Bengals Defense line getting alot worse.

Kazkal

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those sack are a legit question. My sense, since they are still reportedly sniffing around DEs, is that they're going to bring a bunch to camp and see who (if anyone) emerges from the scrum.

I would not be surprised at all if they drafted a DE or DE/LB type early.

Per Adam Schefter:

Bengals resigned Pat Sims and have agreed to terms with Jaamal Anderson, DE, Colts.

sensible, solid moves. :sure:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGfLFmlU8zo

This is awesome.

Bengal fans stop going to games for reasons mentioned in the video and then get hammered for not being loyal. BS. In some ways Bengals fans did/are doing something other fans only talk about. Staying away. With that said, I hope attendance increases in 2012.

Stick it to 'em Browns fans. You only have one thing you can control. Your money.

• 4 months later...

Wow. That's huge news. They signed him to a 3 yr contract. They obviously aren't even interested in waiting for him to heal after surgery. This isn't to Antonio Bryant levels but it's getting there. How many 3 yr contracts do the Pats eat before the player plays a down?

Kudos for being on top of this Derek...

That's the power of the twitterverse.

I'm seeing a lot of Bengal fans wanting to bring him back because of the lack of depth at DE... but Fanene did most of his damage for Cincy as a DT (where the Bengals are stacked) and he's got an injured knee. So while his bum knee would help him fit in with the rest of the defense... I just can't see it.

That's the power of the twitterverse.

I'm seeing a lot of Bengal fans wanting to bring him back because of the lack of depth at DE... but Fanene did most of his damage for Cincy as a DT (where the Bengals are stacked) and he's got an injured knee. So while his bum knee would help him fit in with the rest of the defense... I just can't see it.

You don't waste a roster spot on someone who can't play. What are these "fans" smoking? The guy's 30 yrs old, has always had health problems and now needs to go under the knife. Forget it

I would be surprised if anyone picks him up. If the Pats just ate his $4 million SB rather than, say, just putting him on PUP or even IR, the knee must be f*cked.

Tough break for Fanene.

It's not a tough break for Fanene. He got his payday and I'm happy for him. If not for the Pats he wouldn't be sitting on that $4mill bonus. He ought to go get the surgery and then look for another job either at the end of this yr or in 2013. If he gets healthy and we have a need I'd consider him for Nov/Dec.

Lol'ing at this thread before the bump.

Well, let's hope you're still loling in a couple months. Fanene and Rucker are gone, Geathers got knocked out on the first day of camp, Derrick Harvey flamed out and Carlos Dunlap continues to struggle with durability issues. Heck, they just signed some scrub DE in order to have enough bodies on the line to finish out the preseason.

Lol'ing at this thread before the bump.

Well, let's hope you're still loling in a couple months. Fanene and Rucker are gone, Geathers got knocked out on the first day of camp, Derrick Harvey flamed out and Carlos Dunlap continues to struggle with durability issues. Heck, they just signed some scrub DE in order to have enough bodies on the line to finish out the preseason.

Well, the loss of Rucker and Fanene have nothing to do with the Bengals current depth woes.

Fanene certainly wouldn't be helpful on that front. Word is that he has arthritis in his knee, and failed to inform the Patriots - who will now be attempting to recover some or all of that signing bonus (imagine the s**t storm if this was currently going down in Cincy - both on the medical staff front, and the cheapness front).

Rucker's replacement (Jamaal Anderson) has actually done well.

In other words... if the Bengals had spent the money and retained both Fanene and Rucker, they'd have essentially the same exact depth issues they have now - but they would have spent a lot more money to get there.

I've always liked Fanene despite his well known injury history - very productive when not injured, and was paid commensurately - as quality depth

Very good 7th round pick

So if we find we have a need at DT/DE later in the year, and if he is healed up by that time, I'd love to see him back.

If he aint healed up this year - well, there is always next year.

Well, the loss of Rucker and Fanene have nothing to do with the Bengals current depth woes.

Right. That would be the fault of the strategy to replace them. Which was to scrape several guys out of the bargain bin, cross their fingers and hope for the best. Now, if Geathers and Dunlap can get their knees working again, it could still pan out. It could also get ugly real quick.

Like I said, I hope mem's still laughing in a couple of months.

Right. That would be the fault of the strategy to replace them.

Wrong again. They were replaced with Jamaal Anderson and Devon Still. Both guys are doing well.

The hand wringing in this thread has to do with Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker. The hand-wringing you're doing now has to do with Robert Geathers and Carlos Dunlap.

The Geathers/Dunlap issue is a legitimate concern... but it's disingenuous to look at that issue and blame it on the loss of two role players who have been adequately replaced.

Yea I thought they drafted well for d-line depth. Anderson so far in preseason has looked good, as well as Moch when he puts his hands down. I've even seen Lawson with his hand on the ground. This team has options and with cuts coming around the corner they may pick someone else up. I'm not overly concerned and hope both guys will get back soon. Least Dunlap is not using crutches anymore and is walking pretty good.