Sick Bengals???

georgeoberer

The story in my morning paper claimed the NFL has a contingency plan should a team be faced with this many cases of illness on gameday. No details were given.

Really?

I'm pretty curious what the league would do if four hours prior to gametime a team called and said they had a dozen players so sick they couldn't play.

The story in my morning paper claimed the NFL has a contingency plan should a team be faced with this many cases of illness on gameday. No details were given.

Really?

I'm pretty curious what the league would do if four hours prior to gametime a team called and said they had a dozen players so sick they couldn't play.

The contingency plan is the NFL will give up to 6 roster exemptions for players with the swine flu. Meaning they can use guys off of their practice squads in the games if they need to without having to release them and resign them.

Supposedly a dozen Browns players are sick. If the team can show that at least 6 of them are H1N1 related then the team will get to use players from the practice squad for the game on Sunday.

And come on, Bengals players don't get sick! They just have season ending or career ending injuries!

The contingency plan is the NFL will give up to 6 roster exemptions for players with the swine flu. Meaning they can use guys off of their practice squads in the games if they need to without having to release them and resign them.

I think the max number of exemptions is actually 8, but yeah, that's the plan.

I think the max number of exemptions is actually 8, but yeah, that's the plan.

I just read it again this morning. 6 players have to have "confirmed" cases of the swine flu before the contingency plan kicks in and there's a max of 8 exceptions they can use.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/23/clearing-up-the-swine-flu-policy/

Here you go...

Some of you were a little confused by the recent item regarding the league's policy regarding swine flu.

So let's see if we can confuse you some more.

Recently, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Associated Press that, in order to utilize roster exemptions, "If a club has at least six players unable to participate as the result of confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu, it can receive roster exemptions for those players and promote players from its own practice squad to replace them. A club can receive a max of 8 such exemptions. They must be medically confirmed cases of swine flu."

The inconsistency arises from the reference to "confirmed or suspected" cases of swine flu, with the requirement that the cases of swine flu be "medically confirmed." Aiello provided us with further clarification on Thursday.

"The memo does say 'confirmed or suspected' to allow for a medical judgment in a scenario such as this," Aiello explained via e-mail. "You have 2-3 confirmed cases of swine flu early in the week. The test takes a couple of days to confirm. On Friday or Saturday, 3 or 4 more players have flu-like symptoms. At that point, we have to give our medical people the flexibility to recommend that the roster exemptions be given due to the likelihood that those players later in the week also have swine flu even though it has not been officially confirmed."

So, in other words, a case of swine flu can be "medically confirmed" even if it's only "suspected," as long as it's "suspected" by a doctor.

And we're hopeful that the doctors -- and the league -- will err on the side of providing teams with relief if there's a close question as to whether enough players have swine flu. With only practice-squad players available to replace members of the active roster who are stricken, it's not as if a team like the Browns will derive any unfair advantage from getting a handful of one-day roster exemptions.

FWIW, both Henry and Fanene missed practice due to "illness," per Hobs. Chad didn't practice due to a "tight hip."

Peko was full go this morning, though, and says his knee feels "great."

Roy W. still looks like he's out.

In Chicago DT Tommie Harris was in sweats on the sideline. Looks like he's out Sunday.

FWIW, both Henry and Fanene missed practice due to "illness," per Hobs. Chad didn't practice due to a "tight hip."

Peko was full go this morning, though, and says his knee feels "great."

Roy W. still looks like he's out.

In Chicago DT Tommie Harris was in sweats on the sideline. Looks like he's out Sunday.

I don't like Willimas being out. Both games he's missed the defense has lacked intensity.

What's really going on with Williams is his forearm is hurt.

I know that, i mean i wonder if it is worse then what they thought. Usually guys will just wrap something on it and play, but he is sitting out. Since thats the forearm he broke last year im just wondering if and when he will return.

What's really going on with Williams is his forearm is hurt.

I know that, i mean i wonder if it is worse then what they thought. Usually guys will just wrap something on it and play, but he is sitting out. Since thats the forearm he broke last year im just wondering if and when he will return.

Probably because they feel comfertable enough with Ndukwe that they don't need to rush him and risk breaking his arm...vs letting him rest & and having him available later / playoff time...Ndukwe doesn't lay the wood like Roy does but imo isn't reason we loss.

Just a guess, but I'd say Roy Williams' forearm is broken. No other "forearm" injury would keep him out this long. Or they could be stretching the definition of forearm and he hurt his shoulder or something.

He's the 2009 version of Louis Oliver, if you ask me, but it's a different secondary when Roy's not in there. This defense needs a playmaking S almost as bad as it needs a pass-catching TE.

Why are we still carrying Dan Skuta on the roster, when the LBs are relatively healthy and guys like Matt Schobel are roaming the NFL streets? Schobel is clearly not to be confused with Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, but at least he can catch the football and should catch on to the system in decent time, having played under Brat before.