2nd Round: Jerome Simpson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My lord, did I just defend this pick? :-) No,not the pick....the player

Yeah, you did..lol. We are on the same page here. He could very well be a stud. But, are they so certain that they would pass up a quality player, at a major area of need, when there is a great chance he would still be there in the third anyway? It's all about value. I am quite sure SOP is familiar with that term...

I say 'so far so good'. At #9, they got the a guy that meets organizational needs AND will make the defense better. Their second round pick was reasonably going to be receiver given the 2 immature wideouts that they have had to deal with in different ways. They surely had their list of receivers. And if they liked what they saw in Simpson (obviously they did) and had the impression that at least one other team showed some level of late 2nd/early 3rd round interest, then they took the guy they wanted. Did they reach? Who knows on draft day? It's like this stupid draft day grading garbage. Heck, any idiot on this board (even myself!) could take the 'experts' opinions and easily pick the next guy. They didn't do that ... and I would argue that the good teams rarely do. If that was the guideline that worked then Kiper would be employed by some team by now. They may or may not have reached with the 2nd pick. They may have grabbed a useless guy in round 1 for that matter. Get back to me in a year before grading really matters. As someone else mentioned, there was a draft in the not-so-distant past that almost everyone thought was terrific ... but we all know that ended in near disaster with 1 guy retired, 1 guy released, and another guy 1 small infraction from forced retirement himself!

I am fine with things so far ... nothing stupid on the level of a Rucker. Beyond that, I have to trust these guys and wait a year to properly judge. We haven't even seen these guys step on a professional stadium field yet!

Coaches say he is closer to 6'2" than to 6'1" and they say is IS 200 lbs. Same size as our other two starting WRs TJ and Chad.

Listening to the bengals press conference about him and all his qualities, he seems to be the total package - great athlete, amazing jumping ability, long arms and the biggest hands in the draft. Makes great acrobatic and one-handed catches with ease, can really go get the ball, has deep speed. They say he is extremely tough as well.

The comments by the guy on the NFL Network were very physical, and explosive deep threat.

Sounds like the bengal coaches REALLY researched him and know exactly how good he is. They see great WRs in practice every day like Chad Johnson, so they have a good comparsion by which to judge this guy watching him in drills and workouts. He could be an outstanding player without the attitude of Chad.

I think we still need another young WR to go with him though - like when we took Chad in the 2nd round a few yars back and then took TJ later on.

Coaches say he is closer to 6'2" than to 6'1" and they say is IS 200 lbs. Same size as our other two starting WRs TJ and Chad.

Listening to the bengals press conference about him and all his qualities, he seems to be the total package - great athlete, amazing jumping ability, long arms and the biggest hands in the draft. Makes great acrobatic and one-handed catches with ease, can really go get the ball, has deep speed. They say he is extremely tough as well.

The comments by the guy on the NFL Network were very physical, and explosive deep threat.

Sounds like the bengal coaches REALLY researched him and know exactly how good he is. They see great WRs in practice every day like Chad Johnson, so they have a good comparsion by which to judge this guy watching him in drills and workouts. He could be an outstanding player without the attitude of Chad.

I think we still need another young WR to go with him though - like when we took Chad in the 2nd round a few yars back and then took TJ later on.

Joe - as shocked as I am that I am defending this pick, which I maintain was still poor value for reasons already stated - I am even more shocked by this post of yours. This was well written and on the money. You may have to surrender your "dumbest guy on bengalszone" crown back to agreen after all. I'm serious.....good post. Keep it up.

Oh - and yes, he is 6 feet 1 and one half inches - so by standard rounding rules, some places list him as 6'2" I just say - he's a taller WR, not a Warrick or a Chatman

Joe - as shocked as I am that I am defending this pick, which I maintain was still poor value for reasons already stated - I am even more shocked by this post of yours. This was well written and on the money. You may have to surrender your "dumbest guy on bengalszone" crown back to agreen after all. I'm serious.....good post. Keep it up.

I'm as shocked as you are T.J.

Good post Joe.

Well, this is kind of disturbing:

Jerome Simpson Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Randall Weida's 4/25 Mock Draft Round 3: #19

Eddie Griffin's 4/25 Mock Draft Not selected

Forrest N. Long's 4/24 Mock Draft Not selected

Joel Welser's 4/24 Mock Draft Not selected

Don Anderson's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Dustin Claussen's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Raul Colon's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Thomas Scott's 4/22 Mock Draft Not selected

Ricky Dimon's 4/18 Mock Draft Not selected

Position: WR

School & Year/Status: Costal Carolina - Senior

Height & Weight: 6'1 - 190 lbs.

NFL Combine Results

40-Yard Dash 4.47

Vertical jump 32

Broad jump 11.04

See All Combine Results

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report

Simpson started all of Costal Carolina's eleven games during his true freshman campaign in 2004, recording 26 receptions for 419 yards. He also scored eight TDs. For his effort, Simpson was voted Big South Freshman of the Year. He then started six of eleven games in 2005. Nevertheless, his numbers improved from the last season. He made 33 receptions for 527 yards, while scoring nine TDs. In 2006, he went on to start ten of twelve games, recording a career high 61 catches for 1,077 yards and 16 TDs. For his effort, Simpson was named to the Big South First Team as well as the Second Teal All American squads. Simpson started all of Carolina's eleven games as a senior while catching 41 balls for 697 yards. He also added 11 touchdowns.

Simpson has one of the biggest set of hands in this year's wide receiver class. He used them well, catching anything a QB can throw at him. He has good, although not great, playing speed (4.40-40). Simpson's leaping ability set him apart from other small school prospects. But he is rail-thin and tends to shy away from contact, not liking to block. His route running needs more coaching and he has a questionable desire for the game. Simpson's speed is more of the straight line variety than a football one and he's not even an explosive playmaker.

Simpson is a very intriguing prospect. He does have the hands to play catch with anyone. But, his speed, which had scouts worried before the Combine, became an asset afterwards. Nevertheless, he lacks true game changing speed. He should have dominated last year and did not. His desire is a concern as is his tiny frame. He needs to add more strength and fast. Once projected as a late rounder (maybe sixth or seventh), he is now hovering between the fourth and fifth round. Although, he could develop into a solid complementary NFL receiver.

Last Updated Mar-28-2008 by Raul Colon

So, you reach a couple rounds for a skinny guy that hates football??????

hates football....whu? please.

his vertical was like 41-42 inches, and scouts had him clocked sub 4.4.

you can't teach speed but you can add muscle.

also, I trust even the dimmest of B-zoners than I would anyone form FFToolbox....the emphasis there is on "tool".

I'm as shocked as you are T.J.

Good post Joe.

I'll third that. tip o' the ole draft day hat.

Good measurables but the NFL.com combine video of him, makes him look terrible!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jerome-simpson?id=318

Check out the game video, not the underwear-ball video :-)

Not to beat a dead horse (but I will) I thought this was a better look at him... FWIW

I've looked the last few hours, btu I haven't seen anything like that PFtoolbox article below. :shrug:

Come On Arman Shields Wr, Richmond...... Well if we like drafting small school gems so much, why not this guy, hands like T.J. - similiar size to Chad ???

:sure:

Sensing a little sarcasm here CC....but yeah, we need to draft 2 WRs.

Then again, Marvin always seem to draft three of them

While I hate the pick, I think it's a sort of peace offering to Chad. Simpson is a Henry replacement, not a Chad replacement. And there were guys on the board who could have been seen as a Chad replacement. Laws would have been better, but if this in any way calms Chad down (probably not but maybe) okay.

I dvr'd the draft after I saw the Bengals take Rivers. So I just get home, put the kids to bed, then start running the recording at high speed from our 1st round pick. I'm just watching who each team picked, expecting to see Laws get snatched. I get to our pick, he's still on the board, I'm happy as hell.

Then of course we pick a WR, one I've never heard of. But after reading about him, I like the player, just can't believe they would ignore DT.

The only explanation for this is our new DC must feel that we're going to get really good play from 'backers who weren't around much or at all last year, and that with that good play from Brooks, Thurman, and Rivers, a ton of pressure is going to get taken off the defensive line.

I'll tell you who the happiest person with our first day picks is - Domato Peko. He's got to be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Sensing a little sarcasm here CC....but yeah, we need to draft 2 WRs.

Then again, Marvin always seem to draft three of them

While I hate the pick, I think it's a sort of peace offering to Chad. Simpson is a Henry replacement, not a Chad replacement. And there were guys on the board who could have been seen as a Chad replacement. Laws would have been better, but if this in any way calms Chad down (probably not but maybe) okay.

huh? how can this be a peace offering? I think we are viewing Simpson as a Cheech replacement because if CJ sits then the chart moves TJ into 1, Chatman/Gabriel/Holt into 2 and Simpson into a default 3...

I see Simpson as a CJ replacement and hopefully Chad will see it that way as well (though he won't). To think who this team picks would calm CJ down or inflame him further is kind of silly. It is more silly to think they would draft to placate CJ.

...Laws would have been a safer pick but both would have addressed a clear need.

I'm thinking more along the lines of John Thornton...they're happy with Peko,and he comes cheap.

JT is not cheap.

This team could take two DT's tomorrow and JT will be cut as of June 1.

That would be very good news. :)

Simpson is an interesting prospect. Simpson was moving up the boards of severalteams and he was the highest

value receiver on the Bengals board. i do not know if his value on the board was truly higher than Laws (must have been

knowing that Marvin and company always say thy take the highest player on their baord). He may very well (and I hope)

make many people regret the trashin of the pick.

As far as DT goes, there are many good ones left including Pat Sims, Marcus Harrison (I believe he is likely off the Bengals board), Dre Moore, Red Bryant, Frank Okam, DeMario Pressley, Ayyba Rubin, and Andre Fluellen. All had graded in many publication with 2-4 round grades, With the 77th oveall pick one on more will likely be there. I believe we will see the Bengals go DT followed by running back in Rd 3 (Charles, Choice, Smith, or Slaton) . However, if Doucet or Manningham is available late in the 3rd, I could see another WR taken.

Who - Dey

He sounds like a good player. But how can we overlook one of the worst defenses in the league? The O will be fine if we can get rid of psycho.

All this pick means is more 31-17 loses.

We have to stop the run!!!!!!!! Who going to do it????????? Thorton? Peko? Frucker? Brooks? A rookie LB?

This D STINKS!! It has more to do with lack of talent than poor coaching.

There is no talent on this D!!! Is any of them going to the Pro-Bowl next year? NO WAY.

You dont get better on D by continuing to ignore it.

I want a Defense!!! Maybe Jerome can play DT with those huge hands of his.