Free Agency

combatbengal

Good signing, but now I wonder if they let Collins go, and let Whit go back to tackle and pollack play guard.

I don't think Pollack has much to do with them bringing back Collins actually.

They still have to contend with the thought of Boling not being ready at the start of the season still.

Cap could hit $145 million next year and $160 million in 2016.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

Plenty of room to lock down anyone they want. Not that I mind Pollack coming back but they may need to be more proactive with some of the bigger fish. Everyone is going to have a ton of space that they have to use and that may mean that the wait for the market to settle strategy will backfire. We'll see starting tomorrow.

They still have to contend with the thought of Boling not being ready at the start of the season still.

And that is if Boling comes back from the ACL intact ..... maybe signing Pollack adds some experience and stability and developmental time should they need to go searching in the draft

I've said all along they will be taking at least one OT in the draft and if AC leaves, possibly two.

OG is another option along with how they truly view Cook and taking a Center.

I still say AC is the key to how everything else will work, but i'm expecting this to get done later rather than sooner.

Jets may pursue Baby Hawk. I think willy called that earlier.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/7/5482236/ny-jets-and-washington-redskins-could-have-interest-in-andrew-hawkins

Also some rumblings about Zim coming after Vinny Rey as well as MJ.

BIG NEWZ!!!!

Mike Pollack signed.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-exerting-homegrown-policy/bbe5b45c-26a1-4e00-8045-b088354d8fa4

That's it folks, we're done, cap space zero, see you in September!

I mean, if you figure the rookie pool, injury pool, signing our RFAs.... they are essentially broke! <turns out pockets>

Clearly none of us knows how hard it is to run an NFL team.....

Cincy making an 11th hour attempt to sign AC before FA opens Tuesday.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/nfl-free-agency-2014/2014/3/7/5482838/bengals-making-last-second-effort-to-re-sign-anthony-collins

The Eagles have interest in MJ.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331932/article/eagles-reportedly-showing-some-interest-in-michael-johnson

the following is basically my dream FA season for the Bengals

As I see it, our number 1 need for help is at center but there doesn't appear to be an available Center who could help us, so I haven't listed one here. I also hope and pray that the Bengals are projecting Pollak as their new Center - he played there his final 2 years in college and is considerably more physical than Cook. Let Cook finish out his current extension as a backup at both C and G, and draft the heir apparent Center this spring on day 2

I also want to see a "relief pitcher" QB added to the roster to come in on those days when it is obvious that "Bad Andy" has showed up, but other than Michael Vick I don't see that guy out there in FA. The qb fa crop is very, very thin this year. Maybe Jason Campbell, who has had some pretty good games too, but I hear he complains about cold weather and I am pretty sure he felt betrayed when Hue Jackson traded for Carson Palmer 3 years ago. I think this role will probably have to be filled in the draft, maybe Fales or Carr

In no particular order after the first three:

1) Retain Collins

2) Let MJ walk, earn 3rd round comp pick next year's draft

Sorry folks. I like the guy but not for 10 mil+ a year. Let someone else pay superstar money for a DE I think is good, but not a superstar

3) Retain LastName Rey

Far better than average backup, arguably should start over Firstname Rey

4) Sign S TJ Ward 5'10" 200lbs
/>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/21/ranking-the-2014-free-agents-safeties/

"He was credited with 29 stops on running plays, five more than any other safety in 2013. To further display his strong all-around play, quarterbacks had just a 61.3 rating when throwing his direction. The most underutilized part of Ward’s game is his ability to blitz. He generated five pressures and two sacks on just 20 pass rushing opportunities last year."

Basically one single bigname FA signing, and this is it. The fact that he knows this division already is a HUGE bonus. A decent alternative is Donte Whitner, who should cost a bit less

5) Sign RB Rashard Jennings 6' 1", 231lbs
/>http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/3/6/5479064/ny-jets-potential-jets-rashad-jennings

"After taking over the starting job, over a seven game stretch Jennings racked up 584 yards and 6 TDs while adding 22 catches for 187 yards and looking every bit one of the best backs in the NFL."

" Jennings has excellent hands and receiving skills, a skill set sorely lacking in Ivory. Jennings could make Marty Mornhinweg's offense hum, as he presents the kind of dual threat that forces a defense to account for him on passing plays. Jennings is also a willing and competent pass blocker"

Would like to see this guy in on a 2-3 year contract as the replacement for the Law Firm

The market for RBs this year is almost nonexistent so he could be had for a bargain price

Everything I am hearing is that Tampa Bay has already tired of last years high priced FA and wants to make MJ the new Revis

So we now know more about Michael Johnson....which does he prefer....a big paycheck and playing for a losing team, or a slightly smaller paycheck and playing for a winning team?

Have fun playing in obscurity for the "Cleveland" of the NFC South

Everything I am hearing is that Tampa Bay has already tired of last years high priced FA and wants to make MJ the new Revis

So we now know more about Michael Johnson....which does he prefer....a big paycheck and playing for a losing team, or a slightly smaller paycheck and playing for a winning team?

Collins too.

/>Http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/9/5489300/report-anthony-collins-expected-to-sign-with-buccaneers

I'll be pissed if they lose Collins he was one guy I wanted back. They keep saying they want to keep there own guys, I understand MJ, but letting Collins go is a big mistake in my mind, with Whit getting older. So what guys do they keep, Mays, Tate, wow can't wait for this offseason lol.

The running back out there that intrigues me is Ben Tate who got released from the Texans.

I think he would be a nice compliment to Gio.

I never thought MJ was coming back regardless of the cap bump. I know it became more feasible, but there are too many teams willing to overpay.

Just wait for it, he will get a deal that there was simply no way he would have gotten from the Bengals.

I also believe going to a team without another better than average DE and a dominant DT will leave him out there a little exposed.

I liked MJ when he was here and wish him well, but just saying.

Unless Collins truly doesn't want to be here, there is no reason the Bengals can't get him finished up.

Letting him go looks like a fairly huge mistake that will only lead to further questions and draft concerns.

The only way it makes sense is if the team knows something we simply aren't aware of.

Minus that, i'll be pissed as well.

I think we will be fine at DE without MJ, but still wouldn't mind Jared Allen coming over from the Vikings.

He has stated he wants to play for a team that is a contender and will understand a rotational situation.

Sounds like the best of both worlds for the Bengals. Putting him in that rotation would look nice in my opinion.

Collins too.

/>Http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/9/5489300/report-anthony-collins-expected-to-sign-with-buccaneers

shit shit shit

Collins too.

shit shit shit

Yup. Skunky also made mention of Collins-to-Tampa in MMQB today, and added he thinks the FA tackles will come off the table first because so many deals are close to done.

If the Bengals don't retain Collins, let Whitworth move back to LT and slide Boling back in at guard, keep Cook at center....uhhhhhh....

It's going to be a long season. The O-line is the number one priority for this team IMO. That is, if they are serious about "getting Andy all the help he needs to succeed".

Time to step up and prove that notion, FO.

SHIT

:lmao:/>

Just prepare yourself to read something like this on the .com on, oh, Wednesday or Thursday.

CINCINNATI -- With tackle Anthony Collins signing a five-year, $35 million deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Bengals moved quickly to shore up their offensive line depth by re-signing free agent tackle Dennis Roland.

ESPN reported the signing as a two-year, $7 million deal.

"I'm just jazzed to be back on the team," Roland said. "I mean, anyone who has watched a Bengals game or even a few seconds of film knows I don't belong in an NFL uniform. But the Bengals just keep throwing money at me. Is this a great country or what?"

If the thought is that they are simply going to play Whit at LT, then I think we can anticipate seeing Pollak start at LG.

Boling will be lucky to be ready to go by the start of the season.

Whit, Pollak, Cook, Zeitler, Smith.

Crappy part about that is, I think it ups how many OT's we take in the draft and forces it to be earlier in the process.