Bengals @ Jets Game Thread

HoosierCat

Finally! Football is back! Another four months to build up our hopes, only to see our dreams crushed in January, probably by Pittsburgh.

Hey, my mom always said expect the worst, that way you can only be pleasantly surprised!

Anyhow, on to New York, where the Bengals d-line could get a chance to devour an inexperienced RT.

The Jets on Saturday placed right tackle Breno Giacomini, who is dealing with a lingering lower back strain, on the regular season PUP list. 

So he will have to miss at least the season's first six games. Giacomini began training camp on the PUP list. His placement on the regular season PUP list came as no surprise, since he didn't appear close to returning. 

Giacomini has been injured since mid-June. It is not clear when he'll be able to practice again, let alone play.

So who will play right tackle for the Jets in Week 1 against the Bengals? The Jets' opener is just a week from Sunday, remember. 

Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale — both very inexperienced — have been competing for the job. But the Jets could always make a waiver claim Sunday and acquire a right tackle. Teams can begin making waiver claims at noon Sunday.

How quickly would a waiver-claimed right tackle be ready to start for the Jets, though? 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Friday that Ijalana and Qvale are even in their competition. Bowles said the players will alternate practice reps next week, and that a decision on who starts probably will "go right up until game day."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_breno_giacomini_pup_list.html

8 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It would be an interesting move but I don't know where u put him unless they either bite the bullet and put Eifert on PUP or cut Uzomah.

Eifert might be out 4-5 weeks, who knows, and Kroft is also banged up. So unless they roll with Hewitt as a TE with CJ, then putting Eifert on PUP isn't a bad option.

JetNation is one of the places I hang out at. They fear A.J. Green. Giovanni Bernard is their other concern. On gdefense Atkins has them sweating bullets and they're relieved Eifert is out.

They believe Revis can totally negate Green, and their linebackers can contain our running backs.

I beg to differ.

55 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

JetNation is one of the places I hang out at. They fear A.J. Green. Giovanni Bernard is their other concern. On gdefense Atkins has them sweating bullets and they're relieved Eifert is out.

They believe Revis can totally negate Green, and their linebackers can contain our running backs.

I beg to differ.

If Gio, Hill, and even Burkhead are catching out of the backfield like we saw in preseason, I doubt anyone's LBers can keep up 

My main impression of the Jets is their defensive interior is terrifying.  I can't remember their names, and I'm in the drive thru line at Panda Express right now so research not happening, but last year those guys just tore shit up.  And it was all pretty much right up the middle.  Bodine is going to get tested.

2 hours ago, COB said:

My main impression of the Jets is tatensive interior is terr ifying.  I can't remember their names, and I'm in the drive thru line at Panda Express right now so research not happening, but last year those guys just tore shit up.  And it was all pretty much right up the middle.  Bodine is going to get tested.

The Jets lost to Buffalo. Twice. The second time with the playoffs at stake. The Bengals had no such issue againstthe Bills. We've got this game.

I think the Jets are missing 1 of their studs from the D-line due to suspension.      Obviously the  AJ vs. Revis and then young WRs without Eifert puts the emphasis on running the ball vs. the Jets front 7.

From what I can recall Revis had his way against Green the last time they met up in New England.   So clearly the Jets could try to roll coverage to the other CB spot were most Jet fans say they are weak or bring safeties down to focus on Hill/Gio.   Chatter from Jets fans indicates Revis isn't Revis Island anymore going against elite WR, so I don't know. 

Dansby vs. Forte another key match up. 

Hello Bengals fans, jet fan here crossing the border to talk some football with our week 1 matchup 5 days away. I wanted to give a little insight to who the jets are this season and how they match up with the bengals. 

Starting with the offense the jets have one of the worst right sides of an offensive line that I have seen in a long time. Winter (rg) and Ijiana or Qvale (Rts) will be lining up come  Sunday to protect fitz right side and try to generate some push for the run game. I expect to see you guys overload that side of the field and ruin any chance of a running game being set up.

On the left the jets have a pretty solid line with Mangold anchoring the middle and Carpenter (lg) and Clady (lt) manning the other side. Unspectacular but solid. With how Chan Gailey gameplans his offense with spreading out defenses and getting the ball out quickly I do not see you guys getting much pressure on the left side, mainly just crushing it on the right. Overall when comparing your defensive line with our o-line I give you guys a clear advantage in this department.

Our Wr's our are second biggest strength of the team. Everyone knows Marshall aka the machine, Decker seems to be overlooked but is a great #2 wr hauling in a 1k season and 12 tds, he is no one to sleep on. After those two its gets a little thin with a bunch of rookies and unproven players such as Enunwa and udfa Robinson who has been a preseason star so far. We do not have any TE's worth mentioning so there is no worry there for you guys. Fitz is the biggest crutch to our 1-2 punch at wr but was decent enough feeding the ball to them that I expect to see them get production in this game. With Forte flexing out and Powell (rb) I expect to see the jets spread your defense out and use our big bodies possession receivers to gain quick 5-10 yard receptions and move the chains. I give the jets a slight advantage with our wr corps over your secondary, but it probably is a wash when you add in your defensive line with our o-line, so even.

On defense we are stacked. Wilkerson, Sheldon ( susp 1 game) Williams and McLendon make up an insanely talented front 4 who all excel at stuffing the run and providing pressure. We are weak at olb, with second year player Mauldin stepping in to provide the outside pressure and 3rd round rookie Jenkins from Georgia manning the strong side. Jenkins already looks the part in setting the edge and stuffing the run, its just a matter of getting to the qb that will be seen. With David Harris and Henderson manning the MLB and ILB I do not see you guys having a great  running game established even though I think Hill and Geo are one of the better rb duo's in the nfl. I do not have any research on your o-line but the jets have too much talent up front to not cause consistent problems for them. I give the jets an advantage on stopping your run and providing pressure on your o-line.

If Dalton was a jet we would be putting him in Canton over in jetland. The kid just keeps getting better and better and with a superstar in AJ Green its a nightmare opponent no one wants to play. Revis is still pretty solid but will draw help from our fs Gilcrist over the top. I would be shocked if they leave him on an island with Green as Dalton should take that matchup any time they show it. After Revis our second best db is SS Pryor. Kid is a star in the making and hits like a mack truck, anyone going over the middle of the field is going to get crushed. After Revis and Pryor the rest of the secondary is pretty mediocre with Skrine filling in at the slot and Williams a third year player filling in at #2. I expect to see you guys trying to feed the ball to Lafell and Boyd as much as possible. Overall Dalton is a much better qb than Fitz and will make the big plays when it is needed, I give the bengals an advantage on offense over the jets d.

Finally we have specials. Nick Folk returns and is a reliable kicker, pretty much money from 45 yards and closer. Our new punter Edwards has been consistently booming 55 yard punts this preseason and our coverage team is much improved over last year, which was one of the worst special teams I have ever seen. With the reliability of our kicker over yours I would give the jets a slight advantage in specials but its hard to predict with it being game  1 of the season, weird wacky plays happen every year week 1.

If this game was in Cinci I would give you guys the  win easily, but with it being the home opener I expect it to be close. A big special teams play will be the deciding factor in who walks out with a win in week 1. My prediction is 24-17 with whoever gets the big special play.

Looking forward to a great game and no injuries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jdeacon88 said:

Hello Bengals fans, jet fan here crossing the border to talk some football with our week 1 matchup 5 days away. I wanted to give a little insight to who the jets are this season and how they match up with the bengals. 

Starting with the offense the jets have one of the worst right sides of an offensive line that I have seen in a long time. Winter (rg) and Ijiana or Qvale (Rts) will be lining up come  Sunday to protect fitz right side and try to generate some push for the run game. I expect to see you guys overload that side of the field and ruin any chance of a running game being set up.

On the left the jets have a pretty solid line with Mangold anchoring the middle and Carpenter (lg) and Clady (lt) manning the other side. Unspectacular but solid. With how Chan Gailey gameplans his offense with spreading out defenses and getting the ball out quickly I do not see you guys getting much pressure on the left side, mainly just crushing it on the right. Overall when comparing your defensive line with our o-line I give you guys a clear advantage in this department.

Our Wr's our are second biggest strength of the team. Everyone knows Marshall aka the machine, Decker seems to be overlooked but is a great #2 wr hauling in a 1k season and 12 tds, he is no one to sleep on. After those two its gets a little thin with a bunch of rookies and unproven players such as Enunwa and udfa Robinson who has been a preseason star so far. We do not have any TE's worth mentioning so there is no worry there for you guys. Fitz is the biggest crutch to our 1-2 punch at wr but was decent enough feeding the ball to them that I expect to see them get production in this game. With Forte flexing out and Powell (rb) I expect to see the jets spread your defense out and use our big bodies possession receivers to gain quick 5-10 yard receptions and move the chains. I give the jets a slight advantage with our wr corps over your secondary, but it probably is a wash when you add in your defensive line with our o-line, so even.

On defense we are stacked. Wilkerson, Sheldon ( susp 1 game) Williams and McLendon make up an insanely talented front 4 who all excel at stuffing the run and providing pressure. We are weak at olb, with second year player Mauldin stepping in to provide the outside pressure and 3rd round rookie Jenkins from Georgia manning the strong side. Jenkins already looks the part in setting the edge and stuffing the run, its just a matter of getting to the qb that will be seen. With David Harris and Henderson manning the MLB and ILB I do not see you guys having a great  running game established even though I think Hill and Geo are one of the better rb duo's in the nfl. I do not have any research on your o-line but the jets have too much talent up front to not cause consistent problems for them. I give the jets an advantage on stopping your run and providing pressure on your o-line.

If Dalton was a jet we would be putting him in Canton over in jetland. The kid just keeps getting better and better and with a superstar in AJ Green its a nightmare opponent no one wants to play. Revis is still pretty solid but will draw help from our fs Gilcrist over the top. I would be shocked if they leave him on an island with Green as Dalton should take that matchup any time they show it. After Revis our second best db is SS Pryor. Kid is a star in the making and hits like a mack truck, anyone going over the middle of the field is going to get crushed. After Revis and Pryor the rest of the secondary is pretty mediocre with Skrine filling in at the slot and Williams a third year player filling in at #2. I expect to see you guys trying to feed the ball to Lafell and Boyd as much as possible. Overall Dalton is a much better qb than Fitz and will make the big plays when it is needed, I give the bengals an advantage on offense over the jets d.

Finally we have specials. Nick Folk returns and is a reliable kicker, pretty much money from 45 yards and closer. Our new punter Edwards has been consistently booming 55 yard punts this preseason and our coverage team is much improved over last year, which was one of the worst special teams I have ever seen. With the reliability of our kicker over yours I would give the jets a slight advantage in specials but its hard to predict with it being game  1 of the season, weird wacky plays happen every year week 1.

If this game was in Cinci I would give you guys the  win easily, but with it being the home opener I expect it to be close. A big special teams play will be the deciding factor in who walks out with a win in week 1. My prediction is 24-17 with whoever gets the big special play.

Nice post there jdeacon88. You WR's may be your biggest strength, but I feel you biggest weakness is the guy responsible to get the ball to them. We know Fitz. He used to play in Cincy remember?

Just now, BengalszoneBilly said:

Nice post there jdeacon88. You WR's may be your biggest strength, but I feel you biggest weakness is the guy responsible to get the ball to them. We know Fitz. He used to play in Cincy remember?

Absolutely, the real question is where has fitz not played at? 

Kidding aside, Fitz has shown he has good chemistry with Marshall and Decker, but he definitely is the weak link in the offense. If the o-line is a sieve the jets are screwed and its a blowout because Fitz is not the type of qb that can carry a team. The jets should know this and that is why I expect them to spread the defense out and give fitz just quick dump off passes to Forte and Decker. Hopefully we can take advantage of some of that age you guys have at mlb and have forte or enunwa line up against them and just feed it to them underneath. Time will tell if fitz reverts to total crap or remains a mediocre qb.

• Like 1

Now I'm hearing rumor A.J. Green won't play if his wife goes into labor Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/26/a-j-green-wont-play-if-his-baby-is-born-on-game-day/

I say get her doing some jumping jacks Saturday evening and goose that kid out early!

Nice to see a Jets fan come and simply talk the game.
I initially chalked this game up as a loss for the Bengals, especially considering the Jets front 7 and us being without Eifert.
Add to that, it's the season opener in New York ON 9/11.  Understanding that's not part of the game itself, it certainly adds to motivation.

That being said, I do think the Bengals are in a better situation at WR than most thought at the start of OTA's and that may help with Eifert's absence.
I think the right side of the Jets o-line is a difference maker in the game along with the Sheldon suspension.

I believe it's going to be a close game as well.  Can't wait for the season to kick off already !!!

1 hour ago, jdeacon88 said:

Very good breakdown, but I think our D is to good.  Even in NY on opening weekend. 

Our punter Huber is among the best at limiting returns and The "Nug" is still an above average kicker.  Along with our new secret weapon Alex Erickson (UDFA) as a returner, I think we take ST's.

My guess is 24-10 Bengals, with a bunch of pressures and sacks on Fitz.

After Week 1, hopefully your Jets can put together a Patriot busting season!

Similar to last year,   the doubts I have for this game have nothing to do with the current Bengals.   

Last season,  they never won in Oakland.   New York Jets in New York,  I believe a Bengal victory hasn't come about since they used to play in Shea Stadium. 

Then there's things like the 2013 road opening loss vs. a blah Chicago Bears loss.

Hasn't been mentioned yet but the Steelers loom next week and I have definitely been keeping more of an eye on them in the preseason.   I hope the team has done the opposite.

If the Bengals play their game, they win.  Jets have enough to win if the Bengals show up with a B+ effort.    I don't expect a laugher like we got out of a supposed up and coming confident Oakland Raiders team. 

6 hours ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Now I'm hearing rumor A.J. Green won't play if his wife goes into labor Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/26/a-j-green-wont-play-if-his-baby-is-born-on-game-day/

I say get her doing some jumping jacks Saturday evening and goose that kid out early!

Grab a rope and a tow truck and lets haul the thing right out !!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:43 AM, GapControl said:

If Gio, Hill, and even Burkhead are catching out of the backfield like we saw in preseason, I doubt anyone's LBers can keep up 

Even with good LB coverage.   One thing that is completely overlooked is Dalton was deadly last year pre snap.   He was good a knowing where and when a back would be open.

That's hard as hell for LBs to cover considering free releases that RBs get most of the time.