2nd Round: Jerome Simpson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the lovefest with Trevor Laws? I don't think he'd improve our defense one bit. He's no better than John Thornton. He's just another one of those DTs that we some can't believe we pass on in round 2 (Antaj Hawthorne, Randy Starks, etc) who turn out to be mediocre backup players. Yo can get guys like that, or even better, in the later rounds.

What is the lovefest with Trevor Laws? I don't think he'd improve our defense one bit. He's no better than John Thornton. He's just another one of those DTs that we some can't believe we pass on in round 2 (Antaj Hawthorne, Randy Starks, etc) who turn out to be mediocre backup players. Yo can get guys like that, or even better, in the later rounds.

You are comparing a smart, high-motor Laws to a lackluster pot smoking Hawthorne? Not even close!

What is the lovefest with Trevor Laws? I don't think he'd improve our defense one bit.

Go watch the Senior Bowl

Go watch some Notre Dame games. They were awful as a team, but see if you can spot 1-2 good players

Finally, go see what you can find out about his character

and then splash some water on your face, wake up, and remember that it is a moot subject - he's already been drafted - and move onto another subject

huh? how can this be a peace offering? I think we are viewing Simpson as a Cheech replacement

Exactly.

so, what ou are saying is that CJ will see the pick the phone to Drew and say something like this: "see, they aint replacing me, they are replacing Cheech....Drew, you a fool, tell them its all good, since they went with that Simpson kid instead of someone who could take MY spot. Damn, they sure know how to make a brother feel wanted -- needed. I should call Marv'right now and see if he wants to do lunch at MickeyD's. We got stuff to work out. Yeah, my spot is safe and this is how they show me the love I need. I don't need money or even a real chance to win, I just need to be appreciated and picking Simpson shows me that, in a weird and yet indeterminable way."

Yep. I'd buy that for a dollar.

huh? how can this be a peace offering? I think we are viewing Simpson as a Cheech replacement

Exactly.

so, what ou are saying

That they could have picked a guy who wold have been seen as a replacement for Chad, not Henry.

Is now the time to say what ability he has? For all we know he may be better than Chad. All things considered, especially with Palmer flinging the ball to him, he just might be. :bengal:

If the Bengals didn't think Simpson projects as a very good starting caliber player in the very near future they would not have drafted him in the 2nd round. There are plenty of WRs you can get later if you are just lookng for a #3. Whether Chad is here or not, you need a starter. Chad and TJ are 30 or very close to it, and you constantly have to be brining in new offensive talent for Carson to play with.

Exactly.

so, what ou are saying

That they could have picked a guy who wold have been seen as a replacement for Chad, not Henry.

Is now the time to say what ability he has?

It's the only time we have, right? If you have a magic crystal ball, please, I could use the next Powerball numbers. In the meantime, we spent a second round pick to replace Henry.

If we were going to pick a WR, I'm glad it's Simpson. I'm really excited about him.

HOWEVER...

You don't pass up the need for a DT there, in my opinion.

Exactly.

so, what ou are saying

Is now the time to say what ability he has?

It's the only time we have, right? If you have a magic crystal ball, please, I could use the next Powerball numbers. In the meantime, we spent a second round pick to replace Henry.

in a strictly linear sense, yes, simpson is there to fill the spot Henry abandoned the privelage of having, as CJ is still a Bengal. Once either Simpson can play like Chad can, or Chad is no longer a Bengal, I suppose it is a bit premature to annoint Simpson as a CJ replacement. The open spot is the 3 and it should be Simpson's to win.

Bratkowski's comments on Simpson:

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski:

"There are things about him that are rare. Granted, he does come from a small school, but when you look at the smaller schools, you look for productivty. He had the productivity of 44 touchdowns. Then you look at the measurables. At the combine, he had the longest long jump of anyone at the combine, he had the longest arms and the biggest hands at the combine. His speed and jumps were at the upper level of the receivers. So you say he's a workout wonder, well, he's not a workout wonder because of his productivity. There's always the difference, you look at the productivity of some guys who are workout wonders and they don't match. His matches."

This player is a physical specimen, and he holds a ton of promise. I'll take him.

After getting here late and reading this thread... All I can say is WOW.

Reasoned, rational thoughts from both TJ and Joe Pong.

I'm stunned!

Speechless!!

I think that one thing has been missed here. This pick sends a loud and clear message to princess chad.

If you want to be a punk, be a punk.

Sit your dumb ass out. We'll keep the money and move on without all of your girlish drama.

I, for one, like it. I hope they bleed that punk-ass corksoaker dry.

I think that one thing has been missed here. This pick sends a loud and clear message to princess chad.

If you want to be a punk, be a punk.

Sit your dumb ass out. We'll keep the money and move on without all of your girlish drama.

I, for one, like it. I hope they bleed that punk-ass corksoaker dry.

You are not alone here with this theme of bitch slapping Chad. I'm with you.

MAKE HIM HONOR HIS WORD, OR EAT S**T!

I'll tell you who the happiest person with our first day picks is - Domato Peko. He's got to be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

I'm thinking more along the lines of John Thornton...they're happy with Peko, and he comes cheap, and is young.

JT is neither cheap nor young.

I never even thought of John Thornton. In guess I assumed he wasn't coming back no matter what. My thinking was Peko is the best DT on the team now. If we draft Ellis, Peko is second, and maybe a distant second. And I heard an interview on Sirius a few weeks ago in which Peko openly lobbied the team not to take a stud DT. He said he could handle it, and when asked what if the team wants to play a 3-4, he said go ahead and put me in the middle, with Odell behind me I'll do a great job in there for the Bengals.

Maybe our new DC has been evaluating Peko and agrees with him.

While I hate the pick, I think it's a sort of peace offering to Chad. Simpson is a Henry replacement, not a Chad replacement. And there were guys on the board who could have been seen as a Chad replacement.

I don't see the peace offering angle, but I agree Simpson was drafted to be Henry's immediate replacement. How he developes after a year or two will dictate if he ever rises above the ranks of 3rd option but he does possess the tools needed to push for a bigger role in time. Like others have said...you can't teach speed...or size...and a combination of both can be deadly. Besides, even before te Bengals "shocked the world" it isn't like the pre-draft WR rankings were holding up. (Donnie Avery)

Besides, even before the Bengals "shocked the world" it isn't like the pre-draft WR rankings were holding up. (Donnie Avery)

Exactly. And that's why I simply do not put myself into the category of folks wanting to get all bent out of shape over this pick. Anyone looking at this year's class of receivers could easily see that this group is simply not at the level many groups have been over the years. I am one who came in feeling the receivers were very, very similar ... and nothing particularly special. Was I aware of Simpson? No. But having read and watched much at this point, I can easily see how a team could elevate him ON POTENTIAL ALONE to the level of the others in this year's group. Could they have gotten him in round 3 or 4? Who knows? I simply don't play that game in this instance. If they felt he *might* (or even LIKELY would) be there in round 3, but wanted him as the Henry replacement, then they made the decision that he was their guy and they didn't want to take that chance. The easy decision is to take the guy (i.e. Sweed) that everyone knows pretty much his talent, potential, and ceiling. The tough decision is to see this guy's potential as very high and take him over the others. Time will tell ... but for now I like the guts.

If we were going to pick a WR, I'm glad it's Simpson. I'm really excited about him.

HOWEVER...

You don't pass up the need for a DT there, in my opinion.

I agree -- Trevor Laws was available.

I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that if the Bengals didn't take a DT early, they had managed to get Larry Tripplett (sp?).

Well they had better have signed a DT -- because we need that pressure/ force up the middle -- NOW!.

There's no question DT is a need. That said, if you look at some of the guys that will hopefully be there in the 3rd round, they have the same potential (or more) than Laws, in my opinion. They aren't at his level yet, and will need more coaching, but the physical gifts are undoubtedly there.

Perhaps, they couldn't say the same thing at the WR position. Simpson does seem to be one of a kind as far as his physical skills are concerned.

Skyline we said the same thing when we lost out on Ellis, that oh there are a couple DT's left. Then what happened, we took a WR.

I think Rivers will be good, but without guys able to take some of the blockers most of his talent will be wasted. I Tivo-ed all of the bigger games and it was apparent that even our depleted LB corp never had a chance bc they were getting a pulling guard or takle on them in the third step.

They have plenty of later round picks, they need to ensure that they get up and get one of the higher DT's on their board. I dont care which just someone.

The tough decision is to see this guy's potential as very high and take him over the others. Time will tell ... but for now I like the guts.

If the Bengals' "guts" had any history of paying off, I might have more faith. But their draft history says that when they make picks that look like reaches...they usually are...and they all too rarely work out. Hopefully Simpson will be good, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The guy is good but, In the 2nd? he was rated at the very bottom of the 3 top of the 4th.

The very least they should have done is trade down and pick up a few picks.

He is GREEN and may be a couple of years away.

There is also the fact that they passed on Limas Sweed (a 2nd RND WR) one of the best if not the best WR in the draft and let the Steelers get him -when they took a 4th rnd WR in the 2nd without trading down and getting picks.

Bad move, nice WR they could have picked up in the 4th.