Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I'm all about drafting more talent and felt with the injury to Gio that RB was going to be a target in the draft regardless of Rex as well.
My concern is the coaches getting that player on the field, as opposed to going with the Veteran or "leader" that they feel has earned something.
I think that's a large driver in ME wanting to see them make moves to get higher impact quality players as opposed to quantity.
I simply think this team needs quality over quantity at this point.  11 picks actually joining the team won't have much impact outside of the practice squad.
I could be wrong.

• Like 2

Certainly would be on board with better blocking, but if forced to look through the eyes of the coaches, I don't think they see the need.
I think they feel (Good God) like they have what they need with the exception of not knowing what happens with Zeitler.
I could see them simply riding with Westerman and another later round OG for depth.  Not that I'm a fan of that line of thought mind you.

I think we will be seeing a DE or LB at #9.
If you are of the mindset of giving Dalton more weapons, did you guys watch Williams last night ??
Have to think him and AJ would be quite the headache for opposing defenses.  Not saying WR should be the pick either, but its debatable.

31 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I'm still on RB train but the WR from Clemson has swayed me.     Just a monster play maker last night.

Yep, Williams would have to be an intriguing thought for the team should he be there at #9.

Anyway around, there is going to be a player that will impact this team from day #1 for the 2017 season.
LB, DE, WR, etc.

I don't know how they can go receiver in the first round with a straight face.  Sign Lafell, and Combine him with Boyd and Green, seems like one of the least necessary positions on the team.

Plus, if we want Alexander to continue to field O-lines that, by most statistical analysis', are capable of being in the top 31 in the league, if not in the to 30!, then we need to continue to feed him a steady diet of first and second round talent.  

I'm not thrilled about the idea of receiver at 9, but I can make a case for it. One, the more weapons you surround Andy with, the better he does. We've all seen that. Two, while I like Boyd, Core and LaFell, without Green they struggled to get open against better defenses. And three, AJ turns 29 in July.

I can see Williams at 9 very easily.

Well, to be fair, while I liked what LaFell brought this year he just turned 30, isn't getting younger, and is a free agent.
He cost them 2.5 million last year and the #9 pick will likely cost them 16 million over 4 years with the ability to keep for a 5th year.
That's inexpensive for the position and would give him and AJ the next 3 years together in the offense and another true #1 WR in the absence of AJ.
When I think of this, I think of when the Falcons teamed Roddy White and Julio Jones together.

Again, not saying this is the way they will or even should go, but if they are taking the BPA, I think Williams would represent that at #9 should he be there.
DE ??  LB ??  Sure, give me either of those two and I will be happy.
I also wouldn't surprise me in seeing them go this way due to what I think is a relatively weak class for both positions after the 1st round.
WR on the other hand could be had in the 2nd and 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

I don't know how they can go receiver in the first round with a straight face.  Sign Lafell, and Combine him with Boyd and Green, seems like one of the least necessary positions on the team.

Plus, if we want Alexander to continue to field O-lines that, by most statistical analysis', are capable of being in the top 31 in the league, if not in the to 30!, then we need to continue to feed him a steady diet of first and second round talent.  

It all depends on the grade but I think any offensive player is an easy sell in the first two rounds.    You are simply trying to get the most out of Dalton/Green in the next few years.

Right now there are few top 10 o-line talents.   Doesn't mean that can't change but any franchise graded offensive player (in my mind) is an easy sell. 

I would be MORE than happy to consider the o-line at #9, but who's there ??
The dude from Alabama ??  Most think his best fit is at RT and I think Fisher may be able to handle that.
Should the team get out of it's own way and let him take snaps there from day #1 of OTA's, they may be good.
There is no way OG or Center are a thought until later and even then, I don't expect them to move from Bodine.
Zeitler may not be back, but I would bet a good amount the simply move Westerman into that role and draft more depth later.

Again, I think the DE and MLB classes in this draft are weak after the 1st round.
A bunch of guys at DE that are better suited in a 3-4 and a HUGE drop off in talent at MLB after the first two.
That would be my reasoning for not drafting a WR at #9, but again, I wouldn't complain.

I guess Robinson had some off the field problems.   1 lineman that won't be under the radar much longer is the Center from Kentucky.   He would be a great add.   He was a convert from tackle to Center so he stands 6'8.   Gets to the second level nicely very versatile lineman.     

I think a problem with him is that he eventually will raise his stock to a range the Bengals won't have a pick. 

I believe improving the O-line will automatically improve the running game and thus open up the passing game. If the current line can be upgraded through coaching (cough), improved health (cough cough), and more knowledge/experience of the playbook then there's no great desperation to send Hill packing or let Rex walk, and no need to grab a WR with the 1st draft pick. All this adds up to keep Zeitler and put a rocket up the arse of Oggliebooglie. All this is of course assuming the injuries to Gio, Eifert, AJ, Billings, and Jackson are not life threatening but who the hell can read the Bengals medical staff ??

CincyJungle has a very early 4 round mock draft for the Bengals:-

Rnd 1: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Rnd 2: Ju Ju Smith Schuster, WR, USC

Rnd 3: Raekwon McMillan, LB, Ohio State

Rnd 4: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn

I saw that mock as well.

I wouldn't mind Barnett, but don't think he fits the "tall" frame the Bengals typically look for.
I don't like any WR that can't get separation at the college level because they will only struggle more at the next.  No to Schuster.
McMillan is thought to be the 2nd best MLB in the class across many sites.  Can't see him lasting that long.  Maybe in the 2nd ??
A DT would depend on how things go with who they currently have on the roster.  Is Thompson healthy ??  Do they bring him back ??
If they don't bring back Dre, I see CB somewhere within the first 4 rounds.

A 6'8 Center could be viewed as a real problem for 6'2 Dalton.
The back of his head would be the cause of batted balls.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, TJJackson said:

Gimme better blocking (ie, what we thought we picked up in more than sufficient qualtity in the 2015 draft) rather than a better RB. Greatest RB of all time, Barry Sanders, also holds the record for the most negative yard because of .....poor blocking

Gimme the blocking first, then the RB

Perfectly said.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:38 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Still my fist pick for the players I expect to be there.  Agree.

Sadly, he appears to have helium among the draft chattering class. Seeing him projected top 5 now a number of places...

Bengals have to change scheme or approach if they use a top 50 pick on LB.    

I'm guessing Dansby and Rey M. roles will be open.     Vigil will consume more of those roles.  Vincent will be the same.   Burfict probably does more assuming he can stay healthy or avoid suspension.

Dawson, Flowers will be battling for the last spot. 

Taking a LB that high better be another Burfict and they better actually blitz instead of faking A-Gap pressure 80% of the time, iMO.

I think they'll add LBs but it will be guys they run on and off the field all the time doing the dirty work.  

I'd rather make a play for a younger Free Agent than Harrison, Hawk, Dansby and use more cap dollars and save the premium draft pick. 

IMO, Jarvis Jones fits this scheme nicely. 

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Bengals have to change scheme or approach if they use a top 50 pick on LB.    

I'm guessing Dansby and Rey M. roles will be open.     Vigil will consume more of those roles.  Vincent will be the same.   Burfict probably does more assuming he can stay healthy or avoid suspension.

Dawson, Flowers will be battling for the last spot. 

Taking a LB that high better be another Burfict and they better actually blitz instead of faking A-Gap pressure 80% of the time, iMO.

I think they'll add LBs but it will be guys they run on and off the field all the time doing the dirty work.  

I'd rather make a play for a younger Free Agent than Harrison, Hawk, Dansby and use more cap dollars and save the premium draft pick. 

IMO, Jarvis Jones fits this scheme nicely. 

I'm coming to terms with this. I don't see a LB being taken that high. I, too, would prefer a FA LB coming in to bolster that group. No time to wait on a guy who might not see the field for a year or two. This team needs impact at the key positions. Best to go FA. 

However, they should restock with a couple guys in the draft, just not r1.

• 2 weeks later...

If the line of thought is taking the best player available, I can't say as I would be pleased passing on this analysis at a position of GREAT need for us:

At a rock solid 6-1, 240 pounds with broad shoulders, a trim middle and well-built limbs, Foster offers prototypical size for an inside linebacker role. His greatest attribute, however, is his pure explosiveness. Whether it be his outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed or the impact he generates with his collisions, Foster is a heat-seeking missile hell-bent on destruction.

Just as aggressive as he is athletic, Foster attacks would-be blockers in the running game, jolting opponents with a powerful punch that can leave them staggering. When blockers are successful in latching onto him, Foster shows impressive leg drive and balance to anchor, creating a pile runners have to avoid and easy tackle opportunities for teammates.

Foster is a true lights-out hitter, generating bone-rattling hits due to his acceleration and compact frame. He launches himself into ball carriers, typically wrapping his arms securely, as well, for the flashy but efficient take-down.

Foster shows acute diagnosis skills. He takes sharp angles to the ball, often beating blockers to the action and surprising ball carriers with his closing speed. Foster keeps his eyes locked onto the quarterback when in coverage, breaking quickly as the pass is released, often initiating contact with the intended receiver just as the ball arrives.

While understanding there are many opinions about players, Foster is easily a top 10 talent.
Not being funny or poking at all, but is there anyone in our LB corps not named Burfict that fits the above description ??
Not being funny again because I didn't look, but is there a free agent LB that fits the above description ??
Knowing you could draft a player of that caliber and have him under control for 5 years would have to be a consideration at #9 I would think.

While looking at the other MLB prospects, there's not another one that even compares talent wise.
MLB doesn't "have" to be the call at #9, but I think it remains a debatable thought process. 

On 09/01/2017 at 6:40 PM, ArmyBengal said:

I simply think this team needs quality over quantity at this point.  11 picks actually joining the team won't have much impact outside of the practice squad.

Bundle up those 11 picks in trades for 5 or 6 picks who will make some positive contribution this season - absolutely agree with quality over quantity