Bengals - Jets game talk

kingwilly

Dalton showed some things at least...

Like What? Another 2 INT's ? Another game with 4.5 yards per attempt? a QB rating of 16.4 ?

What he showed was exactly what I've said since the day he was drafted.....He is not an NFL starter, yet everybody kept saying how "he was ready to start" and "He'll have a smooth transition" based on his college tape at TCU (lol) playing against sh*t schools......Again, this guy was a wasted pick and they should have spent that 2nd Rd pick on a guy like Daniel Thomas (RB) and just waited for next years crop of QB's (Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley)

Sta line after 2 games:

19/34 for 155 yards 0/3 TD/INT and a 4.5 yards per attemopt average

No kidding guys, this guy may very well set the record for worst yards per attempt average EVER......I mean, it has basically taken him 34 attepts to get 155 yds, so by that math, it would take him almost 70 ATTEMPTS to get a 300 yard game.............LMFAO :lmao:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well we improved on D and the o-line was much better. dalton once again started slow but settled down and looked ok.

daltons 3rd down pass to shipley inside the 5 was very nice to see. dalton saw something in the jets d and knew exactly where to go with the ball. all the w/r had a bad night. i counted atleast 5 drops in the 1st half.

there is really no depth on D that 99 yard drive terrible.

dalton needs the reps would have liked to see him start the 3rd q.

this team still has a long way to go but showed some positives in terrible weather. this is a very young team and improvment is all you can really expect. they did play better as a team this week.

the punter was gold stars player of the game, that can't happen any more. nuff said there!

bring on the panthers this ones over no sense in dewlling on this one like last weeks game.

Dalton showed some things at least...

Like What? Another 2 INT's ? Another game with 4.5 yards per attempt? a QB rating of 16.4 ?

What he showed was exactly what I've said since the day he was drafted.....He is not an NFL starter, yet everybody kept saying how "he was ready to start" and "He'll have a smooth transition" based on his college tape at TCU (lol) playing against sh*t schools......Again, this guy was a wasted pick and they should have spent that 2nd Rd pick on a guy like Daniel Thomas (RB) and just waited for next years crop of QB's (Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley)

Sta line after 2 games:

19/34 for 155 yards 0/3 TD/INT and a 4.5 yards per attemopt average

No kidding guys, this guy may very well set the record for worst yards per attempt average EVER......I mean, it has basically taken him 34 attepts to get 155 yds, so by that math, it would take him almost 70 ATTEMPTS to get a 300 yard game.............LMFAO :lmao:

yep 3 weeks and basically one game and he sucks. patients, and if andy don't work all those qb you mentioned are still very much in play.

What he showed was exactly what I've said since the day he was drafted.....He is not an NFL starter, yet everybody kept saying how "he was ready to start" and "He'll have a smooth transition" based on his college tape at TCU (lol) playing against sh*t schools

I don't think he's a wasted pick, but when April's optimism becomes August's reality, we see why teams don't bank on starting rookie QBs. It only works out if the team is basically stacked elsewhere, and 'stacked' is about the last word I'd use to describe the 2011 Bengals.

Here's to your health, Andy Dalton. May you finish the season able to walk.

Ok, another beat down. I'm still not worried about it and think things will look better when some of the other players get healthy.

That being said, how would any of you define "better" ?? From what I remember, there was only 1 or 2 guys here that thought the Bengals could win more than 6 games or dare I say, the playoffs. With that thought in mind, what do people think a 2-4 win season looks like when they watch ?? Does anyone expect Dalton to throw for 400 yards and lose ?? How about Benson rushing for a buck 50 in a loss ?? What if the defense only gives up 10 points and picks off 2 a game ?? Is that still a loss ?? No, it's not.

However, that's not what we are going to see week after week for the most part. A 2-4 win season is going to be full of crappy offensive output, poor defensive gameplans, and generally undisciplined play and coaching. Will there be flashes and bright spots ?? Sure, there might even be the occasional win (see 2-4) but that's what happens when there are so many young guys playing and at key spots.

I see it as inexperience as opposed to suck.

Is there some suck ?? Sure, but you get my point.

That being said, how would any of you define "better" ?? From what I remember, there was only 1 or 2 guys here that thought the Bengals could win more than 6 games or dare I say, the playoffs. With that thought in mind, what do people think a 2-4 win season looks like when they watch ?? Does anyone expect Dalton to throw for 400 yards and lose ?? How about Benson rushing for a buck 50 in a loss ??

Exactly!!!

Ok, another beat down. I'm still not worried about it and think things will look better when some of the other players get healthy.

That being said, how would any of you define "better" ?? From what I remember, there was only 1 or 2 guys here that thought the Bengals could win more than 6 games or dare I say, the playoffs. With that thought in mind, what do people think a 2-4 win season looks like when they watch ?? Does anyone expect Dalton to throw for 400 yards and lose ?? How about Benson rushing for a buck 50 in a loss ?? What if the defense only gives up 10 points and picks off 2 a game ?? Is that still a loss ?? No, it's not.

However, that's not what we are going to see week after week for the most part. A 2-4 win season is going to be full of crappy offensive output, poor defensive gameplans, and generally undisciplined play and coaching. Will there be flashes and bright spots ?? Sure, there might even be the occasional win (see 2-4) but that's what happens when there are so many young guys playing and at key spots.

I see it as inexperience as opposed to suck.

Is there some suck ?? Sure, but you get my point.

could not agree more.

I watched the game on NFL network last night. I have a totally different perspective. After all of those horrific mistakes it was 10-7. When Sanchez took them on a 99 yard drive, it was against the backups. Dalton stood in there against the blitz and zinged it into Shipley on 3rd down. AJ Green dropped a million passes which effected Dalton's percentage. Rey put on some hits that we have never seen from the MLB postion. There is plenty of upside. The media was drooling over Plaxico and they love to make fun of the Bengals. Dallas had 7 pts and I heard analysts say everything is fine. All is well people.

I watched the game on NFL network last night. I have a totally different perspective. After all of those horrific mistakes it was 10-7. When Sanchez took them on a 99 yard drive, it was against the backups. Dalton stood in there against the blitz and zinged it into Shipley on 3rd down. AJ Green dropped a million passes which effected Dalton's percentage. Rey put on some hits that we have never seen from the MLB postion. There is plenty of upside. The media was drooling over Plaxico and they love to make fun of the Bengals. Dallas had 7 pts and I heard analysts say everything is fine. All is well people.

Up until that 99 yard drive with 5 minutes to go (when the starters on defense came out), the Bengals had more yards than the Jets and had given up somewhere around 16 yards rushing. The Jets converted zero 3rd downs against the Bengals defense. Aside from giftwrapping the Jets 2 turnovers which led to 10 points, the Bengals first teams actually played better than the Jets first teams.

Let's see how they can improve against Carolina. This team is not the dumpster fire people are making it out to be.

I watched the game on NFL network last night. I have a totally different perspective.

Me too.

Dalton was much worse against the Jets than the Lions. Overthrew almost everything early, and caused Benson's fumble by holding the ball far too high. Still leading defenders to the ball with his eyes. In a word, lost.

This is going to take months before it gets better.

Me too.

Dalton was much worse against the Jets than the Lions. Overthrew almost everything early, and caused Benson's fumble by holding the ball far too high. Still leading defenders to the ball with his eyes. In a word, lost.

This is going to take months before it gets better.

So you didn't see the drops? The bullet to Shipley? When he escaped the pocket?

No, I saw those plays. But overall I didn't think Dalton was any better in the encore than he had been in his debut, and in some ways I thought he was much worse, including the things I noted. For example, on the fumbled handoff Dalton attempted to give Benson the ball at shoulder level. That's on Dalton.

Quite honestly, I'm trying my best not to bitch and I'm very aware this is the price that has to be paid when playing a rookie QB. I haven't given up on anybody and I'm not about to declare anyone a bust based upon what little I've seen.

But by the same token I didn't want to start a rookie and I still believe a mediocre talent like Gradkowski would make fewer mistakes than Dalton if their roles were immediately reversed. Furthermore, I think a veteran like Gradkowski is more capable of exploiting the talent the Bengals have at every skill position. Thus, I'd rather see the Bengals focus on getting Gradkowski up to speed now rather than Dalton.

But that's not happening, right? And maybe it shouldn't happen under the circumstances. But again, I didn't see the improvement in Dalton that so many of you are pointing to. Rather, all I saw was some pretty terrible QB play.

Just saying.

So you didn't see the drops? The bullet to Shipley? When he escaped the pocket?

No, I saw those plays. But overall I didn't think Dalton was any better in the encore than he had been in his debut, and in some ways I thought he was much worse, including the things I noted. For example, on the fumbled handoff Dalton attempted to give Benson the ball at shoulder level. That's on Dalton.

Quite honestly, I'm trying my best not to bitch and I'm very aware this is the price that has to be paid when playing a rookie QB. I haven't given up on anybody and I'm not about to declare anyone a bust based upon what little I've seen.

But by the same token I didn't want to start a rookie and I still believe a mediocre talent like Gradkowski would make fewer mistakes than Dalton if their roles were immediately reversed. Furthermore, I think a veteran like Gradkowski is more capable of exploiting the talent the Bengals have at every skill position. Thus, I'd rather see the Bengals focus on getting Gradkowski up to speed now rather than Dalton.

But that's not happening, right? And maybe it shouldn't happen under the circumstances. But again, I didn't see the improvement in Dalton that so many of you are pointing to. Rather, all I saw was some pretty terrible QB play.

Just saying.

Really because from what i saw Gradkoski looked worse then Dalton did, or just as bad. Sure his passes were not right on target, but they were close enough for the WR to catch them, and they didnt. I saw one int that was on him because of his pass being to high. What do we expect though, a rookie QB who has been on this team for 3 weeks, only played in 2 NFL games, the first time he played in crappy weather, not sure what everyone expected, but i wasnt expecting much. Its all about letting him get better, i thought he came back and had a really good drive, against the jets starters. I think the main thing is he needs to start fast, and not turn the ball over, the defense could have carried them pretty far in that game till the starters came out. I just want to see progress this week from last week and ill be happy.

What do we expect though, a rookie QB who has been on this team for 3 weeks, only played in 2 NFL games, the first time he played in crappy weather, not sure what everyone expected, but i wasnt expecting much.

I'm probably expecting less than most, which only serves to highlite the problem as....(cough)....even my modest expectations aren't being met.

I can't really say I'm overly discouraged because most of what we're seeing was predictable. In fact, I myself predicted some of what we're seeing. However, it almost feels like it will take this team a month or two just to reach square one, and yeah, despite my modest expectations that is disappointing.

What do we expect though, a rookie QB who has been on this team for 3 weeks, only played in 2 NFL games, the first time he played in crappy weather, not sure what everyone expected, but i wasnt expecting much.

I'm probably expecting less than most, which only serves to highlite the problem as....(cough)....even my modest expectations aren't being met.

I can't really say I'm overly discouraged because most of what we're seeing was predictable. In fact, I myself predicted some of what we're seeing. However, it almost feels like it will take this team a month or two just to reach square one, and yeah, despite my modest expectations that is disappointing.

If Dalton is as good as Marvin and Gruden say he is, then he will get better. Ill give the guy credit for one thing though, he dosnt get discourged. He sounds like a good leader out there, and i say him going to the line to make audible calls, or calls for protection, which i thought was pretty good. Im hoping we see some big steps for him this week, they are playing a team who is as bad as they are, so maybe he can gain alittle confindence out there, and start to move forward.

I have to wonder though if this team is just horrible, and start like 0-6 0-8, i wonder if Marvin will last the year, or maybe they will give Zimmer a chance to coach the rest of the year. All i know is im hoping for the best and Dalton improves and can be the QB of this team for the future.

Just saw the seahawks released Kentwan Balmer. Some folks on the board wanted to draft him. Is he Tank's replacement? hmmm.... I know nothing of his time in Seattle, so maybe he is simply not good?

Well, let's see, in three years in the league, he has 62 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 0 INTs and the word is he can't stop the run or rush the passer.

In other words, I expect him to be signed by Cincy before the week is out. :)

Just saw the seahawks released Kentwan Balmer. Some folks on the board wanted to draft him. Is he Tank's replacement? hmmm.... I know nothing of his time in Seattle, so maybe he is simply not good?

He's injured his knee twice since being drafted, so whatever he once was it's a fairly good bet he no longer is.

[pause]

But that's true of all of us, right?

((cough))

Finally got to watch the game

Good things:

The D played very well, only giving up the one long drive

The O moved the ball better than the first game

O-line improved on pass protection

Shipley looks ready to roll

Bad things:

Turnovers

Penalties

Soft coverage in the middle of the field

Hall got toasted again

Overall, I saw progression. It may trun into a decent season afterall.