Your 2016 Draft Class

HoosierCat

Pretty good outing. I'd say a solid B. Would have liked a WR in the first but things didn't fall their way and Jackson was fine consolation prize. Boyd and Core both have opportunities to grab a roster spot, it's wide open behind Green. Billings and Westerman were steals. Good draft.

B+, nice work Bengals, they continue to draft guys who can actually make the team and play in the NFL.  The days when Mike would meet a kid and later say, "I like the cut of his jib," then they'd take him whenever, based on whatever, are over.

• Like 1

None of the blue chip guys were there for the bengals in the first- the C from Alabama or one of the WRs.... Based on that uncontrollable outcome, I give it an A.

Why?

All big college producers with the physical measurements to be very good NFL players and some even great.  Only Vigil and Core are up for reconsideration.  I trust the Tobin-Lewis draft board so I'm confident enough to say this will be one of the top 5 drafts in the last 20 years for the Bengals. And I say that meaning playmaking and on-field production.  That's my balls-out prediction.

23 minutes ago, GapControl said:

None of the blue chip guys were there for the bengals in the first- the C from Alabama or one of the WRs.... Based on that uncontrollable outcome, I give it an A.

Why?

All big college producers with the physical measurements to be very good NFL players and some even great.  Only Vigil and Core are up for reconsideration.  I trust the Tobin-Lewis draft board so I'm confident enough to say this will be one of the top 5 drafts in the last 20 years for the Bengals. And I say that meaning playmaking and on-field production.  That's my balls-out prediction.

That's bold.

The LB pick is just really strange. According to the kid, they barely even talked to him, yet somehow know that he's a brain; they like his ability vs pass yet state that what you're having trouble finding is college LBers that can take on blockers, which I'm not sure this guy is.  

I'm guessing that Coyle said that his older brother would be quite a player if he had a 3 cone drill time like the kid brother does, and so we drafted him. Odd way to do business -- my little brother is way more athletic than me but if you talk to him a while then you'll find that he's also an airhead. But I do hope this works out because I hate most of our LBers.

in hindsight, if you're going to punt on 3rd rounder then it would have been better to trade up for a better WR in round 1.

Otherwise, seems fine. I doubt that the 2nd rounder becomes a star, but they just had to have someone ready to play on day 1 and he looks that part, at least, plus he can catch a poorly delivered ball so that's a match. The 6th rounder fits what they do very well: make some ST tackles now, learn the position.  4th and 5th rounders step right in, and the CB looks like a guy that might actually be able to cover AJ Green, so it's good that he's not a Steeler.

the UDFAs seem more underwhelming than usual

53 minutes ago, princeton said:

The LB pick is just really strange. According to the kid, they barely even talked to him, yet somehow know that he's a brain; they like his ability vs pass yet state that what you're having trouble finding is college LBers that can take on blockers, which I'm not sure this guy is.  

I'm guessing that Coyle said that his older brother would be quite a player if he had a 3 cone drill time like the kid brother does, and so we drafted him. Odd way to do business -- my little brother is way more athletic than me but if you talk to him a while then you'll find that he's also an airhead. But I do hope this works out because I hate most of our LBers.

in hindsight, if you're going to punt on 3rd rounder then it would have been better to trade up for a better WR in round 1.

Otherwise, seems fine. I doubt that the 2nd rounder becomes a star, but they just had to have someone ready to play on day 1 and he looks that part, at least, plus he can catch a poorly delivered ball so that's a match. The 6th rounder fits what they do very well: make some ST tackles now, learn the position.  4th and 5th rounders step right in, and the CB looks like a guy that might actually be able to cover AJ Green, so it's good that he's not a Steeler.

the UDFAs seem more underwhelming than usual

Haslett scouted the LB.   When it got around the league that Haslett was going to Utah State other teams started snooping around one of which was the Packers.   That was the story on the radio Sunday morning.

Utah State has a good academic reputation nationally.  

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:30 PM, HoosierCat said:

1. William Jackson III, CB, Houston

2. Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh

3. Nick Vigil, LB, Utah State

4. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

5. Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State

6. Cody Core, WR, Ole Miss

7. Clayton Fejedelem, DB, Illinois

I love this draft class and damn near every pick.

A fast, long CB to help the secondary.  Say what you will but Kirkpatrick hasn't solidified shit in my book and is a FA in '17 and Dennard is coming back from injury.
A WR that can come in and start in the slot day 1.  He doesn't need to be AJ, he needs to be a good option behind him, Eifert, LaFell, and Gio.  Not hard to do.
A LB that is said to have good instincts on the field and has played all spots.  There wasn't much I wanted between that pick and the 4th round pick.
A DT that had no business lasting until the 4th round in anyone's book.  Teams do in fact draft for need so that plus his lack of ideal height equals BONUS for us.
An OG that can provide depth for the o-line and was also considered a great value pick ??  Yes, please.
A WR with speed to provide depth on a team that currently lacks it is more than good and puts pressure on those I would like to see gone (TATE).
A SS that may not be the "be all, end all" of safeties, but he provides great teams capabilities and is solid in the 7th round.

I'm a firm believer that you can't truly grade a draft for at least 2-3 years down the road.
That being said, I'll go out on a limb and give this draft an "A".

We addressed needs with the BPA in almost every round and managed to be forward thinking in how we handle free agency for 2017.
This team will go through some serious changes with starters in the coming years and I think they set themselves up nicely.
I think the scouting staff and front office need more credit, especially when considering all the criticism they routinely took in the past. 

Oh yeah, considering the comp picks we will be looking at next year, adding more talent is going to continue around here.

I'm with the majority, I think. Sneaky good draft. They stuck to their draft boards, whilst filling positions of need with players that seem to fit the system. They all won't pan out, but then again chances are there's one who will far exceed expectations and go from relative unknown to household name.

I'm extra happy there don't seem to be any questionable characters who will be seen puking out a teammate's car window at a police roadblock in a few months.