Ravens @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I think people underestimate how important Hewitt is to the running game and not having him for the playoff game sucks balls.

It looks like we can scratch him for the rest of the way. No official announcement yet, but Fisher showed up at practice today wearing number 44; he's been switched to h-back.

Why is it that it seems when the Bengals get an injury that things just can't pan out?  Listening to sports talk the other night and it was preparatory excuse after excuse of why this team should struggle with McCarron at QB and Hewitt missing games?

Deja vu from last year.  Yet this is supposed to be a "deep" team.  The Texans had TJ Yates start and beat a decent Bengals team and defense in 2011.  Including the playoff game.

If this "talented" and "deep" team is playing at home against the Jets on WC weekend, there is no reason they shouldn't wipe the floor with them.   

And if they can't, then they should have been considered a smoke and mirrors team the whole 2015 season.

More than likely the Bengals play the Jets in the WC round.  At home.  They should win. 

Or is the flawed Andy Dalton that key to their success?  

No more excuses.  The team, coaching staff need to step up and take control.  If they, and we, keep waiting for the perfect storm to hand them a SB run, we'll all be waiting a long time.   And the soft mentality moniker given the Bengals since 2003 will continue.  

8 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Why is it that it seems when the Bengals get an injury that things just can't pan out?  Listening to sports talk the other night and it was preparatory excuse after excuse of why this team should struggle with McCarron at QB and Hewitt missing games?

Deja vu from last year.  Yet this is supposed to be a "deep" team.  The Texans had TJ Yates start and beat a decent Bengals team and defense in 2011.  Including the playoff game.

If this "talented" and "deep" team is playing at home against the Jets on WC weekend, there is no reason they shouldn't wipe the floor with them.   

And if they can't, then they should have been considered a smoke and mirrors team the whole 2015 season.

More than likely the Bengals play the Jets in the WC round.  At home.  They should win. 

Or is the flawed Andy Dalton that key to their success?  

No more excuses.  The team, coaching staff need to step up and take control.  If they, and we, keep waiting for the perfect storm to hand them a SB run, we'll all be waiting a long time.   And the soft mentality moniker given the Bengals since 2003 will continue.  

This mystery has been around since the beginning.  Even the 2 SB years.  Never being able to get over the hump has been their trademark.  People say, "Well at least they 'made' it to the SB twice!"  So what? Losing 1, 2, or 4 SBs get you nothing but a little more recognition as teams that were just one of the other 31 losers that year, with the possible exception of being defined as being a franchise known for losing SBs.  Just ask the Bills or Vikings.

I don't have an answer for this franchise. Coaches and players have come and gone so that leaves the only common denominator .... the Brown family.

19 hours ago, COB said:

Does this mean we lose our obligatory one or two tackle eligible plays per game?   

I imagine Whitworth will take on this role, wouldn't surprise me to see a pass thrown his way.  Hue wants that option on the table in the play-offs.

11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Why is it that it seems when the Bengals get an injury that things just can't pan out?

Oh for gawd's sake. Don't be obtuse. Losing your starting QB is hardly just any old injury, especially when he was playing at an MVP level.

6 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh for gawd's sake. Don't be obtuse. Losing your starting QB is hardly just any old injury, especially when he was playing at an MVP level.

What?  Is this the scene out of Shawshank Redemption?  I really respect and appreciate your insight and knowledge on here.  But I have to say.  Sometimes you come across like a condescending ass.  

My point is that playing the Jets at home with a QB that nearly beat the best defense in football on the road...is not a recipe for disaster.  Again, I'll point to other back up QBs winning in the post season.

A Super Bowl run?  Doubtful.  Complete and total destruction?  Doubtful as well.

44 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

What?  Is this the scene out of Shawshank Redemption?  I really respect and appreciate your insight and knowledge on here.  But I have to say.  Sometimes you come across like a condescending ass.  

I tire of repeating myself. I've spent this and last season pointing out Dalton's importance and the many cracks in the allegedly deep and talented roster around him. I no longer have the patience to go through it all again. If that makes me sound like a condecending ass, well, it won't be the first time.

48 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

My point is that playing the Jets at home with a QB that nearly beat the best defense in football on the road...is not a recipe for disaster.  Again, I'll point to other back up QBs winning in the post season.

You've pointed to one, Yates. Find another in the last ten seasons. Meanwhile to your one I'll throw three losers back at you: Joe Webb, Caleb Hanie and Ryan Lindley. Lindley may be the most instructive, since it was just two years ago on a team with a top 5 D and which was piling up points in games before Palmer got hurt. In the postseason Lindley managed 82 yards and 2 interceptions against a Panthers team that came into the playoffs with the 21st ranked D and a losing record in the regular season.

22 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I tire of repeating myself. I've spent this and last season pointing out Dalton's importance and the many cracks in the allegedly deep and talented roster around him. I no longer have the patience to go through it all again. If that makes me sound like a condecending ass, well, it won't be the first time.

You've pointed to one, Yates. Find another in the last ten seasons. Meanwhile to your one I'll throw three losers back at you: Joe Webb, Caleb Hanie and Ryan Lindley. Lindley may be the most instructive, since it was just two years ago on a team with a top 5 D and which was piling up points in games before Palmer got hurt. In the postseason Lindley managed 82 yards and 2 interceptions against a Panthers team that came into the playoffs with the 21st ranked D and a losing record in the regular season.

I'm sorry you have to repeat yourself.  We all should have seen the light you've shed down upon this message board a long time ago.  Lol.  

Fair enough on the examples of losing QBs you mentioned.  IMO, AJM is better than those QBs, hands down.  And this Bengals team has a much better roster than those teams you mentioned.  They were also road dogs.  Big difference to me.

Don't worry be happy.  Expect the worse, root and hope for the best.  Be glad of the winning seasons and the 5 year playoff run.  The fact that every time they take the field, they have a good 'chance' of winning.

I know, I know, this is a forum, and this is the venue to dissect and analyze things until the cows come home, and not a thing wrong with that, and I get that and I'm not criticizing that.  Just don't let it get so overwhelming that it becomes more important than it should.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

What about that 5000 miles song with those two stupid looking clowns with accents.

No disrespect to my Bengal brothers here with accents.
Then again, I've been told I have a southern accent gone horribly wrong so there's that.

The Proclaimers. I've got a couple of their CDs.

• Like 1