Official Bengals Free Agent Thread

membengal

Per ESPN/Schefter, teams can talk to anyone starting this afternoon, can sign their own FAs this afternoon, and tomorrow, can sign anyone.

So...the Bengals are about to be on the clock with regard to Jonathan Joseph.

I guess we better start tracking Bengals FA doings in its own thread.

That's my vote anyway.

Happy football!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw an update that free agency start Friday at 6pm.

They can work with rookies and undrafted free agents right now.

They want to give teams some time to work on their own players and look into others.

So teams can negotiate with their own free agents now? Then the feeding frenzy starts Friday?

I think no FA contracts can be approved by the league til later in the week, but contact with free agents and negotiations and contracts pending league approval do not need to wait.

Its all about to begin. Given deliberate nature of Bengals front office, this really is going to be comical.

When can they cut players? I'm waiting for Chad to be shown the door. If he's on the roster this year I'll be convinced Mike Brown is without sense.

Don't be surprised if Chad sticks. Remember, Mikey picked up his option years ago, so from his vantage point he's already paid 85 for this season. Cutting him means throwing that $$$ away, plus it means opening up more cap room, so he would have to go out and spend more $$$ to make up for letting Chad go.

When can they cut players? I'm waiting for Chad to be shown the door. If he's on the roster this year I'll be convinced Mike Brown is without sense.

He's mentor material, COB. Somebody's gotta pass on the Ocho legacy to the next generation.

From everything i've seen and read, teams can start working their own free agents, trading players, getting rookies deal done, and undrafted free agents starting tomorrow. The big free agent frenzy where teams can go after other teams players will begin Friday night at 6pm. Unless someone has seen something contrary to that, that's where I think we are.

He's mentor material, COB. Somebody's gotta pass on the Ocho legacy to the next generation.

Don't listen to 'em, COB. There's still hope left that Mike Brown will only allow Chad a few more weeks to mentor the kids. Hope that Brown is simply waiting to see if the WR is rocked by a wave of early injuries, and that if not.....Brown will eventually demand the Ocho take a salary cut. A salary cut Brown knows Ocho won't accept.

It could STILL happen.

[wimper]

Adding to the Chad mix is the uncertainty of seeing the organization placing a priority on getting AJ Green in camp early on.

Mark my words, the Bengals front office will find a way to have a hold out even though the rules have made that happening MUCH less with the new CBA.

They will use the fact they still have Chad as a way to try and convince Green and his agent that they won't pay him that kind of money.

Don't listen to 'em, COB. There's still hope left that Mike Brown will only allow Chad a few more weeks to mentor the kids. Hope that Brown is simply waiting to see if the WR is rocked by a wave of early injuries, and that if not.....Brown will eventually demand the Ocho take a salary cut. A salary cut Brown knows Ocho won't accept.

It could STILL happen.

[wimper]

Is there a "prayer" smilie?

Army, it is indeed moving a LOT faster than the timeline you laid out. I think, as I said earlier, contracts cannot be approved by the NFL until Friday, but they can be agreed to between parties starting...today.

Or last night?

From Mike Freeman:

So this will not stun you but some teams began calling agents about their free agent clients on Sunday night, one agent tells me.

Once it seemed a collective bargaining agreement was close to being done, teams started calling agents around the sport, and began talking deals. No one was wasting time.

My agent source said teams are in full negotating mode now with agents. He believes -- shocker -- numerous deals are already done.

The agent also said something interesting that teams were informing agents which of their clients was going to get cut so teams stayed under the salary cap.

Just the beginning of what's going to be a wild week.

The game is afoot.

Franky, JJ could already be gone...

Here's what PFT has a hold of from the NFLPA:

Today, the NFL will publish a Free Agency List.

On Tuesday, team facilities will open for voluntary training, conditioning, and classroom instruction.

On Tuesday, trades can begin.

At 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, teams may sign drafted rookies, undrafted rookies, and negotiate with (but not sign) their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, exclusive-rights players, and franchise players.

Also, beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, teams may negotiate with, but not sign or give offer sheets to, other team’s unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, and franchise players.

At 4:01 p.m. ET on Thursday, teams may waive or terminate player contracts.

At 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, teams may renegotiate existing player contracts, sign their own unrestricted free agents, sign their own restricted free agents, and sign their franchise players.

Also at 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, teams may sign unrestricted free agents from other teams, restricted free agents from other teams, and franchise players from other teams.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

This is laughable:

Also, beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, teams may negotiate with, but not sign or give offer sheets to, other team’s unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, and franchise players.

Good luck enforcing that, NFL!

I agree Mem. I would bet a large portion of money that most teams have been in contact with agents for a while now (at least since the owners agreed) and this free agent period will be very quick. Sort of like how the Redskins had Haynesworth under contract 1 minute after free agency opened a coupld year back. Thing is, I can't see the league really caring or be willing to enforce this. I think the league will look at it as teams trying to make sure the product on the field is as good as it can be as early as it can be and turn a blind eye.

I don't think I could have ever envisioned a scenario that so perfectly will NOT suit the Bengals style of doing things as this FA set-up is going to. This will be glorious. Glorious. In a massive train wreck sorta way.

$20 Bengalszone $$$ (remember those?) says that JJoe is plucked away before the Bengals even know what's going on. Another $20 Bengalszone Bucks says they lose him because Mikey "thought" he had until Friday 6PM EST to decide, not realizing that other teams were already able to negotiate with him, and by then, it was too late.

Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. This CBA worked out perfectly for Chad. The Bengals now need to spend so much $$$ to get to the floor of the Cap, they need Chad's $6 million option to help them get close (especially with Carson's contract not counting).

So, basically you can look forward to them keeping Chad and other guys like Antwan Odom who have big contracts only because the Bengals are so far below the minimum.

Bloodbath in Baltimore. Per PFT, Ravens have told the following players that they're out:

RB Willis McGahee

TE Todd Heap

DT Kelly Gregg

WR Derrick Mason

HMMM wonder what Kelly Gregg still has left, i still think they need help stoping the run. He could be a decent situational player at times.....i know hes old LOL LOL