Bengals @ Browns Game Thread

HoosierCat

hmmm, that long term contract thing...yeah, about that, seems we need to wait and see how your knee rehab goes....also, let me introduce you to our medical staff, Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Jeckyll.

Exactly.

I dislike it when players make it clear they don't want to be here, and I like it less when we throw franchise-level money at such players, so I am not exactly heartbroken that "Franchise" Andrews is finally off the field

Good luck getting that big contract in Philly to play with your big bro now, Stacey!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good day indeed! Squealers lose, Clowns lose, Bengals win their 2nd straight...I'm living in a dream world my friends. :)

errr......uhm......

TJ *taps Billy on his shoulder*

TJ *Billy looks up quizzically*

TJ *TJ points to the daily scoreboard, directly at the Cardinals game final tally*

BB *Billy turns to TJ and says "bite me".* :P

TJ *asks Billy what the margin of loss record is for the Cardinals organization*

TJ *reminds Billy he'll always be there to provide the grey lining in every silver cloud*

Nutzpatrick with a whooping 55 yards passing today !!!

Yeah, well, "Nutz" also had his second-best day ever, at least by QB rating. He was 110.9 today. Only his big comeback with the Rams against Houston was better, 117.4.

So...nuts? I suppose General Anthony McAuliffe might agree... ;)

Get off Fitzpatrick ?? Are you guys serious ?? Nutz completed 5 freaking passes today and at least one of those was the screen to Johnson that HE made the great play to pick up the first down. Outside of the toss to Henry, what ?? He does well running and I will give him that, but NO I won't get off his back. You can't even call him solid unless 3 wins (maybe 4) is considered solid over the course of the season.

Even when the Steelers play that type of game, Rottenfurburger will still toss about 25 passes...

I got to watch the dvr version of the game tonight, and what I saw from Cleveland shocked me. They have absolutely quit on Crennel. I'm not taking anything away from the Bengals, who showed up to play. But to see our o-line kick the crap out of their d-line was amazing. Benson cut back all day and they never bothered to worry about their gaps. Another thing they never bothered to worry about was the ruels. The number of stupid untimely penalties was freakish.

What it showed me again is that if you put yourself in position to allow pro athletes to take advantage of you, they will. Or in Crennel's case, if your owner puts you in a position to be taken advantage of.

Remember the offseason? Savage was a bold genius. Now? Shutout by the lowly Bengals, and his job in the balance.

I know it's just the bounce, but it is good to see our guys refuse to quit on the season.

Get off Fitzpatrick ?? Are you guys serious ??

Yeah, we are.

No one is talking about Fitz as a starter but as a backup he is fine. Did you see Dorsey today? You don't think it could be worse, think again.

Did he throw 4 picks today? Did he scramble for a key first? Did he throw a TD pass? Did he have a 110+ QB rating today?

We have starting QBs in the 90s who won fewer game than he already has.

Get off Fitzpatrick ?? Are you guys serious ??

Yeah, we are.

No one is talking about Fitz as a starter but as a backup he is fine. Did you see Dorsey today? You don't think it could be worse, think again.

Did he throw 4 picks today? Did he scramble for a key first? Did he throw a TD pass? Did he have a 110+ QB rating today?

We have starting QBs in the 90s who won fewer game than he already has.

ok, I see you point as to Mr. Fitz and his one good game but he threw 9 passes for an offense that had one 1st down and 1 3rd down conversion in the second half. He has managed the games in a progreesively improving way, so I give him that but he is not the quality QB needed to get through another stretch without Palmer. He is just not good enough.

To your point about Dorsey, he is the 3rd stringer. The Browns had lost Quinn (1st rounder) and Anderson (debatable Pro Bowler) before he took the field. The Browns are in a worst case scenario.

We need a better back-up than Fitz so that should Palmer go down again, it does not mean the end of the season, all other issues with this sorry excuse for a team not-withstanding.

We need a better back-up than Fitz so that should Palmer go down again, it does not mean the end of the season, all other issues with this sorry excuse for a team not-withstanding.

Well, I'd argue that a better backup wasn't going to help us this year. If Carson Palmer couldn't win with this team, nobody in the talent range between him and Fitz was going to help.

But if you want to dump Fitz, fine. Now what? Sign another journeyman? Maybe he's better, maybe not. Sign a quality or semi-quality aging vet or washout (Derek Anderson, anyone?). Well, good luck. That was the problem that led to the drafting of Rowe: no one who thought they were any good was willing to come sit behind Carson. If they'd even consider coming to Cincy at all. Spend another mid-round pick on a QB prospect? Can we afford to spend a pick on the position with all our other needs? And if we do, what history do the Bengals have of developing QBs? Heck, this team hasn't been able to develop first round QBs in years past. Is Jordan Palmer the answer? No one knows. But that he's here pretty much because no one else wanted him doesn't strike me as a good sign.

All the options the Bengals have at backup QB, including keeping Fitz, are at best mixed. Keeping Fitz strikes me as the least bad right now, though the benefits of hanging on to him decrease in direct proportion to the amount of demolition done to the offense in the offseason.

I'd argue that had we provided good OL play this year, in turn leading to a good running game as well, Fitz's production would have been good. Even with Ocho Droppo on the field.

He did about as well as any QB could under the circumstances he was placed in, imho.

I'd like to see him re-signed.

I doubt the bargain-hunting Son-of-a-Genius will see it the same way. He'll offer peanuts, lose Fitz, and sign Ken Dorsey (or a his equivalent) for less then peanuts

He did about as well as any QB could under the circumstances he was placed in, imho.

I'll argue the Bengals paid a steep price for doing almost NOTHING in previous seasons to get Fitpatrick ready to play. It took weeks before Fitzpatrick looked comfortable running simple plays, still more weeks before he flashed any timing, and still more weeks before he seemed capable of reading a defense or progressing beyond his first throwing option. In fact, even now Fitzpatrick seems incapable of running the offense from the pocket in the manner it was designed, and most of his success is still due to his ability as a rabbit-like run first QB.

I'd like to see him re-signed.

Mixed feelings from this chair. I hate the idea of losing a backup QB who is finally capable of running the offense at a modest level of competence, and IMHO Fitzpatrick's running ability makes him a near perfect short-term solution for situations where a backup QB is expected to play no more than a week or two at a time. But as a potential starter, as all backups must be judged at least partially, Fitzpatrick is at best the type of player who could serve as a stop-gap until the next real starting option comes along.

I doubt the bargain-hunting Son-of-a-Genius will see it the same way. He'll offer peanuts, lose Fitz, and sign Ken Dorsey (or a his equivalent) for less then peanuts

I think the so-called Son-of-aGenius will offer a fair contract. The real question is if Fitpatrick's audition will net him the chance to compete for the starting position he's openly talked about for at least three years. FWIW, I'm guessing it won't and in a marriage of perfect convenience the two sides agree to settle for each other.

The steep price was paid because in Cincinnati, unlike other clubs, backup QBs get few if any snaps in game-week practices

Regarding his early comfort level - keep in mind the quality......er lack thereof.....of line play early in the season. Abyssmal. Hard to get too comfortable behind that, no? In any case, our tiny silver lining in the massive grey cloud of this season is that we now have a qb playing competently in Carson's place. It would be wise to get some payout on that investment rather than letting it walk.

That said, SoaG rarely makes the wise football decision unless it just happens to coincide with what maximizes his profits

I'd argue that had we provided good OL play this year, in turn leading to a good running game as well.

Please provide any sort of stat, trend or factual information to back up this assertion TJ. How has the running game been good this year?

I would argue just the opposite, and note it as thee biggest problem with this team, from Carson's injury problems every year, to the pathetic running game the last two seasons, leading to the team's decline since '05.

the Bengals' inability to manage, coach, develop and upgrade or provide good depth for the o-line has been it's biggest flaw.

And yet Mr. Alexander continues to keep his job.

My fear is that a game like yesterday may keep him employed here.

When in reality the offense scored all of one TD all day, again, and when you run the ball over 40 times a game, you should have 130+ yards rushing against a bad team any ways.

I would by no means want this same group of o-lineman back next year, at the very least Alexander, Guy-chick, Andrews and Levi should all be shown the door.

The steep price was paid because in Cincinnati, unlike other clubs, backup QBs get few if any snaps in game-week practices...

Yeah, and I bitched about that, didn't I? In fact, I bitched about it before it became painfully obvious to everyone, right? But again, the price has now been paid and the experience Fitzpatrick has gained is now a positive I'd hate to lose.

Regarding his early comfort level - keep in mind the quality......er lack thereof.....of line play early in the season. Abyssmal. Hard to get too comfortable behind that, no?

No argument. However, Fitzpatrick has to be judged on his own merits as much as possible, and I'll argue it's a pretty mixed bag even now. So much so that I can't bring myself to consider keeping him a priority or such a no-brainer that he shouldn't be allowed to leave under many realistic scenarios. That said, under the right circumstances and the right price he's somebody you'd love to keep so the deciding factor is likely to center on the types of FA offers Fitzpatrick generates, if any.

It would be wise to get some payout on that investment rather than letting it walk.

Well, isn't THIS the payout on the teams original investment in Fitzpatrick? Isn't this the worst-case scenario we not only hoped we wouldn't see, but in fact is the only scenario that could have resulted in Fitzpatrick playing at all? Regardless, I'd say it is and the question going forward is how valuable is Fitzpatrick to the Bengals now that they've leaned what he can and cannot do.