Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

I think it would light a fire under Palmers a$$.

Can we use a less expensive match than the 1st or 2nd round pick you guys are considering?

I just doubt a QB picked 4th round or later would have the same effect.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why with all of the Tebow hate?

He's arguably the best college player in history. Great leader. Great instincts. Hell of an athlete.

He could be a receiver and he could end up being a solid QB.

Maybe I'm just one that looks at intangibles more than stats. I like the way the guy plays the game.

Let's see, average arm strenght with an awkward at best motion that takes forever to release the ball. That takes care of my concerns as a QB.

Average speed and will get blown the hell up in the NFL if he continues to try to run thru everybody that tries to tackle him, there is the running concerns.

The team needs a polished playmaker on offense, not someone learning a new spot, receiving concerns.

Intangibles are good, but actual succes in the NFL usually comes from talent, technique and work ethic. He seems to have 2 out of 3 here.

The last best college player of all time (Archie Griffin) did not really work out to well for the Bengals.

Stay away until at least the second round, draft a playmaker S, WR, D-lineman or O-lineman.

I agree with you there. The first round should be a WR, playmaker, etc.

BTW...Joe Montana had average arm strength, was slow as dirt, and was average in size. Not comparing in any way...just sayin'.

Can we use a less expensive match than the 1st or 2nd round pick you guys are considering?

I just doubt a QB picked 4th round or later would have the same effect.

Sorry, but I can't see using a 2nd round pick to send Carson Palmer a message.

That's what middle fingers are for.

Marty Gilyard anyone?

Gilyard is a good player, but he is not the kind of WR this team needs. The Bengals need physical WRs with size. The Bengals current WRs are smallish and slight and seem to get pushed around. Gilyard is very slight and looks frail. What we need is a big, imposing WR with physicality who can use his size and strength to gain separation,block, fight for contested balls (and hold on to the catch) and break tackles in the RAC. There are several such guys in this year's draft. My favorite is Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech. He is big and strong and explosive and plays a VERY physical game. He could very well be available when the Bengals pick in the 2d round. Another guy I have my eye on is Eric Decker of Minnesota. Decker would appear to be an ideal move-the-chains type of big possession receiver that TJ was for us. Two other guys I like are Carlton Mitchell of South Florida and Stephen Williams of Toledo. Mitchell has elite size (6'4",215), is very fast and excels in the deep passing game;he is a bit raw, but would provide good value at his 4th-5th round projection.Mitchell is also the only guy i know of with his size/speed ratio in this year's draft. Williams is a legit 6'5' and very athletic, with great leaping ability and very sure hands. I don't know how fast Williams can run the 40,but he certainly doesn't look slow at all on tape. He is currently being graded at around the 5th round. Another guy that is growing on me is Mike Williams of Syracuse:he is big, physical and athletic,has great hands and is expected to run the 40 in the 4.4 area.This guy's measurables compare very favorably with Dez Bryant, but is projected to go around rounds 3 or 4 because of his off-field issues, i.e., suspended for all of 2008 because of academic cheating and quit his team halfway through 2009 because of another impending suspension.There are other talented WRs in this draft, but these guys intrigue me. The Bengals are in dire need of WR help and, fortunately, this is shaping up to be a pretty good year for WRs. More to the point, there should be big, physical and talented guys available on each day of the draft.

This team has a few glaring needs, like WR, Safety and TE. The Bengals could also use a nickel corner,etc. QB, thankfully, is not a position of need. It wouldn't hurt to take a talented young developmental QB in the later rounds, but it seems crazy to talk about using a prime pick in a weak QB draft as some kind of implied threat against Palmer. This must be an emotional (not to mention,irrational) overreaction to Palmer's less than stellar games against the Jets.Here's an idea:let's blow up the draft, alienate Palmer, and then go into 2010 with happy high hopes of building on this past season's successes.

Marty Gilyard anyone?

Gilyard is a good player, but he is not the kind of WR this team needs. The Bengals need physical WRs with size. The Bengals current WRs are smallish and slight and seem to get pushed around. Gilyard is very slight and looks frail. What we need is a big, imposing WR with physicality who can use his size and strength to gain separation,block, fight for contested balls (and hold on to the catch) and break tackles in the RAC. There are several such guys in this year's draft. My favorite is Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech. He is big and strong and explosive and plays a VERY physical game. He could very well be available when the Bengals pick in the 2d round. Another guy I have my eye on is Eric Decker of Minnesota. Decker would appear to be an ideal move-the-chains type of big possession receiver that TJ was for us. Two other guys I like are Carlton Mitchell of South Florida and Stephen Williams of Toledo. Mitchell has elite size (6'4",215), is very fast and excels in the deep passing game;he is a bit raw, but would provide good value at his 4th-5th round projection.Mitchell is also the only guy i know of with his size/speed ratio in this year's draft. Williams is a legit 6'5' and very athletic, with great leaping ability and very sure hands. I don't know how fast Williams can run the 40,but he certainly doesn't look slow at all on tape. He is currently being graded at around the 5th round. Another guy that is growing on me is Mike Williams of Syracuse:he is big, physical and athletic,has great hands and is expected to run the 40 in the 4.4 area.This guy's measurables compare very favorably with Dez Bryant, but is projected to go around rounds 3 or 4 because of his off-field issues, i.e., suspended for all of 2008 because of academic cheating and quit his team halfway through 2009 because of another impending suspension.There are other talented WRs in this draft, but these guys intrigue me. The Bengals are in dire need of WR help and, fortunately, this is shaping up to be a pretty good year for WRs. More to the point, there should be big, physical and talented guys available on each day of the draft.

I could easily see Williams from Syracuse being Henry 2.0.

Get Denver to sign/trade Marshall for our r1.

Take a fast LB/DE in r2.

Take Williams in r3, if he is still there.

That would about do it for me.

Even if we did get Marshall, Dr.Brat would ruin him like he did to Coles

Bratkowski didn't ruin Coles. Coles is past his prime, has lost a step, has trouble getting open and does not have reliable hands. With the prospect of an uncapped year, the Bengals can cut him without any adverse salary cap hits. Besides, he doesn't have a huge contract.

This draft is looking to be one of the best in years. At 21, the Bengals have an excellent opportunity to select an elite talent that would also fill a big need. Some really blue chip players are bound to fall, maybe to 21. For instance, Taylor Mays looks like he may slide a bit. If the Bengals catch a break,they could end day 1 of the draft with a great player at a position of real need.Hoo haw.

funny how Taylor Mays has been dropping lately...

Wait and see how Taylor Mays skyrockets at the Combine.....LMFAO at him being ranked the #3 Safety....Ridiculous!

And here's to hoping his fall continues. I would encourage a full on smear campaign to assist !!!

I'm not thinking it will matter much, he's a freak.

Even if we did get Marshall, Dr.Brat would ruin him like he did to Coles

Bratkowski didn't ruin Coles. Coles is past his prime, has lost a step, has trouble getting open and does not have reliable hands. With the prospect of an uncapped year, the Bengals can cut him without any adverse salary cap hits. Besides, he doesn't have a huge contract.

Coles doesn't have a huge contract??????

He signed a 4-year $28 million Contract....$7 million a year isn't huge? What?

Wait and see how Taylor Mays skyrockets at the Combine.....LMFAO at him being ranked the #3 Safety....Ridiculous!

I think the Taylor Mays debate is going to be a love/hate kind of thing right up to the moment he's drafted. As for the combine itself, I expect some jaw dropping numbers, but I wonder if Mays might not find himself answering questions about whether he's outgrown his position, can he convert to LB, and how quickly could he do it.

I think the Taylor Mays debate is going to be a love/hate kind of thing right up to the moment he's drafted. As for the combine itself, I expect some jaw dropping numbers, but I wonder if Mays might not find himself answering questions about whether he's outgrown his position, can he convert to LB, and how quickly could he do it.

I think he can convert but will make a Caleb Miller type LB.

I think he should not switch to LB. He will fail at LB, as he does not have the teeth for the play-to-play violence that comes with playing LB.

Why with all of the Tebow hate?

He's arguably the best college player in history. Great leader. Great instincts. Hell of an athlete.

He could be a receiver and he could end up being a solid QB.

Maybe I'm just one that looks at intangibles more than stats. I like the way the guy plays the game.

Let's see, average arm strenght with an awkward at best motion that takes forever to release the ball. That takes care of my concerns as a QB.

Average speed and will get blown the hell up in the NFL if he continues to try to run thru everybody that tries to tackle him, there is the running concerns.

The team needs a polished playmaker on offense, not someone learning a new spot, receiving concerns.

Intangibles are good, but actual succes in the NFL usually comes from talent, technique and work ethic. He seems to have 2 out of 3 here.

The last best college player of all time (Archie Griffin) did not really work out to well for the Bengals.

Stay away until at least the second round, draft a playmaker S, WR, D-lineman or O-lineman.

I agree with you there. The first round should be a WR, playmaker, etc.

BTW...Joe Montana had average arm strength, was slow as dirt, and was average in size. Not comparing in any way...just sayin'.

A very good point.

I don't know why everyone is overlooking the most glaring need on this defense - the lack of any consistent pass rush.

We desperately need a playmaker on the perimeter...either at defensive end or outside LB. Don't care what it comes from, but we need someone on the edge who can make plays and get to the QB, and maybe command a double-team.

We improved this year, but all too often, QBs had way too much time to throw. Maybe Antwan Odom comes back and plays the same way, who knows. Hopefully Michael Johnson can develop.

But most top defenses have that feared player on the edge, someone like Freeney, Suggs, James Harrison, Merriman, Demarcus Ware. We need that type of player to take the next step on defense.

After that, a playmaking safety would be nice.

Offensively, it's obvious what we need - receivers who can make plays in the passing game - WRs and TEs. Maybe a G, but I think ou offensive line is fine. They were very good run blocking and gave Carson time to throw. And that's with a bunch of inexperienced guys playing in totally new positions. They should be even better next season. I don't see all the worry about the O-Line.

I don't know why everyone is overlooking the most glaring need on this defense - the lack of any consistent pass rush.

We desperately need a playmaker on the perimeter...either at defensive end or outside LB. Don't care what it comes from, but we need someone on the edge who can make plays and get to the QB, and maybe command a double-team.

Names please.

Lord knows a couple of months now you'll be crowing "I told ya so" no matter which player gets picked, but we may as well get you on record now.

;)

Just for giggles I found an old draft trade value chart to see how high the Bengals might go if they packaged picks.

Packaging their first two picks should move the Bengals up as high as the 13th slot.

Packaging the 1st and 3rd round picks should give the Bengals enough draft ammo to move into the 17th slot.

EDIT: Packaging the 2nd and 3rd round picks should be enough to move the Bengals from the 53rd slot (Est.) into the 36th or 37th slot.

I was thinking that with the 21st pick the Bengals should select "Kicker - Tim Tebow." That is right! Imagine him lining up to kick a field goal--you'll never know what he is going to do. Is it going to be a direct snap? Is the holder going to pass it to Tebow? A screen, perhaps? And in the clutch, he'll be more reliable than Golden Graham. Also, he will recover his own onside kicks.

Kicker Tebow with pick #21!

I expect big things from Michael Johnson, but I'd support a third round area DE anyways in case he struggles.

No thanks. We don't need another 3rd round caliber DE. We alrady have plenty of those. If we aren't going to ugrade from the guys we have, there's no point in taking one at all. You can only keep so many guys at that spot. It's either a big time playmaker (like a 1st round talent) or don't even bother.

I expect big things from Michael Johnson, but I'd support a third round area DE anyways in case he struggles.

No thanks. We don't need another 3rd round caliber DE. We alrady have plenty of those. If we aren't going to ugrade from the guys we have, there's no point in taking one at all. You can only keep so many guys at that spot. It's either a big time playmaker (like a 1st round talent) or don't even bother.

Surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with Joe. We need a pure passrusher. Most of the sacks we got last year were coverage sacks. We need some one on the front of the defense to disrupt things up there. Hopefully, Michael Johnson is that guy. Zimmer has talked about a full off-season for him and him adding weight, but as of now he's a nickel DE that we can only put in in obvious passing situations.

Having Odom back will help, but how healthy will his ankle be? On the other side, Geathers isn't getting it done. It's obvious 2006 was a fluke.