Shipley released

UK Bengal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I may have liked Shipley, the Bengals made the right decision regardless of what other teams put in a claim. He just wasn't going to be one of the 6 best WR's unless he was fully healthy. He wasn't and now he's in Tampa Bay.

I wish him nothing but luck and hope he gets healthy and has a good future with them.

Time to move on and focus on our own WR situation.

There's still another cut coming unless they keep 7, which I don't see happening.

I don't have much to add other than to echo other's sentiments. I was really high on Shipley and talked him up a lot, but I agree that the Bengals shouldn't have just kept him around for what he could have been or even for what he might be later. I've always disliked how we let people hang around the team hoping they'd become something later or that they'd return to a form they had before injury. More often than not, this has not panned out for us. I really, really hope he has a great career and bear no hate for the guy at all.

I've always disliked how we let people hang around the team hoping they'd become something later or that they'd return to a form they had before injury. More often than not, this has not panned out for us.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just a few short years ago, a 3rd round pick, what with their cost of 500K or so a year, would have been kept throughout the length of his rookie contract, barring almost anything short of a completely debilitating injury ie Kenny Irons.

Now, we seem to be looking for players who can get on the field and play football this season.

I like it, and thus the "gtfo" remark I made earlier, not so much an insult to Jordan Shipley, but a reflection of years of frustration with players like TJ's all-time favorite, Chris Perry, who was hurt during the majority of his contract. It takes up cap room and roster space and just slows down the whole organization. Plus with Cincinnati's (on) crack medical staff, half these guys end up wrecked anyway. So if you're hurt, gtfo. It's for your own good.