Eifert

jonf45uk

His return can't come quick enough!!!!

Good win last night but we look so bereft of ideas in the red zone, and him just being on the field should make a huge difference to how defences line up against us.......

Really hope he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, he adds another dimension that we seem to be missing at the moment 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

How bad ass is AJ when the defense knows he's the only threat and he still tears them up ??

It helps when the HC of the other team benches an actual corner and has a converted WR cover Green half the time. But yeah, he was in unstoppable mode last night.

5 hours ago, volcom69 said:

We can only hope! Happy for the win last night, but call me concerned about this team. When it's a struggle to gain just 2 yards with a run, your o-line has some issues. The red zone is terrible, need to score TDs at some point. 

They can NOT run to the right. Ogbuehi makes Smith look like an All Pro in the run game. 

If you are this predictable, you will struggle. Part of it is Ogbuehi and part is Bodine. Both show weaknesses that limit the flexibility when getting plays structured and executed. Why no screens to Gio in the red zone? Bodine has shown us something in space. 

I chalk up the red zone woes to bad playcalls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

With the noted concerns of Ogboogie, why not get Fisher out there ??

Remember that third down and short last night when Dalton had a defender on him immediately and he just had to eat it?  You may recall Whit kind of asked him, as they were jogging off the field, what had happened.  That was Fisher.  He got beat like a drum, not sure he even touched the speed rusher as he went by.

While I agree with all the criticisms of the o-line, might I also suggest we may have to admit that Jeremy Hill is...just a guy. In general he doesn't break tackles, he doesn't run over people, he isn't especially quick, fast or powerful, and he isn't particularly instinctive. He's not bad, but he's just another BJGE/Rudi type. Which of course is why he can't do much unless he's got an offensive line opening big holes or a lead fullback plowing a path. And even then any defender that brushes a hand on an ankle will probably bring him down. I know we are quickly piling up draft needs for next year but we might have to add RB to the list.

I know it's not fashionable to stick up for the Center, BUT I would guess he's moved up to 3rd or at least in a tie with Z.  That would be a combination of Z regressing and Bodine slightly raising his game.   Of course I have a tendency to focus and watch the bad plays and glance over the positive so those rankings might not be reflective of the good.  

I'll double down on sticking up for whipping boys but these TEs don't block in the run game or pass pro as effectively as Greshman,  GASP! 

I've been watching the TV broadcast in slow mo from Game pass and it seems more problems with edge players not getting block in the run game.   Keep in mind the endzone view can tell a completely different story.

IMO, Hill is running hard.  He has more wiggle than a Rudi or BJGE.   There are a couple times he needs to keep his feet when a defender blitzes or fills out of assignment and break the tackle.

Ced is a mixed bag, IMO.   He has been a definite downgrade through 4 games from Dre.   Not ALL bad though.    Fischer has his own warts, IMO.   I'll give an example below.   It always seems Fisher, Ced, Uzomah, Kroft and Z take turns in getting stuff blown up most times when things aren't going right.

Here's a prime example from the All-22 for Fisher.   

1st Denver Sack.  Coming off a fumble recovery.   Bengals gamble and Denver gambles.  Denver ultimately wins.

Bengals run a hard play action fake.   Meaning the line doesn't take deep drops, Dalton gives action taking his eyes off the defense, they pull Boling.    Denver just happened to blitz Ray and Ware off the offensive left which was perfect because the play action was going right.   Fischer and Kroft were lined up as H-backs/TEs.     Fischer gets beat waaaaay to quickly and Kroft not sure what he was doing but doesn't slow Ware at all.     Play action worked.   IF Fisher could just done a poor job instead of a piss poor job it's a huge play as LaFell was open.   Probably big enough gain to set up points.

Against Pitt.  The lined up Fischer as front side TE.  They run the triple option and all he has to do is get a piece of Shazier and it's a big gain.

Ced vs. Denver did alright for a while.   Then he got caught holding and then gave up pressures late when they were expecting pass late. 

Those are young guys cutting their teeth against top competition.  But those are critical plays that could have helped sway the games.

About the OLine-

Theres got to be some assignment mix ups or miscommunication.  The CB Jones for the fins came unblocked twice last night dead for rights into Dalton.

Gresham and Fat Andre are now proving they were good blockers in our scheme.  It's clear our new TEs and Ced just aren't there yet.

I thought Bodine did ok matching up with their D last night.  

Typically in the line call they will identify the "6th" rusher.   If that rusher comes it's the responsibility of QB and WR.

and it doesn't matter if they only rush 4. 

Impossible to know for sure but the 1 sack seems like it was a case of them getting fooled. 

It varies pending on if TE/RB are in the route. 

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

With the noted concerns of Ogboogie, why not get Fisher out there ??
He had MANY starts at RT when playing at Oregon.

I don't know, maybe that's NOT the way to go, but there simply has to be some improvement in the running game.

They ended-up benching Fisher because of his mistakes/poor play.  Alexander continues to have trouble developing day one picks.  These guys shouldn't be struggling at this point like they are - granted Fisher hasn't been given a natural position yet and continues to be jerked-around due to Alexander's poor personnel management and development abilities.

As much as I like a good Alexander roast, I'm not sure he's the sole issue re Fisher getting jerked around. IIRC, the idea was for Ced to be the LEFT Tackle Of The Future, while Fisher slid in to replace Moobs. But then of course Whitworth had a hissy (remember the "my wife got my phone" tweet) after they took them both, and (again of course) the front office reversed itself and extended him. Only for a year but he keeps making noises about retiring a Bengal, etc. in short, the Bengals' brain trust managed to get off the pot AND crap at the same time, and this mess is the result. Now we have 3 starting OTs, 2 spots for them and as is SOP here, the two making the most $ play whether they are good or not. 

I have some "sources" (yes, I'm one of those guys) that tell me Whit is a little bitch and isn't very well liked as far as his personality goes.

While, Fisher and Bodine are 2 of the most solid and well respected teammates in the locker room.  It's too bad Bodine doesn't have the potential to put it together on the field like Fisher does.

Agree with Hoosier.

What I recall is that Ogboogie is the LT of the future with Fisher as the RT.
Fisher has had many starts at the RT position while at Oregon before moving to LT.

I could be wrong, but it just looks disjointed out there.  It's odd to watch the line look so out of sync.

I think Hill is a better back than Rudi or BJGE were simply because he is a lot more consistent about breaking big runs.  He still probably is more line-reliant than some other backs out there, but I don't think he's a major part of the problem.  I don't know how many times he's looked like he was a step away from getting loose for a big gain until a poorly blocked defender ruins it at the last second.

One annoying thing is that the Bernard/Hill combination seems like it is continuing to be an "either/or" dynamic instead of a "both" dynamic.  They never seem to be productive simultaneously.