do.
Seemingly every time a player leaves, there seems to come talk about an expected comp pick outcome.  Sanu and Jones leaving comes to mind.

I just think they suck all around and this is but a small example of the level of that suck.

• Like 1

So, Hobs is out with his latest story on the .com, the subject of which is Moobs and Minter. So naturally the first thing mentioned is...comp picks!

The Bengals are now in the segment of NFL free agency they want to make sure they don’t lose the compensation picks they’ll get in the 2018 draft for losing right guard Kevin Zeitler (a projected third-rounder) and left tackle Andrew Whitworth, a fifth-rounder.

You go, Geoff!

So, let our 1st round pick that has played at a high level and fits our o-line scheme walk for a 3rd round comp pick in 2018.

And people wonder why fans call into question the decisions the organization makes and their commitment to winning.

Nothing says "WINNING" like the above scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

So I wandered over to the .com for the first time in days and see Hobs has written something again. Let's see how many bog-standard Hobs/Bengals boxes we can check.

Greening of Green-Dalton Bengals

Goofy attempt at wordplay in the headline that's so bad it has to be explained in the deck? Check.

The Bengals head into Draft Month focusing on just that. 

Obvious lead is obvious? Check.

The release of middle linebacker Rey Maualuga last weekend looks to be the final major pre-draft move in a fitting finish to an offseason they have pledged to get younger and faster.

Rewriting history on the fly? Check. (Remember, this is the team that wanted to retain Whitworth and signed Gilberry and Smith while letting Zeitler and Burkhead walk.)

After they picked up six free agents and lost six free agents, the final tally showed them securing four starters with an average age of 28 and losing three with an average age of 31...

Paltering? Check.

... while keeping their powder dry for two more compensation draft picks next year.

See thread title. Check.

It’s about what they had planned with their budget (in the yard of $20 million) to re-stock instead of rebuild while keeping true to the formula that has yielded the most successful decade in club history with one of the most homegrown rosters in the NFL.

Reminder that they keep most of their draft picks (no matter if they are any good)? Check.

Only middle linebacker Kevin Minter and right guard Andre Smith have come from other clubs and Smith returns after a year hiatus interrupted his seven-year run as the Bengals starting right tackle.

Oh wait, we already listed paltering.

The Bengals have been here before and been to the postseason not that long ago with this head coach and quarterback.

Duuude, stahp!

They’ll turn the loss of Zeitler and Whitworth into third and fifth-round comp picks,  respectively next year, 

OK, let's see, that paltering x3 and comp picks x2...sigh.

After Ogbuehi got benched at right tackle late last season, the Bengals are crossing their fingers that Ogbuehi’s belief he’s a natural left tackle is correct after they took him No. 1 in 2015.

Admission the strategy is wishin-hoping-prayin'? Check.

“One thing we know is most of them will make it. Most draft picks stick,” Brown said.

Paltering x3, comp picks x2, keeping all your draft picks even if they suck is an unalloyed good stat x2.

The Bengals are getting an extra first-round pick in the sense that rookie cornerback William Jackson never played last season because of injury. The same with fourth-round pick Andrew Billings, penciled in as Peko’s replacement.

Rookies getting hurt is good because they're like an extra pick next season? Check.

And finally, the kicker:

“We have some guys that couldn’t practice,” Lewis said. “That makes my job tougher. I believe everybody has to practice in order to go out and play. We can go back to that mantra.”

Practice. We're talking 'bout practice. Check.

Don't you go changing, Hobs.