Jumpin Jerome Simpson

Kazkal

I hope he can magically jump out of a prison cell, because he'd be nice to have around next season.

Don't you think if charges were going to be filed, they would have been so by now? Personally I'm bewildered why they haven't.

Didn't Hoosier murmur somewhere on here that he's heard rumors that a screwup in cali has led to a scenario where Simpson won't be charged?

Yep. That's the first I heard of that rumor. It seems almost too good to be true. Busted with 8 pounds and you walk scott free? Sounds like something out of the movies, not real life.

Didn't Hoosier murmur somewhere on here that he's heard rumors that a screwup in cali has led to a scenario where Simpson won't be charged?

Yep. That's the first I heard of that rumor. It seems almost too good to be true. Busted with 8 pounds and you walk scott free? Sounds like something out of the movies, not real life.

It would be like the feds were between him and freedom with cuffs and an indictment and he just somersaulted right over them...

Coolest and Dumbest play I have seen all year. I think that sums up Jerome to a tee.

Pardon my asking, but what's dumb about it?

I can answer that. He is very lucky that the ball was not stripped from his outstretched hand. Why would you carry the ball in such a way?

Coolest and Dumbest play I have seen all year. I think that sums up Jerome to a tee.

It was him and a LB on the 1 yard line, all he had to do was juke to the inside and he wouldn't have been touched. He could have fumbled the ball. Heck, if Washington had come up under him he could have broken his neck. It was a ridiculously risky move, it happened to pay off but what would have happened if he came down wrong, fumbled the ball out of the endzone and gotten hurt for the rest of the season. It simply didn't need to happen.

It was him and a LB on the 1 yard line, all he had to do was juke to the inside and he wouldn't have been touched. He could have fumbled the ball. Heck, if Washington had come up under him he could have broken his neck. It was a ridiculously risky move, it happened to pay off but what would have happened if he came down wrong, fumbled the ball out of the endzone and gotten hurt for the rest of the season. It simply didn't need to happen.

even juke inside can go wrong, what if LB jump and barely got his foot and cause simpson tripped and broke his foot or while he fall down he use his hand on ground and broke his wrist? anything can happen in NFL, simpson obviously pick right thing to do.

Not me. That was our five-card-stud, jjakq.

FWIW, Reedy has been adamant on twitter all season that the chances Rome returns are zero. No details on why he believes that's the case other than vague references to maturity issues.

Wraith's sentiment is one that Marvin Lewis stated at the press conference.

The Bengals are super-thin at WR right now. The #3 and #4 WRs are on IR. Hawkins and Whalen are strictly slot-receivers. Tate and Binn are incredibly inexperienced. The Bengals simply don't have a credible threat on the outside if either Green or Simpson get hurt.

Marvin admitted it was impressive... but I think his concern is that when you go airborne like that, you open yourself up to a myriad of possibilities that could end badly, and Simpson could have used his athleticism in a much safer way... simply changing direction.

If he had landed strangely and torn his ACL, we'd be talking about how stupid he was for attempting something that reckless. It was awesome, and fun to watch... but Marvin is a coach, and his job is to tell Simpson that the team needs him healthy.

Hoosier may have mentioned it too but I posted about it yesterday in another thread. I heard some second-hand info that the people in California messed up and that Simpson may not get charged. It's also unclear if this purchase falls into the category of "medicinal" which is legal in Cali. But I'm not sure what the rules are about transporting across state lines.

It's all word of mouth but so far it appears to be true. I'm just concerned about what Goodell might do heading into next season.

FWIW, someone asked Reedy about Jerome's future in today's Enquirer chat, and he replied that it didn't look great, but as far as the pot mess was concerned it was looking like it would not be as big a deal as everyone initially believed. Which jibes with what jjakq is hearing.

Jerome is on Marvin's s**t list, that's for sure. He made what is probably the play of the year in the NFL, and Marvin casts it as a selfish dangerous play. Looks like he could be gone, but it's a shame they spent 2nd round money on him, spent a roster spot on him for 3 years to develop him, and when he finally gets on the field his contract runs out and they let him walk.

Then again, if he doesn't fit the team ethos, f**k him.

Jerome is on Marvin's s**t list, that's for sure. He made what is probably the play of the year in the NFL, and Marvin casts it as a selfish dangerous play. Looks like he could be gone, but it's a shame they spent 2nd round money on him, spent a roster spot on him for 3 years to develop him, and when he finally gets on the field his contract runs out and they let him walk.

Then again, if he doesn't fit the team ethos, f**k him.

I don't really get the "sh*t list" vibe. I think the issue is that Rome is a bit like Chad in that he's a big kid. You saw that with the somersault. The smart pro move (and this is Marvin's point) is just to juke the guy and go into the end zone. Flipping over the guy is the big kid move. It looks great on TV but if you land badly you could knock yourself out for the year.

I think it's at least 50/50 Jerome comes back. It's not like they have any other answer if Green gets hurt.

Jerome is on Marvin's s**t list, that's for sure. He made what is probably the play of the year in the NFL, and Marvin casts it as a selfish dangerous play.

I must have missed that comment by our HC.

He was a little more positive in an interview earlier in the week.

You said Saturday after the game that you hadn’t gotten a chance to see a replay of Jerome Simpson’s flip into the endzone, but now that you’ve had a chance to watch the film, what do you think of it? “I don’t know what the Russian judge would’ve given him (laughs) …”

The Germans gave him a 10.0 … “(Laughs) A 10.0. It was a pretty good landing. With Jerome’s athleticism, we’ve spoken about it many, many times, and that was another display – a public display – of it. He’s got incredible athletic tools. He played very hard in this game, he played really hard. So I’m proud of him for how he continues to keep playing. He went in there and blocked hard. We just keep pushing him to be as consistent as he can be in all phases of his game.”

Does that give him a good boost into this week’s game, since he’s had success in his last couple games against Baltimore? “What happened last time or last week has no bearing. He’s had to be just as diligent in his preparation this week as he’s been week in and week out. Hopefully good things will happen.”

Simpson seems to have an unbridled enthusiasm, and he’s so athletic to go along with it that plays like the flip from Saturday could scare you a little bit. If he lands the wrong way, he could have been injured in a number of different ways. Do you ever have to rein him in a little bit? “You just have to be careful. There’s other ways to score. It’s him and a linebacker, so just cut back and score the easy way. For effect, it sure was big.”

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/12/26/monday-with-marvin-post-arizona-pre-baltimore-edition/

I've always hated the Simpson pick, but I don't care who you are, that was the play of the year.

He's been inconsistent but he's looked a lot better this year than previously. I'd take him back if 1) it was cheap, 2) he's not at risk of prosecution, 3) the Bengals don't overdo it on the density of turds, and 4) his side business permanently goes up in smoke.