Zimmer Linked to HC Jobs in Tampa, Miami

HoosierCat

Give me a guy in Del Rio who i think would be pretty good fit here, but if this drags on i can see him going to Atlanta.

For some reason, Del Rio's never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed. Not saying a DC has to be a genius, but the best ones are usually fairly smart.

He did great in Baltimore with Marvin, so i just think if they get back toghter again, maybe good things will happen. Who knows

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were to come down to an in house guy like Coyle and Del Rio, you'd think the scale would tip towards Del Rio. The Bengals are trying to get the fanbase back and purchase season tickets. A bigger name might help. I really have no preference. There's nobody out there that makes me say "We have to have him!".

For some reason, Del Rio's never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Maybe... but being perceived as the smartest guy in the room doesn't make you a good coach (see Brian Billick).

My lasting memory of Del Rio is when he became the D-Coordinator in Carolina. Their Defense ranked dead last in 2001, and he showed up in 2002 and turned them into the #2 ranked unit in the NFL. That's impressive... even for a smart guy.

The complaints about him in Jacksonville were that he didn't know anything about offense, and he stayed out of it. That makes for a terrible head coach... but Jacksonville has had some stout defenses while he's been there. That leads me to believe that he's a damn fine defensive coordinator.

All that said... Del Rio has just as many ties to Mike Smith in Atlanta as he does to Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, so I'd bet that Coyle is the most likely to get the job in Cincinnati if Zimmer leaves. And apparently the Eagles wanted Coyle to be their D-Coordinator last year, so it's not as if that would be a terrible scenario.

I still want Del Rio but something tells me the longer this takes, the more likly he will end up in Atlanta. Im not sure if i like Coyle as a DC, but then again i guess we really dont know how he will be. Maybe he does they will bring in Rod Woodson as DB coach i think he was here one year as a intern coach. Not sure but i wish the Fins would hurry up here LOL.

coyle is the leading candidate to replace zimmer. at least that's what hobson is claiming.

If Zimmer gets one of the jobs, the speculation for the leading in-house candidate to replace him is secondary coach Kevin Coyle. Coyle just finished his 11th season with the club after a college career he was the defensive coordinator at Holy Cross, Syracuse, Maryland and Fresno State...

According to PFT Zimmer to Dolphins is heating up, and they are leaning towards Zim.

If this is true then i hope it happens quick like tomorrow, while there are still good DC coaches available. Del Rio is still out there, and so is Nolen. Hope they decide to talk to other coaches before they would just settle on Coyle!

I'm gonna miss Zimmer,He was a great dude I just hope we find someone who can bring same out of his players like zimmer did.

PS,Nolen wouldn't be bad he was a coach in Baltimore when marvin was DC no?

Yea i know he was more of a 3-4 guy, not sure how much 4-3 he has run, but wouldnt mind him either. Del Rio or Nolen i would be happy with.

Ill miss Zim to, but he derserves his shot, i would like to see the next coach though take this defense to the next step, in being more consistant! I would love somebody to get these guys to finish the year strong!

If we have to lose one of the coordinators, I'm glad it's Zimmer. Nothing against him, but the offense just got turned around and with rookie OC, QB, and 1 WR, continuity is much more important on that side of the ball. I think Zimmer will be an excellent head coach. Tom Coughlinish.

I don't particularly want to lose Zimmer, but at this point I really hope he gets a HC position. It's obviously what he wants, and I can't imagine his heart being completely in his job in Cincy if he were to miss out on both of these opportunities.

Plus, the guy deserves it. Our D hasn't put together a complete season under him yet, but he's made it a top 10 unit without an overwhelming amount of talent, which is leaps and bounds above where we were when he arrived.

Per PFT zimmer to fins is a done deal contract being finalised.

If this report is true and the Dolphins are still interviewing candidates, then the Zimmer contract is anything but a done deal

/>http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/16/2710717/mike-mccoy-miami-dolphins-head-coach-denver-broncos

Per PFT zimmer to fins is a done deal contract being finalised.

Bengals.com says hes out of running for the phins,Hopefully buccaneers don't take him away.

I however wonder though like Skyline said will his heart still be with this job, knowing though that he just wants a HC job?? I hope this year will be his best year here. I still hope that they get Del Rio to come in maybe for a LBs spot or something like that. I still belive this defense needs to be more consistant, so anyway they can help do that i hope they do!