Cedric Bensons Carries

chrishcovga

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just saw that Larry Johnson is going to be released by the Chiefs. Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard are decent players, but Benson is on pace for 396 carries and we all know what happens to runningbacks the years after they carry for more than 375!!

No one's gonna' pay Larry Johnsons' salary, and he'll become a free agent, but SOMEBODY has to start getting more carries and effective carries or Bensons' going to be running on tired legs in December when we play 3 games of the four on the road!

The offense has looked far better, but Bensons' carries are too high, so a change of offensive philosophy has to happen to make a playoff run. We have 4 guaranteed wins coming up. Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Chiefs, that's 10 wins with another win out of the games against Vikings, Jets, Squeelers, and Chargers 11 Wins gets us into the playoffs and maybe the division.

* Either way, Benson is here for 2 years, and hard to see Mikey and company paying a 28 year old running back top dollar, so better start thinking about the backs in the '2010 draft.

The Bengals are fine at RB, besides, who are you going to cut to sign a RB?????????????

Making any kind of move at this point in the season would only come as a result of an injury.

This TEAM (note the word team capitalized) is playing very well together, they gel together, and they're really arent any headaches (Chad is NOT). This TEAM has good chemistry, and you dont mess with that by bringing in some bone-head who was never fast to begin with, and has seemed to lose his power.

Where have I even hinted at anything like that?

TJ asked why not rest certain players if we get a sizable lead in a game and you said something to the effect of Pittsburgh having an easier schedule than us the rest of the way.

But Pittsburgh does have an easier schedule than the Bengals. It's a fact. And it's also a fact that the Bengals haven't won anything of note yet, and are currently tied with the defending champions. So am I not correct for pointing out how narrow the Bengals margin for error truly is? Or should I pretend this thing is salted away already, and it's time to start worrying about resting the starters? (In week 9 no less.)

And while we're on the subject of pretending, let me remind you that ALL of the hand wringing arguments being made in favor of reducing Benson's workload are based in the future on unlikely scenarios involving star players being needlessly wounded in imaginary blowouts by an uncaring coaching staff.

Simply put, from soup to nuts and from the local steakhouse all the way to Mexico.....it's all crap.

So save the questions about what should be done if and when the team goes up on some poor oppsing team to the tune of a 35-3 4th quarter score, because under those circumstances we all make the same logical choice. However, in the games already played this season can you give me a single example where Benson was misused?

And if you can't....then what the hell are you whining about?

Brilliant !!!!!!!!

Speculating is what happens here, so I have no issue with the conversation.

Just today specualtion has taken place about Benson's carries, if he deserves player of the week, who replaces Henry, will Roy Williams play this weekend, will Andre make an impact this year, and are we the 2009 version of the 2008 Cardinals ??

The way I see it is, it's conversation about the team we all love that is currently sitting in first place half way through the season.

I fail to see why any of this is an issue and how in God's name this thread has reached 6 pages...

are we the 2009 version of the 2008 Cardinals ??

Absolutely not. When you give the Steelers concern about winning the division title, you're not gonna sneak up on anyone.

I don't really care for that thread in particular. I was just trying to give an example of all the speculation that has occured here today.

I just don't see why this specualtion has gotten so much sh*t heaped upon it.

I dont see why one form of speculation is labeled "empty" while all this other speculation ongoing is not labeled as such

Hell, the whole draft section is 90% speculation followed by 10% analysis of what happened

Fantasy Football - same thing

I think a fan site naturally gravitate sto speculation - whats gonna happen to my favorite team?

Every fan wants to know, every fan want so talk about it. I'm all for it, or I wouldn't be here.

I dont see why one form of speculation is labeled "empty" while all this other speculation ongoing is not labeled as such

Hell, the whole draft section is 90% speculation followed by 10% analysis of what happened

Fantasy Football - same thing

I think a fan site naturally gravitate sto speculation - whats gonna happen to my favorite team?

Every fan wants to know, every fan want so talk about it. I'm all for it, or I wouldn't be here.

Because if Mem and Hair don't like it, it's not legit, or worth discussing, correct? Or if you're not blowing sunshine up Mike Brown's bum, or speaking about how much fun 8-8 seasons are, then it's all "negative garbage."

Anyone who trusts Bengals' management to do the right thing for their players are fools, or not paying attention. Simply "resting him in practice" (while great) is not enough. It's the games where the wear and tear occurs. Every smart team in the league looking for consitent, long term success has as two running back system (or 3) these days. You have to do it - guys are too big and fast now to let one guy take all the abuse.

I am enjoying the hell out of this football season, and I don't want to see a collapse at the end again, like 2005. And I also really like Benson, but think he'd be more effective, as most backs, with 7-15 less carries per game.

Sarcasm aside, Mo Egger brought up a good reference to this, the "370 carry curse" (sorry if this was already posted here, somewhere)

"The 370-carry theory is generally summarized as follows: "A running back with 370 or more carries during the regular season will usually suffer either a major injury or loss of effectiveness the following year, unless he is named Eric Dickerson."

Football Outsiders - The 370 Carry Curse

On a related note, Benson was limited in practice today for "non-injury" reasons, so it does appear they are resting him ahead of the big game in Pittsburgh.

Lewis mentioned weeks ago the Bengals are limiting Benson's practice reps in exactly the same manner they did with Rudi, including keeping him off the field every Wednesday, and on Thursdays too if Benson or the trainers request additional rest.

And before anyone starts ranting about Rudi wearing down please take a breath and remind yourself how durability was Rudi's single greatest asset during his time in stripes.

So all speculation is the same? Please.

Face it, this hand wringing rant is exactly that. It's nothing more than a group of fans sharing their newest worries over something they're not only in no position to judge, but can't accurately be predicted by any means. Because none of you know when Benson will begin to wear down or if an increased workload brings a greater chance of injury.

Give me a break, Shula. Opining that panty-bunching over what might happen should the Bengals ever get a large fourth quarter lead and have healthy backs behind Benson doesn't mean that anyone is defending Mike Brown. Straw, meet man, and it gets old.

At no point on this thread, have you, or anyone, pointed to where the Bengals' current usage of Benson to date in 2009 has been wrongful on a game by game decision basis. In fact, as I pointed out, the one game where his usage was backed off (Houston), people complained.

I would imagine, moving forward, with Leonard back to healthy, and Scott now with some experience, they will get more carries, particularly if this team gets a large late lead. But prior to now? Given how close the games have been, against tough opponents, where fumbles would be killers, I have no issues with them riding Benson heavy. And unless you or someone can point to where the carries given to him were precisely a bad idea, I do indeed reject this kind of pre-worrying out of hand as being an ugly trait of parts of this fanbase. It goes along these lines:

Oh noes, it's the Bengals! Something is gonna go wrong!

That just gets f**kin' old.

I don't have a problem with the carries right now

Nor does Cedric. In fact he seems to relish every chance he has to run the ball. He's tough a nails, and I say keep feeding him the goddam rock! :bengal:

That's what we'll need at Heinz this Sunday!

16 carries against the F'ing world champs is a season low. He better pick it up in picksburg!