What Does Dalton Need to Do to Get Paid?

HoosierCat

12 members have voted

1. 1. What record qualifies Andy for big bucks?

• .500 or worse record, no playoffs
    • winning record, no playoffs
    • winning record, playoff loss (like the last 3 years)
    • 1 playoff win
    • 2-3 playoff wins
    • Super Bowl appearance
    • Super Bowl win
    • Pay him now
    • Move on ASAP

The consolation prize is that given the way the cap is set to skyrocket, $15-$20 million a year for a starting QB is going to look like a bargain in two or three years.

We are all forgetting 3 little letters - CBA. Mike Brown sees those $20 million numbers, and he pulls out a folder of 8" x 10" glossies of AJ McCarron and just stares dreamily at them, slowly, but surely, falling in love.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but it is not just cheapness anymore. It could be strategic. If you can someway, somehow, field a QB for several years on his rookie deal, think of what you can do with the rest of the roster. We could keep paying Hall until he's replaced every tendon in both legs.

Dalton is going to get paid north of 14 per year by either the Bengals or someone else.

Which again is cool with me what ever get the deal done,Jusy don't wanna even think about losing Vontaz.

But I guess they will have quite cap room clearing up sooner then later for future young guys.Since Leon,whitworth & others only have so many years left and take up most cap space.

I was figuring around the 15 million mark myself and won't be comfortable with the 20 million range at all.

Then again, like I said, it's all in how it's structured.

They can squat on AJ for the year and then tag him the following year if they were to so desire, so they aren't obligated to rush that.

Doesn't he have 2 years before we have to tag him? since first rounds have the Option year.

PS,If wants be paid now pay him 15million if he's expecting be paid top 3 then he can wait until his contract is about to expire.That way he can either earn it or shit a brick and take what was offered.

Another, more comparative way to look at it is who should get paid/deserves to get paid the *real* coin: Dalton or Burfict?

Is Dalton to QB'ing what Burfict is to LB'ing? If the answer is "no", do not pass Go, do not pay Dalton 16, 17, 18, 20M per year.

Let Dalton play out his thread and then assess. There, you'll have full body of work for Dalton, a list of draftable guys to develop and McCarron sitting there.

I vote 2-3 playoff wins but ... In reality, I think Dalton is rock dumb. Think Ryan Leaf but with more self-control, maybe higher ambition. Sure, he is qb football smart. Listen to his interviews closely and you'll hear what I mean. He just is ditzy. That quality right there is what attributes to the horrific interceptions he throws. I don't think there is much he can do to change this about himself.

• 1 month later...

That article just confirms what we all see week after week. My common refrain in response to people who shove Dalton's stats at me - "I have eyes."

Same here. I've noticed that Dalton misses high a lot. In my experience, that comes from poor footwork. Hopefully his offseason workouts with that QB guru helped fix that. I'm just mystified that Zampese hasn't corrected it in 3 years.

If you want to see consistently high throws from a Bengal QB just go back and watch Palmer in almost every game his last two seasons here. I really don't notice much of this with Dalton. The worst thing I complain about was the play-calling last two seasons. Way to many heave it and hope Green will catch it calls by Gruden.

Yah, Palmer had high throw issues for sure.

One thing I think you have to take into account is scheme. Harvey has an interesting "factoid" article today here:

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/9148/bengals-hue-jackson-factoid-spreading-catches

The tl;dr version: Jay Gruden's offense was built around forcing the ball to Green and Gresham. From 2011-13, more than 1 out of every 4 receptions was to AJ, and 1 out of 6 to Jermaine. Together they caught over 42% of all the bazillion passes Dalton threw.

When you're that predictable, defenses are going to put their best guys and their strongest coverages on those targets, so you are going to have to throw all kinds of borderline balls. In Oakland Jackson spread the ball around a lot more. He needs to do that here too.

In Oakland Jackson spread the ball around a lot more. He needs to do that here too.

Couldn't agree more. If we are to claim that Dalton has all the weapons he needs to run this offense and then the scheme dictates he doesn't use them, then that amounts to much beating your head against the wall.

In Oakland Jackson spread the ball around a lot more. He needs to do that here too.

Couldn't agree more. If we are to claim that Dalton has all the weapons he needs to run this offense and then the scheme dictates he doesn't use them, then that amounts to much beating your head against the wall.

Dalton spread the ball around quite a bit.

The issue was not how dispersed the throws were, it was there were simply too many throws.

Run our guns, Gio and Hill.

About every couple weeks someone, Hue, Marvin, AJ, comes out in the press and professes his love and admiration for Andy.

Why he needs this public propping-up, I don't know. Seriously doubt you'd see it in Indy, San Fran, Denver, Pittsburgh, etc.

Why he needs this public propping-up, I don't know.

Yeah. I mean, if there had been 8,743,982 articles in the last few months questioning whether the bengals should extend him, I could understand it. As it is, it's completely mystifying.

[/sarcasm]

Yeah. I mean, if there had been 8,743,982 articles in the last few months questioning whether the bengals should extend him, I could understand it. As it is, it's completely mystifying.

[/sarcasm]

And whose fault is that besides his own? Why baby the man? He's a grown ass man going into his 4th NFL season. If he needs constant coddling and kid gloves, maybe this isn't the right occupation for him

[/sarcasm]

And whose fault is that besides his own? Why baby the man? He's a grown ass man going into his 4th NFL season. If he needs constant coddling and kid gloves, maybe this isn't the right occupation for him

I would guess that these public backings by coaches and players are unasked for by Dalton and in response to all the bashing he is receiving in the media, and from some of the fans, for leading his team to three straight playoff appearances in his first three seasons without a win. I guess having stats comparable to some of the best QB's ever in his first three seasons are not good enough for the fanbase of the Bengals and the media that seem to not remember the mess he fixed for this team 4 years ago. This results in the professional people that surround him daily coming out to support a player that they think is getting a raw deal.

Shockingly simple to explain, if you use some common sense.

NOT SARCASM!

Why are the even conversations about whether or not Dalton has to be propped up or anything of that nature ??

Is it so bad we have to make up something and call it fact just to have something to bitch and moan about ??

Just get through the offseason and relax everyone. Go outside, grill some steaks and drink a beer.

Also, just check out PFT each day and you will see some fluff story about how some coach or player thinks their QB will take them to the Super Bowl this season. It happens with every team from one player perspective or another. Stop making it sound like the Bengals are the only team this happens with.

Jesus...

make up something and call it fact just to have something to bitch and moan about ??

I believe this is the official mission statement for all sports media.

This is why ESPN has lost me as a viewer, reader, or listener. I just can't stand all the hyperbole.

make up something and call it fact just to have something to bitch and moan about ??

I believe this is the official mission statement for all sports media.

This is why ESPN has lost me as a viewer, reader, or listener. I just can't stand all the hyperbole.

It does get tiresome, but at least we are finally getting back to actual football this week. That usually helps tone things down a bit.

I know it's all part of the offseason, but that crap is beyond tiresome.

Then you get people that want to jump all over it and start defending the crappy topic. Unreal.

In checking in with PFT in the middle of this post, you will find:

The Giants RB Wilson is back from surgery and "can add an explosive element".

Ladarius Webb from the Ravens is talking about how the Ravens are going to "bounce back".

It's also "impressive to watch Cutler make organization better".

Marquise Goodwin of the bills is healthy again and the Bills "will have plenty of game-breaking potential".

The Jets "David Harris is the most underrated player in the NFL" according to Rex Ryan.

And that's just on the first page of most recent articles posted.

Go to the next page and you will find more of the same.

Not one of those articles is about Dalton or the Bengals.

EVERY team deals with this in the offseason.