2016 Season Predictions

gregcook68

Way too late for big changes now. They are what they are.

But even setting their own worst enemy (themselves) aside, they are in a deep hole. The Pats are going to win the East, easily. The Texans are 1.5 games up in the South and the Titans are ahead of Cincy in the WC race. One of Denver, Oakland and the Chiefs will win the West and the other two could both be wild cards. Five of those six teams have 5+ wins already.

Basically the only path I see would involve a complete Steelers collapse combined with the Bengals sweeping the rest of their division games (and probably needing another W somewhere else, too). But even with Toothlessburger laid up, Pitt has a slate of gimmes: 2x Baltimore, 2x Cleveland and Indy. Even if those are the only 5 remaining games they win that get them to 9, which is likely a game or two too far for the Bengals.

tl;dr Bengals have no realistic path to the playoffs.

I think the Bengals have a better shot in the division race than in the wild card, simply because there's such a scrum of contenders in the mediocre middle.  I think it's silly to call them dead ducks though when they're only a game behind the division leader with a home game remaining against that team.

The 2012 team started 3-5 and finished 7-1.  There's a precedent.

While it's possible, this team has some major holes.  Namely the offensive line and pretty much the entire defense.

In 2012 that team had Zimmer and a team stepping into it's potential.  

This team in 2016 has a shoddy defense, a clueless OC, a porous offensive line, and a roster that has no surprises left in the tank.  They are what they are.

Who is going to step in and surprise by coming into their own?  Boyd?  Vigil?  While getting Eifert back helps, the offense has to play mistake free ball because, again, the defense is a shell of what it used to be.

1 hour ago, cincyhokie said:

While it's possible, this tBearsme major holes.  Namely the  offensive line and pretty much the entire defense.

In 2012 that team had Zimmer and a team stepping into it's potential.  

This team in 2016 has a shoddy defense, a clueless OC, a porous offensive line, and a roster that has no surprises left in the tank.  They are what they are.

Who is going to step in and surprise by coming into their own?  Boyd?  Vigil?  While getting Eifert back helps, the offense has to play mistake free ball because, again, the defense is a shell of what it used to be.

Speaking of Zimmer, his Vikings just got trashed by the stinking Bears. Who know who is going to show up for the playoffs.

The Bengals being close to the division leaders is hardly due to their stellar play that had made that a possibility.
If that were the case, I'd still be halfway into their chances in the 2nd half of the season.
I saw next to nothing in the first half that would lead me to believe they will be in that race if things continue down this path.

While I love what Dalton has been able to do and AJ is still a beast.  The o-line ruins it for them and the offense.
Eifert being back will help.

The defense really needs some serious talent at the LB spot.  After that, there are other holes.

I think the defense's most disappointing play has come from the defensive line, and I also think that's still the most talented starting unit they have on defense.  So there's some room for improvement which isn't just a pipe dream.

We'll see what happens after the bye.  If the ugly triad of Marvin failures (post-bye week game, road prime time game, game against team with winning record) coalesces into a predictable loss in New York, then I'll be ready to pack it in.

On the subject of the defense, this from Morrison at the DDN was (to me at least) an unintentionally depressing read:

Frustrated by the increase in missed tackles, penalties, points allowed and a general lack of production by some of his veterans, Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said there may be some changes after the bye.

“We have a lot of guys that have been here a long time, that have been fixtures in our system for a long time, but like I told them, it’s a production business,” Guenther said Tuesday while meeting with reporters for the first time since Sunday’s 27-27 tie against Washington.

“Even though you’ve been kind of a guy that’s been here, if I think there’s going to be a younger player that I think can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 more snaps, I’ve got to look at that because some of the guys that have been here, that have been fixtures here, for some reason or another, whether it’s age or whatever it is, they are not playing at a high level,” Guenther said. “And I’ve got to figure out where I can inject some other guys that can do it better or at least try to.”

Guenther didn’t single out any underachievers, but he said rookie linebacker Nick Vigil, defensive end Will Clarke and cornerback Darqueze Dennard are guys he wants to see more of after the bye.

While I 100% agree with Guenther that changes need to be made,and I applaud him for making them, the players he's talking about giving more time to only emphasize how bare the cupboard is. Will Clarke? Well,OK, but he has actually been getting more and more snaps over Hunt already and while he's been marginally more effective, that's sort of like trading up from a base Ford Focus to a Focus SE. Dennard hasn't impressed much when he has been on the field, but I guess we can hope the proverbial light comes on and he finally starts to live up to his draft position. Vigil is probably the most interesting name of the three, but when you are hoping your third-round rook can jump in and be a difference-maker 8 games into his career...well, again: cupboard: bare.

That said best of luck to them,I hope they all make the pro bowl (and then decline to attend!)

OK, Norv Turner just quit.  Probably couldn't handle Zimmer screaming at him.  

My Plan: Hire Norv as "Offensive Consultant", let him breathe down Zampese's neck for a couple games until he(Norv) totally gets and understands our offense.  Then forcibly switch roles.  Zampese consults, hell he can come to work in his pjs for all I care.  Norv takes over and our offense improves.  He sucks as a head coach but he knows offense, play calling, strategy, etc. 

I'm all for the younger guys getting their shot, but I think we are really only talking about Vigil in that equation for the defense.
No WJ3, no Billings, no one else apparently equating to being able to beat out the starter at whatever the position.
Vigil would come in for Dansby I'm assuming and that would be greatly welcomed by myself.
Dansby, while leading the team in tackles, has been everything but inspiring.  He's not what he use to be.

If Vigil is what the coaches thought he was, resulting in him being taken in the 3rd round, make the switch.
Take a chance at providing a spark to a defense that is in terrible need of one.
If Vigil is able to produce at the level they feel he's capable, move toward that now.

I'd rather know what we have in him over the last half of the season, then hoping they can figure that out in the 2017 OTA's.

If I could make one change on defense, I'd like to see them find a way to get DeShawn Williams active on gameday without deactivating another defensive lineman. Then use the full four-man rotation to reduce Geno's snaps. Yes -- reduce. To date Geno's played 73% of defensive snaps, more than any other DT on the team. Peko is at 68%, Sims 38% and Williams 0%. Give the guy a bit more of a blow during the game and he just might be more effective.

23 hours ago, COB said:

OK, Norv Turner just quit.  Probably couldn't handle Zimmer screaming at him.  

My Plan: Hire Norv as "Offensive Consultant", let him breathe down Zampese's neck for a couple games until he(Norv) totally gets and understands our offense.  Then forcibly switch roles.  Zampese consults, hell he can come to work in his pjs for all I care.  Norv takes over and our offense improves.  He sucks as a head coach but he knows offense, play calling, strategy, etc. 

Interesting. I'd probably pass on Turner but the idea to give Zampese a mentor/resource isn't a bad idea. With the roster I see, the offense isn't the biggest issue here, it's the defense. Just too many breakdowns.

Facing easier defenses the offense yardage production has now reached top 6 status and most impressively about that is the Rushing yardage is a contributing factor ranking 6th.   They still lag behind in scoring and red zone trips. 

It will be interesting to see how they perform during the next 4 games.

I anticipate the offense improving with Eifert being back in the starting role.
That being said, it won't be due to anything the O-line can make adjustments with.

Maybe they still have that video of the FB Connor they could show to someone they think could be a good FB.
Honestly, I would have zero problem seeing them bring in a true FB to further the running game and provide additional blocking for Dalton.

• 1 month later...

The offense finished top half in yards despite a number of games missed by top contributors and bad pass pro.   I think that points to depth in the skill ranks.    The lack of points and known struggles in the second half and 4th quarters points to coaching, IMO.

Not sure they'll get a coaching change on the offensive staff but they got to up their game for the offense to improve.