• Blaine Gabbert #4
    • Ryan Mallet 2nd Round
    • Andy Dalton 3rd Round

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Kaepernick ?? No Ponder ??

Well, to be fair, even when adding those two names to the poll, my answer would still be:

"NONE"

I agree. The problem in my mind is that NONE of these are worth a first round pick.

Ponder could be available in second round and that makes more sense.

I think we have had more success with later round QBs. Boomer and Kenny Anderson are the two who come to mind immediately.

First round reaches are notorious --- Akili Smith and David Klinger. Other first rounders just didn't quite make it -- Greg Cook (injury) and Carson Palmer (IMO no heart or drive).

Ponder or Kaepernick

...I can see gabbert falling,.. Really can,.. And i'd definately take him in the 2nd,.. See i love picking early

I'll tell you what. Here are the criteria I'm looking for in the next Bengals QB:

1) Good decision maker/Intelligent

2) Accurate passer

3) Durable

4) Calm in the face of pressure

There aren't many QBs that meet those qualifications in this draft... but one who does will likely be available in the 4th or 5th.

Greg McElroy.

I know he's not a great athlete, but if the Bengals are looking for a guy from a pro-style offense to manage the game in a run-heavy WC offense... he might be a hell of a bargain.

I still think if they want to win in anyway, they need to get a vet QB. I dont see any of these rookie QB ready to play yet this year. If they choose someone, they can learn under a vet. If so i would choose Ponder or Kaepernick somebody in the later rounds.

I'm with Derek in the fact if we are waiting until the 4th or later, might as well get the smartest QB, who comes from the pro style offense and is as accurate as can be. Oh yeah he also is use to be a winner and expects it everytime he steps on the field.

McElroy...

He may not have the biggest arm, but in a run heavy (if we are believing) WCO, he is most certainly a bargain late.

Couldn't agree more.

No Kaepernick ?? No Ponder ??

Well, to be fair, even when adding those two names to the poll, my answer would still be:

"NONE"

This poll hates me.

Yeah, screw all of 'em. If I have to pick, gimme Mallet.

I just can't get behind this pick if we were still running brat offense sure why not,but being were supposed to change vs more of the same so I just can't support mallet pick :|

I'll tell you what. Here are the criteria I'm looking for in the next Bengals QB:

2) Accurate passer

3) Durable

There aren't many QBs that meet those qualifications in this draft... but one who does will likely be available in the 4th or 5th.

Greg McElroy.

I know he's not a great athlete, but if the Bengals are looking for a guy from a pro-style offense to manage the game in a run-heavy WC offense... he might be a hell of a bargain.

Jake Locker would suffice. Guy was supposed to be in the Top 10 but he had a down year. He is a very good, mobile QB with a strong arm, that came form a Pro style offense, that can work the WCO qucikly.

2) Accurate passer

3) Durable

Greg McElroy.

Jake Locker would suffice. Guy was supposed to be in the Top 10 but he had a down year. He is a very good, mobile QB with a strong arm, that came form a Pro style offense, that can work the WCO qucikly.

Locker could suprise in this league, im not sure right away though. He can talk the talk, he is very good with the media so i think he is mature enough. Only thing is i dont know if he will be there in the 2nd round though, and i dont think he worth the #4 pick. Would they trade back into the first round for him, i doubt it

Sport Illustrated’s John Lopez wrote an article a little while back where he believed he had developed an accurate formula for determining what QBs will be successful in the NFL.

The formula involves only three criteria and he called it the 26-27-60 rule. 26 or better on the Wonderlic, 27 or more games played in college, and a completion percentage of 60% or better.

Put as much or as little stock in that as you want... but only 3 QBs in this draft meet that criteria. Ponder, Dalton, and McElroy.

I won't be the least bit surprised if McElroy ends up being the best of the three. What he lacks in physicality, he makes up for with through the roof intangibles. He has Tim Tebow like leadership skills, he scored a rumored 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic, and came from a pro style offense, where he was a terrific game manager, and almost never made mistakes.

The more I think about it, the more sold on the idea I become. Sign me up for McElroy at the top of the 4th.

Looking again at Greg McElroy you will find the following:

#4 with a passer rating of 169.0

#4 with a completion percentage of 70.9

Threw for 2,987 yards and 20 TDs.

He threw 313 times while only throwing 5 picks.

It is noted he doesn't have the big arm and can improve his footwork, but is a perfect fit in a run heavy west coast offense.

He's stupid smart, a noted leader of strong character, and has played with and through injuries.

I can't say as I would mind that in the 5th.

[

I'd support Locker in round 2,The guy is player just needs be refined but Still like kaepernicks upside :>

PS, Didn't Ryan Fitzpatrick pass the 26 27 60% rule?He's a free agent why don't we go after him if were after smart guy with a noodle for a arm...

Derek, those are really, REALLY interesting thoughts, and I will be subsribing to your newsletter.

For the first time in these discussions, I am persuaded that their may indeed be a qb I would be glad to see them grab. In the third or fourth.