2nd Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Kirwan is projecting Dalton to Buffalo and Mallett to Cincy:

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f91e0e/article/day-2-mock-draft-dalton-mallett-go-in-first-three-picks

Vic Carucci is reporting via twitter that there's "increasing buzz" about Mallett this a.m. and someone may trade with the Pats to get him...as always, believe at your own risk.

In a perfect world they're both off the board when the Bengals pick.

And who ends up as our QB?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirwan is projecting Dalton to Buffalo and Mallett to Cincy:

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f91e0e/article/day-2-mock-draft-dalton-mallett-go-in-first-three-picks

Vic Carucci is reporting via twitter that there's "increasing buzz" about Mallett this a.m. and someone may trade with the Pats to get him...as always, believe at your own risk.

In a perfect world they're both off the board when the Bengals pick.

McElroy in the 5th is a WCO quarterback I would love and then when free agency kicks off, go get your one year stop gap starter.

Believe it or not, Orton wouldn't bother me in the least for a season.

I really think they go QB here, but would be overjoyed if they didn't.

A crappy veteran. Perhaps even Carson Palmer himself. But regardless of who eventually gets the nod I can't knowingly support the idea of overdrafting this years version of Tommy Maddox simply because the position demands a warm body to fill out the uniform.

Nutshelled, the consensus opinion is arguing that New England now finds itself sitting in the catbird seat and can auction off it's draft slot to any of the needy teams willing to reach for a QB. I say ignore the overheated overinflated auction and instead....make a selection from a list of the dozen or so players who are ranked higher than Dalton. As for Mallet, I'd consider drafting him only if he's still there in the 3rd....which I'm willing to bet he will be.

I would be willing to bet the remainder of the QB needy teams will snatch up Dalton, Mallett, and Kaepernick to start. I bet they go before half the 2nd round is out. If that is fact the case and we aren't one of the ones making that pick, I'm ok with it. I don't feel the need to take anything other than BPA sitting where we are.

If we take either of the top two QB's remaining, I won't really complain.

I find myself NOT wanting Paea.

Why not, oh master of the-theres-the-rub?

Two reasons, mostly. First, I consider Paea to be fit in a 3-4 scheme. If judged soley as a 4-3 prospect I'd guess he'd be ranked much lower. Second, I'm simply underwhelmed by the guy and don't think he's worthy of the pick even under the best circumstances....which don't include worries about his knee. In fact, I'd happily draft an injured Bruce Carter over Paea without giving it a second thought.

Memo from the Here We Go Again Dep't:

Mort's espn story on the bengals trying to trade with green bay now includes the following nugget:

Bengals owner and president Mike Brown has said he will not trade Palmer, but sources say he may consider it if the team secures a quarterback and gets a favorable trade offer.

FWIW neither Kiper nor McShay are prediction either Dalton or Mallett to go before the Bengals pick (of course they aren't predicting any trades).

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/40033/kiper-mcshay-mock-brooks-reed-to-pats

Report: Bengals targeting QB in the second round.

During a SportsCenter update with draft picks selecting early in the second round, ESPN's Bob Holtzman provided some insight into the Bengals second round plan kicking off Friday evening. The Bengals are targeting two players right now, TCU quarterback Andy Dalton and Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett. Dalton, Holtzman reports, is "Plan A" while Mallett is "Plan B".

"As for Plan C," Holtzman reports, "That's something the Bengals don't want to think about."

There is no way the Bengals pass up on a QB, as much as im not sure about these guys, the Bengals seem to be high on Dalton. If Gruden thinks hes his guy then so be it, he knows better then any of us.

Also said that the Bengals were talking to New England about a trade, so not sure whats going to happen there.

If they do draft Dalton then i wonder if they will draft Curly later on lol

Dalton :)

Mallett :unsure:

No, no, no, Mallett should be :crack:

So if Mallet is selected I guess you won't be making more stupid remarks about a draftee looking like a deer in headlights?

"Just look at the dripping blood and sparks shooting from his eyes! He looks like he's on heroin OR very excited to be a Bengal."

So if Mallet is selected I guess you won't be making more stupid remarks about a draftee looking like a deer in headlights?

Sorry, chumly, that wasn't me.

Sure it was.

Immediately after the pick you welcomed Green to Siberia and noted how subdued he was. But of course being subdued is just an example of Green being Green, and you'd already know that if you knew anything about the kid. Regardless, generaldreedle later asked if he was the only one who thought Green looked like a deer in headlights. You promptly chimed in saying it wasn't just him.

So yeah, it was you, chumly. You and the general, sharing an intimate moment that only the two of you can understand or explain. Sorta like two young schoolgirls experimenting with their own newly discovered budding sexuality.

I would have thought those of you who want them to deal Palmer to be happy with that above (er...previous page) blurb.

Indeed. MB has effectively given himself an out.

He's said all along that he has no intention of trading Palmer, because Palmer is central to the Bengals plans.

Now he's saying, if the right QB falls In our laps, the Palmer plans are moot... so I'd be willing to entertain offers, assuming proper compensation.

He's sticking to his "on my terms" ideas about a trade, without creating a buyers market for Palmer. More than that, he's keeping Palmer in his place by waiting to see how the draft falls out before entertaining a trade.

In other words... Palmer, we have no qualms replacing you with a rookie and watching you retire, unless there is an offer we can't refuse.