Mike Brown a genius for not having a bubble...

mgi

The University of Cincinnati all but handed Mike Brown an indoor facility for an estimated cost to the Bengals of around 1 million dollars.

If you're wondering where they money ended up going, it went the same place that the money saved by cutting Rudi, Willie, and Deltha went.

The University of Cincinnati all but handed Mike Brown an indoor facility for an estimated cost to the Bengals of around 1 million dollars.

If you're wondering where they money ended up going, it went the same place that the money saved by cutting Rudi, Willie, and Deltha went.

Do you have a better idea on how to fund the GM bonus program?????

I never quite understood why a northern climate team would want an indoor practice facility, the biggest home field advantage I have ever seen came in the freezer bowl game against San Diego. Practice in crappy weather and play better in crappy weather.

Maybe it is not a joking matter, but the Cowboys practice bubble collapsed.

Nobody here will want to admit it, but t's just more evidence of a practice bubble being the last place you want to be in severe weather.

Meanwhile. the massive structure that is PBS won't collapse in high winds or become damaged from bursting pipes during extreme cold, and if it loses power for any reason the players can still practice....being outdoors and all that.

Meanwhile. the massive structure that is PBS won't collapse in high winds or become damaged from bursting pipes during extreme cold, and if it loses power for any reason the players can still practice....being outdoors and all that.

uh huh. i bet the QBs will have loads of fun, throwing in 64mph winds...

Nobody here will want to admit it, but t's just more evidence of a practice bubble being the last place you want to be in severe weather.

Perhaps not, but other practice structures have held up to severe weather. There's suggestion now that poor design and/or construction played a role. The company that built the Dallas bubble has already been sued over a building they designed collapsing in Philly two years ago.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...de.2d010fa.html

I've never been one to go on and on about having an indoor bubble for the team. While I understand there are some things that may benefit from having one, I don't see it being the "be all and end all" of this team. It's bad enough the team already gets the "soft" label, but not getting them ready in the conditions it will surely face along the banks of the Ohio during the winter is a mistake.

It reminds me of the Freezer Bowl (which I was at) when Dan Fouts was being interviewed after the game and making the comment about how the Bengals were use to playing in those conditions. The wind conditions which produced the -59 wind chill, were said to be gusting about 35-40mph. With all of that, Kenny Andersen was still able to throw perfect spirals during the game.

Now I will admit Kenny Andersen was just the man and should be in the Hall of Fame (different thread), it goes to show that them practicing in those conditions was the difference maker in that game hands down. The Chargers just didn't have an answer and the Bengals went to the Super Bowl.

I don't care if they get a bubble or not, can see both sides of the argument, but we play outside. That's all I'm saying...

I never quite understood why a northern climate team would want an indoor practice facility, the biggest home field advantage I have ever seen came in the freezer bowl game against San Diego. Practice in crappy weather and play better in crappy weather.

What if they play the Colts, Saints, or Rams that week, for example? :huh:

You're saying practicing all week in the freezing cold to prepare for a dome game makes the Bengals better prepared for the dome game than the team that practiced all week in a dome?

Clue us all in on this rationale, please.... <_<

(or were you just embracing the vague "players should be tougher" cheapass Brown excuse?)

I've never been one to go on and on about having an indoor bubble for the team. While I understand there are some things that may benefit from having one, I don't see it being the "be all and end all" of this team.

Agreed. The list of self-handicaps Mike Brown places on his franchise for pesonal profit is a long one. But this one makes the list, that's for sure.

It's bad enough the team already gets the "soft" label, but not getting them ready in the conditions it will surely face along the banks of the Ohio during the winter is a mistake.

Here it comes... the foundation of the misguided reasoning behind not needing an indoor practice facility, in 5...4...3...2...1...

It reminds me of the Freezer Bowl (which I was at) when Dan Fouts was being interviewed after the game and making the comment about how the Bengals were use to playing in those conditions. The wind conditions which produced the -59 wind chill, were said to be gusting about 35-40mph. With all of that, Kenny Andersen was still able to throw perfect spirals during the game.

Now I will admit Kenny Andersen was just the man and should be in the Hall of Fame (different thread), it goes to show that them practicing in those conditions was the difference maker in that game hands down. The Chargers just didn't have an answer and the Bengals went to the Super Bowl.

You practice outside to prepare for an outdoor game. You practice inside to prepare for a dome game, or if the weather is dangerous outside (lightning, etc).

I don't care if they get a bubble or not, can see both sides of the argument, but we play outside. That's all I'm saying...

Except when we play inside. (Colts, Rams, Lions, Saints, etc) And except when Marvin has to call practice because of lightning.

You people want to look at it like its a black or white situation. Either practice inside or out. I'm saying an indoor facility just adds another resource, enabling you to do both. And I'm saying the freezer bowl excuse for not having one is s**te, and would only fool the fanbase of a Pete Rose Freezer Bowl town like Cincinnati.

I'm sorry but it's true.

bearcats75 - There are just some folks here who are not going to let go of their old school, cheap skate siding with Brown on this one, no matter how much the painfully blatant logic of it slaps them in the face.

The Bengals' are the only cold weather team that DOESN'T have one, and coincidentally they're the worst franchise in terms of playoff appearances in the last 18 years, with only one winning season in all that time. They can't simulate crowd noise well, they can't have sharp, productive practices as often as other teams do when it's nasty out (and Cincy can be as extreme as any). Players get hurt here more so than others it seems etc..,

The game has changed since the 70's and 80's, it's more specialized now, focused on speed and the passing game. Players are in ridiculous shape year-round, it's different.

Brown has not changed much with the times and this is a perfect example of him putting his players at a disadvantage. It's why players want out of here first chance they get.

bearcats75 - There are just some folks here who are not going to let go of their old school, cheap skate siding with Brown on this one, no matter how much the painfully blatant logic of it slaps them in the face.

That's not fair to the misled fanbase. See, in Cincinnati, it is more important to see a team "hustle" then it is to see them win. This sentimentality of the fanbase is the misguided rationale behind not needing an indoor facility.

The Bengals' are the only cold weather team that DOESN'T have one, and coincidentally they're the worst franchise in terms of playoff appearances in the last 18 years, with only one winning season in all that time. They can't simulate crowd noise well, they can't have sharp, productive practices as often as other teams do when it's nasty out (and Cincy can be as extreme as any). Players get hurt here more so than others it seems etc..,

The game has changed since the 70's and 80's, it's more specialized now, focused on speed and the passing game. Players are in ridiculous shape year-round, it's different.

Brown has not changed much with the times and this is a perfect example of him putting his players at a disadvantage. It's why players want out of here first chance they get.

People always say we're the only cold weather team that doesn't have one. And this is true. But let me tell you how I think not having an indoor facility REALLY hurts the team:

When half the players pull hammys this August and September from dehydration from practicing in 90+ degree weather, to prepare for a dome game... THAT is the early season smack in the face.

Then later in the season, when half the players get the flu from practicing in a blizzard, to prepare to play a dome game... THAT is the late season smack in the face.

"In an league of unprecedented parity, Mike Brown continually finds new ways to handicap his own franchise for personal profit." This is the best answer to "Why do the Bengals always suck?" that I have come up with.

But I bristle every time I hear a good, but misguided fan say "we don't need an indoor facility because players are too soft nowadays" or whatever...

We need a bubble:

1. So even in the off-season players can workout and stay sharp. Hard to do in the pouring rain.

2. We can show it off to potential free-agents who probably don't want to practice outdoors in inclement weather.

3. So we can house all the Brown family scouts in it. Then a tornado sent by God collapses it onto all our scouts who then have to retire early, and we get all new scouts.

4. So after the collpase some insurance company won't pay off due to act of God or whatever, then Mike completely rapes them in the courtroom to the tune of like a 20 million dollar verdict. End result - financial pressure is off, Mike can pay large signing bonuses and hire some better looking cheerleaders.

Build that Bubble!

I get the argument of playing a game in a dome versus outside and that is fine. THAT would be part of my argument when I say either way suits me fine and that I don't really care. Seriously, I don't. It has nothing to do with siding with Mike Brown and his cheap skate ways, but if that is how you want to view a fanbase, then that is your opinion. I'll just call you wrong. My opinion of the bubble has everything to do with the team, not the owner. That has to come with everyone that hasn't accepted the fact that we aren't going to change the owner of the team, but feel like b*tching about it endlessly. The Freezer Bowl wasn't an excuse rather a single example that allowed the team to go to the Super Bowl that year.

Why fans blame other fans for things that happen with the organization is beyond me. No one on this board makes desicions with the team that I'm aware of, so I don't blame them. Yet, some are bashed for an opinon that they disagree with and then label them as cheap skates. What the f*ck ever...

I will say the argument to be able to prepare for the upcoming game being outside or in a dome is the best point I've heard made here.

With that point, I will agree...

I get the argument of playing a game in a dome versus outside and that is fine. THAT would be part of my argument when I say either way suits me fine and that I don't really care. Seriously, I don't. It has nothing to do with siding with Mike Brown and his cheap skate ways, but if that is how you want to view a fanbase, then that is your opinion. I'll just call you wrong. My opinion of the bubble has everything to do with the team, not the owner. That has to come with everyone that hasn't accepted the fact that we aren't going to change the owner of the team, but feel like b*tching about it endlessly. The Freezer Bowl wasn't an excuse rather a single example that allowed the team to go to the Super Bowl that year.

Why fans blame other fans for things that happen with the organization is beyond me. No one on this board makes desicions with the team that I'm aware of, so I don't blame them. Yet, some are bashed for an opinon that they disagree with and then label them as cheap skates. What the f*ck ever...

I will say the argument to be able to prepare for the upcoming game being outside or in a dome is the best point I've heard made here.

I'm not blaming the fanbase. Just explaining why a certain sect of the Bengal fanbase doesn't have a problem with the Bengals not having an indoor facility, for those who either aren't from the area or for those who never put 2 and 2 together here.

I don't "bitch about the owner" either. But I'll point out why the Bengals and Mike Brown continually fail though. No indoor facility is one of the reasons that the Bengals continually fail, for example.

Is the the main reason? No. Is it the fans' fault? No again. But is it on the long list of Mike Brown self-handicaps to the detriment of the Bengals? Abso-f'n-lutely.

I'm not blaming the fanbase. Just explaining why a certain sect of the Bengal fanbase doesn't have a problem with the Bengals not having an indoor facility, for those who either aren't from the area or for those who never put 2 and 2 together here.

I don't "bitch about the owner" either. But I'll point out why the Bengals and Mike Brown continually fail though. No indoor facility is one of the reasons that the Bengals continually fail, for example.

Is the the main reason? No. Is it the fans' fault? No again. But is it on the long list of Mike Brown self-handicaps to the detriment of the Bengals? Abso-f'n-lutely.

The only parts of my post that were directed to you were, the Freezer Bowl wasn't an excuse as opposed to an example and that you made a very good point about being able to prepare for the upcoming game being inside or outside. You made good points and gave valid reasons. To that I say, good job...

The Mike Brown list of failures is long to say the least and I'm sure there are many that can go on and on endlessly when speaking on the subject. My point is, why ?? It's been done and done again. For those that can't write more than a sentence without bringing that up, I have news for you, IT WON'T CHANGE. Even when the day comes that Mike Brown is no longer walking the earth, IT WON'T CHANGE. Why ?? One name for you, KATIE.

I just don't see the point anymore unless banging ones head against the wall is fun...

Let's think of the issue of having a practice bubble in these terms:

If you are in a competition to build a house, and all the other competitiors have a full set of tools, hammer, nails, nailgun, screws, screwdriver, saws of many varieties, etc. and the foreman on your job says they cannot afford to give you a level, how straight do you think the walls, floor, roofline, etc will be.

The foreman goes to argue it is not the "cost" of the level that is the issue, it is the principle. A good construction team should be able to "eyeball" the straight-ness or level-ness of any wall, floor or roof. Working under those expectations, the construction team should strive to find a natrual striaght-ness, level-ness and overall symmetry. The team is better for it, and it should serve them well in their work to show they afford the extra time and energy to assure things "look" correct, whether they are, in fact, straight or level.

Well, SoP is the foreman here, and he is depriving the "team" of a "tool" that all the other "teams" have: a practice bubble.

The question really is not "What is the cost of providing the bubble (or risks, as it were)?" but "What is the cost of not providing the practice bubble?"

The cost is deprivating of a group of professional athletes a critical tool in the building of a Championship "house".

Why stop here? Why not just get some loose river rocks and fill the weight room with a dump truck load? Why provide machines or iron weights at all? Why spend money on a fancy digital film system? Heck, force the player to watch blurry VHS tapes of game...sharpen their memory as they reminisce the past weeks' game! It will do them good!

The simple fact that this is a stickling issue should be clear indication that SoP simply refuses to provide this team with a full complement of tools so that they are on even footing with other teams.

Perhaps not, but other practice structures have held up to severe weather.

No doubt, but this is at least the 3rd collapse/partial collapse of a so-called bubble that I'm personally aware of in the last two years, and I might find more if I bothered to Google it. And in regards to the earlier point about QB's being forced to practice in 64-mph winds....the bubble that just collapsed was only considered safe for occupancy in winds up to 70 mph. In truly extreme weather a "bubble" is the last place anyone would want to be.

The question really is not "What is the cost of providing the bubble (or risks, as it were)?" but "What is the cost of not providing the practice bubble?"

The cost is deprivating of a group of professional athletes a critical tool in the building of a Championship "house".

Blah, blah, blah. You're all making a case for building an indoor practice facility based upon Mike Brown needing to prove how much he cares...(He loves us!)...by spending millions of dollars in a pointless gesture that not only isn't needed, but most assuredly won't change anyones perception.

Well good luck with that.

Blah, blah, blah. You're all making a case for building an indoor practice facility based upon Mike Brown needing to prove how much he cares...(He loves us!)...by spending millions of dollars in a pointless gesture that not only isn't needed, but most assuredly won't change anyones perception.

Are you this dense on purpose? Has to be... no one this IQ side of Forrest Gump could be that dense.

I've already outlined the benefits reaped from an indoor facility, regardless of climate. And it has NOTHING to do with "perception" or proving that he cares.

The indoor facility is a tool that helps teams better prepare. Not having one hurts you with free agents. Scroll back and read the other valid reasons, I'm not retyping them.

Seriously...you must just be arguing for the sake of arguing. Oh, and it's not "millions of dollars" either. Last I read, UC's pitch was for the Bengals to share their facility at a cost of 1 million dollars.

"we'll get back to you," was Mike Brown's response.

I'll tell you this, UC will get their practice bubble. The Bengals won't. And the Bearcats will make the postseason. The Bengals won't. Some teams find a way. Other teams find a way to make excuses.

"blahblahblah" sounds more like you to me though...