Bengals @ Seattle Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

In good news coming off the bye, Pacman is back at practice after coming off the PUP list. No sign of Rivers, though.

Also no on the field today were Maualuga (ankle) and Howard (hammy). Smith was out but only worked on the side.

Meanwhile, the 'hags aren't having much luck with injuries. The guy who replaced Marcus Trufant broke his leg yesterday so they could be starting a rookie corner Sunday. And whether Marshawn Lynch or Tavaris Jackson will play is anybody's guess right now.

In good news coming off the bye, Pacman is back at practice after coming off the PUP list. No sign of Rivers, though.

Also no on the field today were Maualuga (ankle) and Howard (hammy). Smith was out but only worked on the side.

Meanwhile, the 'hags aren't having much luck with injuries. The guy who replaced Marcus Trufant broke his leg yesterday so they could be starting a rookie corner Sunday. And whether Marshawn Lynch or Tavaris Jackson will play is anybody's guess right now.

As Bengal fans we need to root like heck for Jackson to stay on the sidelines. OK, he's no Tom Brady but Whitehurst is..."something else". I heard someone on ESPN say that Tebow's performance was as bad as anyone's yesterday and I wanted to yell at him "you must not have seen Charlie in Cleveland". As a Bengal fan I'd love to face Whitehurst on Sunday

Field Gulls has a good roundup of what's going on and what to keep an eye on.

-- First off, TE Cameron Morrah was added to the 53-man roster on Sunday, bolstering a wafer thin tight end corps at the moment, with John Carlson on the I.R. and Zach Miller's status still up in the air. As it is now, Morrah may be the starting TE going forward if Anthony McCoy continues to drop passes going his way.

-- Safety/Defensive Back Chris Maragos was signed to the 53-man roster from the practice squad as well. He's a 5'10, 200 lb safety that has very good athleticism and speed. 4.47 40, 36-inch vertical, 3.98 short shuttle, 6.55 3-cone drill - those short shuttle and 3-cone drill times would have been the best for any position at the combine in 2010, had he been invited. He's been off and on the 49ers practice squad and active roster in the last year, and will likely be a special teams contributor first and foremost.

-- To make room on the roster, recently signed DT Jason Shirley and LB Stephen Franklin were both released.

-- Marshawn Lynch is battling a back issue. Pete Carroll noted, "Through the warm-up process, his back spasmed up on him. He couldn't get loose. He has had an ongoing something-or-other with his back since he arrived with us, but today it just came up right before game time, and he just couldn't get loose, couldn't get going."

-- Walter Thurmond has a cracked tibia, and his status for this season is up in the air. Originally, Pete Carroll said that it's likely his season is over, but in Pete's interview on Brock and Salk this morning, he said that the fracture is one that Thurmond could conceivably come back from in 4-5 weeks, if a sprain isn't also an issue. Expect more of an update on this in the coming days.

-- Per Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune, Tarvaris Jackson is pretty close to returning to action.

"Seattle starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson threw the ball pretty well during warm-ups before the game, but ultimately Carroll decided against putting his quarterback in on Sunday after not practicing most of the week. Carroll said there's a good chance that Jackson's played next week against Cincinnati at home.

"He threw the ball very well under the circumstances, but he's not 100 percent," Carroll said. "And he was going to have to say, ‘I can go. I can do it. I don't feel it.' And really give us a real positive on it. It's really up to him right now because he's the one that's feeling it. But we thought if he doesn't go today, that he'll have a chance to go next week. And if he did go, we didn't know what would happen.""

-- Kam Chancellor left the game yesterday briefly but returned, and appears to be fine, with just a bruised knee.

-- Max Unger and Zach Miller will be two injured players to keep an eye on this week. Their return is also up in the air.

-- Byron Maxwell might become more of a household name in the coming weeks. With Walter Thurmond and Marcus Trufant out for the foreseeable future, a shuffling at defensive back might happen. Kennard Cox was getting some playing time in nickel packages and didn't do much to impress in that role, including a botched tackle on a Colt McCoy scramble in the 2nd half that allowed him to pick up a key first down on a third and long.

-- Per Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune, Tarvaris Jackson is pretty close to returning to action.

"Seattle starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson threw the ball pretty well during warm-ups before the game, but ultimately Carroll decided against putting his quarterback in on Sunday after not practicing most of the week. Carroll said there's a good chance that Jackson's played next week against Cincinnati at home.

Boo!

Say what you want about the seahawks, but they are a different team at home, and there stadium is tough to play in. When was the last time the bengals went out there and won. Last time they were supposed to go out there and win, well they didnt. If this is a different Marvin coached team, then we should see them go out there and win. Not saying the bengals are much better then them, but this is one of those games where they should win.

Still want to see them run the ball, i would love to see a game where they can run the ball over 30 times, and let Andy only have to throw it like 20 times. I want to see them finally get this running game going.

Defense once again needs to show up, and im hoping not to see stupid blown coverages, or stupid missed tackles that have hurt this team. So if they are a top ranked defense, then lets see it, and lets see it continue to get better, because they will need them the rest of the year.

Still, I don't see the Bengals having a hard time with Seattle.

I do. This is the toughest game of the season thus far, in my opinion.

I dunno about that TDB. The game against the Niners was tough. I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk away with the NFC West.

The Bengals rarely play well on the west coat for some reason, so no matter how bad the Seahawks looked in their most recent game, this will be a tough win for the Bengals to come by if indeed they do pull it out.

I will not be surprised by a win by either team - on neutral ground I hand it to the lads in stripes, but in Seattle, it is far from a gimme. In fact - dare I say it - no, I will let Admiral Akbar say it for me

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0

I definitely think the 49ers are better than the Seahawks, as are the Bills. I just worry about the Bengals on the west coast, especially at Qwest Field.

It's now CenturyLink Field.

Yeah, yuck.

As for the game, a lot will depend on who the 'hags can actually get on the field. I'm more afraid of a healthy Jackson and Lynch than I am of all the drunk noisy fans.

FWIW the Bengals have opened as 2.5-point road favorites...

The Seahawks will bounce back from their game in Cleveland. They earlier beat the Giants in NY. Just goes to show you how the schedule can be deceiving. Cleveland got a suck Seattle team while we'll get their best. Last year's Seahawk team was not good either and they beat NO because of their home field advantage in the payoffs. Now I think that team with Hasselbeck was better but the home field advantage remains. I know. I've been to a couple of games there including last time the Bengals played there. IF Dalton wins this one then he is the real deal

I lost track of Benson's status -- will he be playing this week? Last I heard the league had agreed to a lower 1 game suspension but he was going to file an appeal that would postpone the actual punishment. But I don't remember hearing confirmation of this...

Benson is out on suspension this week, so it'll be the Scott & Leonard show.

A couple tidbits this a.m. out of Seattle:

CB Walter Thurmond (who was replacing the injured Marcus Trufant) underwent surgery on his broken leg and injured ankle and has been placed on IR. In his place the 'hags brought back Ron Parker, a UDFA who was with them in camp and has spent some time on the Seattle PS. It looks like the starting Seattle CBs will be Richard Sherman (a 5th round pick last April who played for Pete Carroll at USC) and Brandon Browner, who spent the last four years in the CFL.

TE Zach Miller (concussion) still hasn't been cleared to play but will undergo tests Wednesday to check his status.

maybe the run game will return from its vacation this week?

I was going to say that running the ball like mad + a stout D is our best chance at success, but looking at Seattle's pathetic CBs, you've got to wonder if Gruden will get a bit pass-happy this week.

Hey, if the fruit is there for the picking, fill the basket up. I'm getting more confidence in Dalton with each game.

Carroll said there's a good chance that Jackson's played next week against Cincinnati at home.

Boo!

Nothing set in stone yet...

Hard to think of anyone outside of Cleveland who felt good about it. But Whitehurst is still the backup, and he may be needed again this week since Carroll could offer no guarantee Jackson will be ready for Sunday's game.

"We're just going to start over again this week and see where it is," Carroll said. "We'll just take it one day at a time and see how it goes."

maybe the run game will return from its vacation this week?

I was going to say that running the ball like mad + a stout D is our best chance at success, but looking at Seattle's pathetic CBs, you've got to wonder if Gruden will get a bit pass-happy this week.

I'd run run run. build up a lead - eat up the clock. If we're behind then I'm sure we have plausible options airwise with Green & Simpson & Shipley.

But I'd like to see us build a lead and then defend it rather than chase the game. Lets put the pressure on Tavaris Jackson (or Whitehouse if his planets align to give him a shout on the pitch) and let them force the passes against our No.1 ranked D