OT- Monday Football - Just boring

AMPHAR

I have no idea why.     But I typically watch Sunday Night Football.   The college primetime games.      In comparison the Monday Night Football broadcast are just so boring.

At first I discounted it as a result of watching football all weekend and not being in the mood.    But for the Bengals game last night, it was just blah.   That's a game I was looking forward to watching.   Just the whole thing is blah.

I think it's just overexposure. When I was growing up in the Seventies you were lucky to get three pro games a week, two on Sunday and MNF. Lots of Sundays you only got one, thanks to NFL blackout rules. Now you get at least three and maybe four (if there's a London game) pro games on Sunday, plus MNF and TNF. Meanwhile whereas once you were lucky to get a local college game and maybe a Notre Dame game, now Saturdays are wall-to-wall college games across multiple channels. This Saturday for example you can choose from 57 different games! By the time you get to Monday night, who wants to watch football anymore, especially if it's a crap game between two bad teams?

I think MNF is just a very boring broadcast on ESPN.  The best matchups are always going to be in the CBS/Fox late games or on SNF, so ESPN gets these awkward leftovers kind of like TNF.  The commentating is very dead too.  Tirico is the epitome of snore, and whoever they replaced him with is pretty much the same guy.  Gruden is an understandable counter-effect to that, but it isn't enough to save the product from being so comatose.

I didn't think it was this boring when it was on ABC a decade ago.

The first few years I started playing fantasy football, I would tune into more games, but that's no longer the case.
For the most part I watch the Bengals, except when they play the Steelers, and that's about it.

College on the other hand can trot out almost anything and I will tune it to watch.
How about the Fargo Community College of Gardening Science against Mother Mary of the Blind ??
Yep, i'll kick back and watch that go down.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Washington Redskins ??
Not a chance in hell.

25 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

The first few years I started playing fantasy football, I would tune into more games, but that's no longer the case.
For the most part I watch the Bengals, except when they play the Steelers, and that's about it.

College on the other hand can trot out almost anything and I will tune it to watch.
How about the Fargo Community College of Gardening Science against Mother Mary of the Blind ??
Yep, i'll kick back and watch that go down.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Washington Redskins ??
Not a chance in hell.

Yep sounds like me lol. This is the first year in not playing FF, this is the first year I can't seem to get into football. 

To tell you the truth not really sure why, I'll watch or listen to the bengals games, but that's about it. 

I guess maybe it has something to do with the kids getting older always wanting to do something, or my 2 year old always screaming for Mickey Mouse lol. 

My nights I would rather watch movies or TV, or just sit back and play video games. 

Either way it's the first year that I can remember me not getting excited for football Sunday or getting my FF team ready. I don't know maybe one day I'll get back into it, but for now the bengals games are enough for me 

I enjoy college much more than the NFL, have for a while.  It's just a better, more exciting product over-all, but I think Hoosier's right in that the NFL is over-exposed, in addition to all of the stupid bands/crap pop music, commercialization, fireworks and plane flyovers - it's ridiculous and cheesy as hell. I don't even care about Fantasy Football any longer, hardly at all...probably my last year doing it.  

Also, where are all the freak stars in the NFL these days? Gone are the Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton's, Jerry Rice's, Deion Sanders',  Bo Jackson's, Lawrence Taylor's et al..., these guys are so pumped-up and big now, Rb's don't last long, everyone is hurt constantly, so you're watching a lot of mediocre football on Sundays it seems.  Even the Pats are just a system team lacking any real entertaining players - even the 49ers dynasty had amazing guys to watch like Lott, Rice, Taylor, etc..., Who do the Patriots have? Gronk? And he's constantly hurt. It's very specialized and system-oriented with the same old revolving door coaches running the same systems for years now.  I just don't find it very compelling most of the time.  

Case in point - Marvin - hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade and is still coaching here for some reason.  It's silly and boring at this point, his whole thing is boring, his teams never change - and the owner has no hope of ever winning a SB (which he admitted this past off-season).  So why should I care so much anymore? I just don't get emotionally involved the way I used to - not worth it, nor the $$ to go to games.  I'll still watch whenever I can and it's convenient, but I've missed games this year more than any other - and I didn't miss anything.

Every industry knows you have to come out with new products to keep your customers coming back.

If there are any golfers in here, you know how Taylor Made keeps coming out with new drivers and irons.  They aren't huge advances, but just a change to keep things interesting and stimulate some interest.  Jewelry, clothing, cars, etc.  Every industry knows you need to refresh the product, make it seem new and different.

So what have the Bengals done?  The same Marvin Lewis team, year after year, making the same stupid mistakes, choking away big games in the same way, over and over.  Most owners would have, by now, realized that their customer base wanted to see something different.  Not Mike.  

Imagine if Star Wars, every year, came out with a Star Wars movie release.  But instead of a new movie, they just re-showed the original, year after year after year? 

That's pretty much what Mike is doing.  And it's boring, predictable, and ultimately unsuccesful.  

The NFL has a ton of margin for error.  They've been so financially rewarded that there seemed to be no reason to make any but the most superficial changes (Look, the Fox football robot has yellow trim this year!  Look, new singer on Sunday night football!).   

They are near a tipping point.  I'm a huge NFL fan and right now the whole scheme seems stale as hell.  Turned on the tube last weekend.  Filling my screen was old terry Bradshaw's mug, reading glasses accentuating just how outdated he is.  He blathered some meaningless drivel, could have been 15 years ago for all the insight he brings.  Then they pulled back for a full shot of the set.  I'm not sure how many times they can put "NFL" and "State Farm" on that set, but they've gone way past what is reasonable.  I'm just tired of being taken for a patsy by the NFL.  I turned the tv off.  

Shula's point about the players all being so big, so injured, is right on.  They've juiced the average players to the point that extraordinary players are no longer extraordinary.  Everyone is freakishly big and fast.  Among many other changes, they need to get their players off HGH and steroids.  It's gotten stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

Every industry knows you have to come out with new products to keep your customers coming back.

If there are any golfers in here, you know how Taylor Made keeps coming out with new drivers and irons.  They aren't huge advances, but just a change to keep things interesting and stimulate some interest.  Jewelry, clothing, cars, etc.  Every industry knows you need to refresh the product, make it seem new and different.

So what have the Bengals done?  The same Marvin Lewis team, year after year, making the same stupid mistakes, choking away big games in the same way, over and over.  Most owners would have, by now, realized that their customer base wanted to see something different.  Not Mike.  

Imagine if Star Wars, every year, came out with a Star Wars movie release.  But instead of a new movie, they just re-showed the original, year after year after year? 

That's pretty much what Mike is doing.  And it's boring, predictable, and ultimately unsuccesful.  

The NFL has a ton of margin for error.  They've been so financially rewarded that there seemed to be no reason to make any but the most superficial changes (Look, the Fox football robot has yellow trim this year!  Look, new singer on Sunday night football!).   

They are near a tipping point.  I'm a huge NFL fan and right now the whole scheme seems stale as hell.  Turned on the tube last weekend.  Filling my screen was old terry Bradshaw's mug, reading glasses accentuating just how outdated he is.  He blathered some meaningless drivel, could have been 15 years ago for all the insight he brings.  Then they pulled back for a full shot of the set.  I'm not sure how many times they can put "NFL" and "State Farm" on that set, but they've gone way past what is reasonable.  I'm just tired of being taken for a patsy by the NFL.  I turned the tv off.  

Shula's point about the players all being so big, so injured, is right on.  They've juiced the average players to the point that extraordinary players are no longer extraordinary.  Everyone is freakishly big and fast.  Among many other changes, they need to get their players off HGH and steroids.  It's gotten stupid.

Yeah.   For my movie watching lifetime it seems like Hollywood figured out that you have to get the deal done around 2 hours of screen time.    Probably a lesson for the NFL.

As for the Bengals,  as far as I can tell they hate anything that would make fans happy. 

Of course these current players aren't juiced up.   It's natural what's happening.   Nevermind the shrinkage after they stop playing.  

1 hour ago, COB said:

These are two really important points. There is absolutely nothing compelling about pregame shows anymore and a lot of the "talent" desperately needs to be put out to pasture. The whole thing needs a complete re-think, but it doesn't get it because of point two: it's all about the Benjamins. There's so much sponsorship and merchandising that it's like watching an infomercial.

Do you see now even with Yahoo fantasy football that the player with the highest score from the week is now featured ??

They are "Your fantasy shop player of the week".

This gives you the opportunity to go to their website and purchase merchandise.
What the hell do I want with an Antonio Brown Steelers jersey ??

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Do you see now even with Yahoo fantasy football that the player with the highest score from the week is now featured ??

They are "Your fantasy shop player of the week".

This gives you the opportunity to go to their website and purchase merchandise.
What the hell do I want with an Antonio Brown Steelers jersey ??

It could come in handy next time you're out of toilet paper.