Shipley released

UK Bengal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't stay healthy on the Bengals, gtfo. He had a head injury and a knee injury in successive seasons. And that was when he was young. I liked him a lot, but my guess would be he missed half the games while he was here. I'm not sure how any team can deal with that.

Can't stay healthy on the Bengals, gtfo. He had a head injury and a knee injury in successive seasons. And that was when he was young. I liked him a lot, but my guess would be he missed half the games while he was here. I'm not sure how any team can deal with that.

He missed 1 game in 2010. Thats it, 1. So A guy tears his acl 1 time playing football and you cant figure out how any team could deal with that? Tate suffered 2 knee injuries his rookie year as well, better bail on him. Until one of the other wideouts can prove they are capable of 52 catches as a 3rd wideout and primary 3rd down threat, I see this as a short sighted move. Hell, Tate has 1 extra season, 11 more starts, and about 1/3rd the catches.

I personally will not turn on a guy. And I hope he goes on to be second in the nfl in recieving(behind green) for the next 5 years. Good player, good man.

Anyone else having problems with the board loading veerrry slowly? (caught up on loading an ad or something)

I thought they would PUP or IR him for a while at least, and maybe they'll still sign him back and stash him somewhere, who knows (doesn't sound like it yet).

Hate to see an ailing player just cut like that - pretty heartless. Especially after spending a 3rd round pick on him 2 year ago, and having a very solid rookie year.

No surprise after the last few weeks. No ill wishes here; I hope he can catch on someplace else.

That's a shame. He's a good kid and I hope he gets on somewhere else.

Kind of a shame. I liked him and wish him the best.

Hate to see an ailing player just cut like that - pretty heartless.

It's a lot less heartless than waiting until final cuts. Now he at least has an opportunity to try to make it on another team.

We all pretty much knew this was coming ever since he started training camp on the PUP. The Bengals have lots of young WR options. Why drag it out? Let Shipley go try to make a team someplace else.

He missed 1 game in 2010. Thats it, 1. So A guy tears his acl 1 time playing football and you cant figure out how any team could deal with that?

This goes beyond his NFL career. He had a serious knee injury in 2004 that caused him to miss most of his freshman year. He also missed several games his sophomore year with a hamstring. I like Shipley a lot, but he does have a long injury history.

Besides, his game is no about speed - It's about quickness. And when his knee is not 100%, he just doesn't have what he needs to succeed in the NFL. If he was healthy, he would have been a lock to make the team... but right now he's not. Maybe he can find a team with less WR depth and get time to be healthy - or maybe he can just train for the next year and make a comeback. Either way, it was the right move for the Bengals, because they are still going to have to cut another decent WR before it's all said and done.

Hate to see an ailing player just cut like that - pretty heartless.

It's a lot less heartless than waiting until final cuts. Now he at least has an opportunity to try to make it on another team.

We all pretty much knew this was coming ever since he started training camp on the PUP. The Bengals have lots of young WR options. Why drag it out? Let Shipley go try to make a team someplace else.

I think this would be the case if he were healthy, but who really wants to take a chance on him if he can't play right now and is struggling with recovering?

Hopefully somebody does, and it works out for him. But why wouldn't you seek to trade him at least if he had value, and you thought someone wanted him? Did they think that little of him?

He missed 1 game in 2010. Thats it, 1. So A guy tears his acl 1 time playing football and you cant figure out how any team could deal with that?

This goes beyond his NFL career. He had a serious knee injury in 2004 that caused him to miss most of his freshman year. He also missed several games his sophomore year with a hamstring. I like Shipley a lot, but he does have a long injury history.

Besides, his game is no about speed - It's about quickness. And when his knee is not 100%, he just doesn't have what he needs to succeed in the NFL. If he was healthy, he would have been a lock to make the team... but right now he's not. Maybe he can find a team with less WR depth and get time to be healthy - or maybe he can just train for the next year and make a comeback. Either way, it was the right move for the Bengals, because they are still going to have to cut another decent WR before it's all said and done.

Then why hold onto guys like Fanene and Rucker for so long, when they were constantly on the IR or recovering from injury, then when they have a good year and stay healthy, you just let them go? (for a comparison)

Things the Bengals do often do not make sense. Your points about his history are duly noted, but there are a LOT of NFL and college players who get injured several times, two injuries (including a hammy) in college are nothing unusual. I also noticed Shipley had bulked-up quite a bit to hopefully become more injury resistant.

Then why hold onto guys like Fanene and Rucker for so long, when they were constantly on the IR or recovering from injury, then when they have a good year and stay healthy, you just let them go? (for a comparison)

If you want to argue that they should have placed Shipley on the IR instead, I'll listen. I did think it was odd that they removed him from the PUP in the first place. They could have left him there and given him a couple more months to rehab. If he still wasn't there by week 9 - place him on IR and try again next year.

That said, that's kind of a selfish way to treat a player. It is essentially abusing the system to keep Shipley from getting an opportunity. The Bengals could have held onto his rights, but it would have meant that Shipley would be forced to take an entire year off. I doubt that is what Shipley wants. If he really needs the year off to get healthy, he'll have it. But it is just as likely that he'll find another team to play for.

I'm not sure I get the Rucker/Fanene argument. Those guys may have been dinged up a lot - but they also earned their spot on the roster every year. That is something Shipley wasn't able to do this year. So I don't see the parallel.

I just looked it up (because it was mentioned elsewhere)...

The Bengals currently have 85 players on the roster. Only 23 of those players were with the Bengals in 2010. And there are a couple of those guys that I see still getting cut (Pat Sims and Vincent Rey).

The Bengals will likely only have 21 players from 2010 on the 2012 roster. That is an absolute ton of turnover.

I hate it, beacuse I really love Shipley, but this is the kindest thing the Bengals could have done. Cut him early and let him catch on somewhere else where he'll hopefully be very successful.

I'm a fan wherever he ends up.

Just find it hard he wasn't better then our 6th WR,More so since hes a returner also.

Just find it hard he wasn't better then our 6th WR,

I don't. Who are you going to cut to keep him if he isn't 100%? He can't do the things that made him good 2 years ago.

Green, Tate, Binns, Sanu, Hawkins, Jones, and Whalen are all way ahead of him right now.

More so since hes a returner also.

He's not a returner in the NFL. He was in college.

Besides, the Bengals have returners out the ass. Tate, Pacman, Hawkins, and Jones are all trying to win the return job. A slow gimpy WR isn't much use in the return game.

Things the Bengals do often do not make sense. Your points about his history are duly noted, but there are a LOT of NFL and college players who get injured several times, two injuries (including a hammy) in college are nothing unusual. I also noticed Shipley had bulked-up quite a bit to hopefully become more injury resistant.

Can be seen from both sides. Look at all the downtime TJ had, year after year with his hammy issues.

Maybe there is more to his knee than we are able to see/know? I tend to think if he represented long term value, and could come back if given time, he'd be here. After Green, there are only questions, at least Shpley showed he could produce. I really saw no downside in PUP/IR'ing him until he could recover. That is, unless his knee is truly botched up. Which is a possibility.

As much as I hate this move it had to happen. Derek I think Whalen will be next WR to be cut he can't stay healthy either. I wish they would have IR him but that's not fair to Shipley who wanted to come off of pup because he thought he was 100 percent ready to go. This team has good WRs and it seems like Gruden likes Hawkins more anyways. I wish Shipley well with a new team I'll interested though how his knee holds up.