Biggest (maybe only) concern after 3 weeks

derekshank

Does anything worry you guys about these wins? Some people are concerned about the turnovers, saying we can't keep it up. We didn't really need all those turnovers to beat the Browns, Vikings and Bears though. If it's an anomaly, who cares, we are still better than most teams.

Others are worried about our run defense, and after a full week of discussing the illegitimacy of that argument, the Bengals proved that there is little to worry about on that front yesterday against the Bears.

What concerns me are the penalties. We had a number of penalties (at least 3) that occured on 3rd down, forcing us into a 3rd and long situation against a good Bears defense. All of these resulted in punts... usually 3-and-outs.

On defense we had penalties that extended the other teams drives. We gave the Bears a lot of free yards on their only trip to the endzone. I'm as happy as anyone about this team, and in fact, you have to look really hard to find things to criticize here... and I'm not trying to do that. But after being the most penalized team in the NFL last week, and then watching several stupid penalties this week, I have to wonder if we would have won had we been playing the Steelers of Patriots.

My guess is probably not. Thankfully we have a few weeks to fix this before we face the Steelers... but I'll be watching that Texas game for penalties, because it is the only thing that concerns me at this point. I'd hate to have our biggest weakness be stupidity, allowing penalties to keep us out of the superbowl. We won't beat the really good teams with these kinds of mistakes.

Does anything worry you guys about these wins? Some people are concerned about the turnovers, saying we can't keep it up. We didn't really need all those turnovers to beat the Browns, Vikings and Bears though. If it's an anomaly, who cares, we are still better than most teams.

Others are worried about our run defense, and after a full week of discussing the illegitimacy of that argument, the Bengals proved that there is little to worry about on that front yesterday against the Bears.

What concerns me are the penalties. We had a number of penalties (at least 3) that occured on 3rd down, forcing us into a 3rd and long situation against a good Bears defense. All of these resulted in punts... usually 3-and-outs.

On defense we had penalties that extended the other teams drives. We gave the Bears a lot of free yards on their only trip to the endzone. I'm as happy as anyone about this team, and in fact, you have to look really hard to find things to criticize here... and I'm not trying to do that. But after being the most penalized team in the NFL last week, and then watching several stupid penalties this week, I have to wonder if we would have won had we been playing the Steelers of Patriots.

My guess is probably not. Thankfully we have a few weeks to fix this before we face the Steelers... but I'll be watching that Texas game for penalties, because it is the only thing that concerns me at this point. I'd hate to have our biggest weakness be stupidity, allowing penalties to keep us out of the superbowl. We won't beat the really good teams with these kinds of mistakes.

Well stated I had the same feeling yesterday the Bengals look like they can ball with anybody, but the amount and type of penalty's would kill them against NE or Pitt Or Indy

Yeah, and it's not just penalties, but penalties in crucial situations. TDs, 3rd down conversions, etc...

The Chad penalty that took away our TD was bunk, so I'll let that one slide. The others must stop now!

If you mean "bunk" in the sense that it was the easiest call all day, and a textbook case of WR holding, then you're correct.

Run defense remains my primary concern, despite a reasonably good showing this past week

The run defense did play pretty well, and I was pleased. Still, it was more incosistent that I would have liked. That can probably be credited to overpursuits by Odell, and when he's totally in the mold and has everything down pat... The run defense should be very good, very soon.