What Does Dalton Need to Do to Get Paid?

HoosierCat

12 members have voted

1. 1. What record qualifies Andy for big bucks?

• .500 or worse record, no playoffs
    • winning record, no playoffs
    • winning record, playoff loss (like the last 3 years)
    • 1 playoff win
    • 2-3 playoff wins
    • Super Bowl appearance
    • Super Bowl win
    • Pay him now
    • Move on ASAP

It's a Premium Position and he's gonna make money and I'm okay with what ever they pay him.I Just hope it's in 10-13million Dollar range so that way it leaves more money open for other players...10 out of 12 of those quarterbacks should not be making more money then Tom Brady as much as I dislike the Patriots gotta give him props for taking less to share the wealth with his teammates.

No one but you considers them all (or any of them, for that matter) "rises"

I haven't got a "rise" out of this message board since we loss Billy,Lack of Boobies these days.

That's just it, people thinking he's going to be making 10 million per year ANYWHERE are fooling themselves.

How much is AJ Green going to make on a new contract ?? Better than 10 million per year right ??

What about any above average CB in the league ?? Better than 10 million per year.

Dalton is going to get paid north of 14 per year by either the Bengals or someone else.

They can say all day that he can't get them past the first playoff game and teams won't take him. I call bullsh*t on that.

There are plenty of teams that would love to have a QB that can take their team to the playoffs and help turn a franchise around.

In the mean time, if they want to wait until they get the opportunity to draft his replacement, they can do that.

I know there are windows involved with the players on the team, but I just don't buy that teams won't want him as an argument either.

Many people didn't think sh*t of Kitna in regards to him as a long term solution, but he helped bring this franchise out of the 90's.

That was something, as a fan, I was happy as hell about and I didn't need him to take us to the Super Bowl.

That's just it, people thinking he's going to be making 10 million per year ANYWHERE are fooling themselves.

How much is AJ Green going to make on a new contract ?? Better than 10 million per year right ??

What about any above average CB in the league ?? Better than 10 million per year.

Dalton is going to get paid north of 14 per year by either the Bengals or someone else.

They can say all day that he can't get them past the first playoff game and teams won't take him. I call bullsh*t on that.

There are plenty of teams that would love to have a QB that can take their team to the playoffs and help turn a franchise around.

In the mean time, if they want to wait until they get the opportunity to draft his replacement, they can do that.

I know there are windows involved with the players on the team, but I just don't buy that teams won't want him as an argument either.

Many people didn't think sh*t of Kitna in regards to him as a long term solution, but he helped bring this franchise out of the 90's.

That was something, as a fan, I was happy as hell about and I didn't need him to take us to the Super Bowl.

Well said! Couldn't agree more! Wait.......maybe to support the board I should disagree? Nah! Plenty of others to do that! ;)

So I'm on the john reading Coley Harvey's latest blog entry and in the course of talking about McCarron he drops this bombshell:

The Bengals and Dalton's representatives have been working on a contract extension that could give the fourth-year quarterback a long-term deal that could help him earn a salary that would compete with the game's highest earners. He's hoping for an extension that could pay him nearly $20 million per year. The Bengals would like that number to be closer to $15 million. The two sides could soon find some common ground.

We've known that Dalton's camp is starting out high in negotiations, but this is the first report I have seen that puts a hard number on the Bengals' offer.

I think $15 million is a solid opening number. So good on the Bengals for not trying the traditional lowball BS. And the space between the two camps seems a lot less than some reports have sketched, which suggests to me the wrangling is probably less about overall money and more about guaranteed coin, which is something we've seen before.

no deal. no way.

sorry, I realize that's harsh but Dalton won't get those numbers here, or elsewhere for that matter.

If the Bengals feel compelled to pay him into that range, then may God have mercy on them, as their mental capacities are as limited as those kids riding that short, squat bus.

He's not a 20 mil qb

He's not Manning, Brady, Brees, or the Discount Doublecheck guy

I'd argue that he isnt a 15 mil QB as well given his streakiness, but I know some other teams would be happy to pay him that, so 15 Mil is right about the limit

I agree.

The idea that his agents are leveraging some "facts" about his first three year being so historic is just silly. Dalton in a vacuum is just an adequate QB. Put Dalton in Buffalo or Jax, or Oakland, or Tennessee and the true Dalton would be revealed. This is more about the team around him than the player he is.

There is a reason the consensus on Dalton, from paid talking heads, to very experienced and informed NFL-types, to my local youth football coaches, all view him as a decent player but nothing more than an average guy who does OK.

It will really be nuts if they get near the $20M/yr number and guarantee some $40-50M. FFS.

I was figuring around the 15 million mark myself and won't be comfortable with the 20 million range at all.

Then again, like I said, it's all in how it's structured.

They can squat on AJ for the year and then tag him the following year if they were to so desire, so they aren't obligated to rush that.

Here's something I wondered about moving into the coming years.

I think this roster is going to have to go through a real turnover coming soon.

You have deals needing or going to happen with AJ, Dalton, and Burfict and we keep adding players with all these picks.

Next year we will be looking at another probable 2 higher comp picks in the draft that won't be getting cut right off the bat.

Where does all of that lead ?? I'm thinking a 1st, 2nd, (2) 3rd's, (2) 4th's. That's a lot of higher end talent coming onto a team.

Who has to go and what do those contracts look like to account for that type of influx ??

Do they cut load on some aging vets ?? Package picks to make a move up to reduce the incoming players ?? What ??

Just food for thought...

Record-setting years? Attention Katie and Troy, the game has changed. The league has tilted towards the passing game, running backs can hardly get drafted any more. Records in the passing game are meaningless. It is a different game now.

The Bengals should push back against this, "Pay him, look at his stats which are great because he passes so much.", which is followed by, "He'll play better this year because you won't ask him to pass so much." Andy's agents are just doing their jobs, but somewhere in there the logic is faulty.

We should pay him 15 million a year just because someone else might? Wrongheaded. If 15 million is the number he could reach if he reaches a bunch of performance milestones, I'd think differently about it.

Yep, that or let him test the FA waters. I think he will find those waters very deep, very dark, and very cold.

Army mentions often that some folks seem to think a team can just go out and "get" a guy to come in and do what Dalton does. I think they could readily go get many players who can do what Dalton does, with this team (which is the key point. THIS team*). No, I'm not talking about Vince Young, or Brady Quinn.

Vick (now at the Jets) could perform in this system, under Hue. I think Mike Glennon could readily perform here. I think Josh Freeman could also do well here. All of those guys have superior toolsets than Dalton. It's fine to laugh but what we are really deciding is how "special" Dalton is.

It will really be nuts if they get near the $20M/yr number and guarantee some $40-50M. FFS.

Yeah, Bengaldom is going to be like this:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

Me, I'm stocking up on popcorn!

This is how I envision Cleveland Browns fans when hearing about a move their front office made.

The "Shove the remote up my ass" move was classic !!!

Guys, the market is what it is. We can fight it all we want, but that's just going to result in everybody else overpaying quarterbacks while we're stuck in a perpetual cycle of drafting a guy until we find someone we feel is WORTH the coin. How likely is that to happen? When are we going to find our Manning? Likely never...

Matt Ryan, for instance. You can VERY easily put Dalton in the same ballpark result-wise. Sure, Matt Ryan may have a better arm, but he hasn't had any MORE success than Dalton and you can argue that he's had much better targets to work with.

So, if Ryan has a 20mil/yr. contract, then why not Andy? I don't like it...you don't like it...I don't think anybody likes it. But, that's where the market is.

Like Hoosier said, though, it's all about structuring and guaranteed money. Ryan got a huge signing bonus. Last year, though, his base salary was only 2 mill. This year it will be 9.5 mill and it continues to escalate from there.

We should pay him 15 million a year just because someone else might?

I never said they should because someone else might. I don't think what any other team would do should factor into it in the least.

However, it's not a "might" on the part of other teams. Again, I truly believe there are plenty of teams that would pay him 15 million in a heartbeat.

That's also probably why they are asking for more. Someone will pay Dalton big coin.

Who that team is remains open to debate and i'm not saying the Bengals "should" pay him 20 million per season.

You have deals needing or going to happen with AJ, Dalton, and Burfict and we keep adding players with all these picks.

Next year we will be looking at another probable 2 higher comp picks in the draft that won't be getting cut right off the bat.

Where does all of that lead ?? I'm thinking a 1st, 2nd, (2) 3rd's, (2) 4th's. That's a lot of higher end talent coming onto a team.

Who has to go and what do those contracts look like to account for that type of influx ??

Do they cut load on some aging vets ?? Package picks to make a move up to reduce the incoming players ?? What ??

Just food for thought...

Here's a good place to start: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

Just looking at the top cap hit guys who are scheduled to come off the books after 2015 or 2016:

Hall ($8.7 million)

Whit ($6.2)

Gresham ($4.6)

Nelson ($4.5)

Maualuga ($3.8)

BJGE ($3)

Pacman ($2.8)

Geathers ($2.7)

Just there, that's $36+ million in cap space and we have either replacements already in the house or who could come in the next two drafts for all these guys.

Guys, the market is what it is. We can fight it all we want, but that's just going to result in everybody else overpaying quarterbacks while we're stuck in a perpetual cycle of drafting a guy until we find someone we feel is WORTH the coin. How likely is that to happen? When are we going to find our Manning? Likely never...

Matt Ryan, for instance. You can VERY easily put Dalton in the same ballpark result-wise. Sure, Matt Ryan may have a better arm, but he hasn't had any MORE success than Dalton and you can argue that he's had much better targets to work with.

So, if Ryan has a 20mil/yr. contract, then why not Andy? I don't like it...you don't like it...I don't think anybody likes it. But, that's where the market is.

So much this.

The consolation prize is that given the way the cap is set to skyrocket, $15-$20 million a year for a starting QB is going to look like a bargain in two or three years. I'll put my marker on Andrew Luck as the first $30 million/year QB, whether he wins a Lombardi or not.

Just food for thought...

Here's a good place to start: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

Just looking at the top cap hit guys who are scheduled to come off the books after 2015 or 2016:

Hall ($8.7 million)

Whit ($6.2)

Gresham ($4.6)

Nelson ($4.5)

Maualuga ($3.8)

BJGE ($3)

Pacman ($2.8)

Geathers ($2.7)

Just there, that's $36+ million in cap space and we have either replacements already in the house or who could come in the next two drafts for all these guys.

Way to kill what I thought would be a good topic of conversation.

I mean here you come with all the d*mn answers.

Good job Mr. Smart Guy !!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: