Rudi ,is he good enough

Spain

Thats exactly what Im thinking Joiseycat. So the real ? is will Rudi split time with Perry in the first half or will Perry play the majority of the first half? If this is so Rudi wont get the yards he got this year because he will have his carries cut.

The only thing that scares me about Rudi being used in this role is can he punch it in from the goal line consistently. When you look at great third qaurter clock sucking backs they can get that short yardage. ( Bettis ) While in IMHO Rudi does a prety good job at this. However he does not have the ideal size for this. I was wondering if JJ will ever get a shot at the short yardgage package.

Ok its fourth and goal, games on the line you need an inch who runs the ball. JJ or Rudi. I would go with JJ(when Skinny)IMHO

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with ArmyBengalFan (HUA!!!).

Rudi Johnson isn't Corey Dillon. Corey is a constant threat to break off a 60 yrd run if the O line handles their blocks. He has speed and quickness/shiftiness, which are great talents, but not necessary to be a great NFL RB. Rudi is more in the mold of Jerome Bettis. Bettis rarely, if ever, could be depended upon to run for a gain of more than 30 yds because he made some jackhole miss a tackle. The Steelers did alright for themselves with that type of running back. So will we...

Thats exactly what Im thinking Joiseycat. So the real ? is will Rudi split time with Perry in the first half or will Perry play the majority of the first half? If this is so Rudi wont get the yards he got this year because he will have his carries cut.

I haven't seen any indication that a Rudi/Perry combination would look much different than last season's Rudi/Watson pairing. Rudi will get the majority of snaps, with Perry spelling him, at least initially. If Perry starts flashing the way some (myself included) think he could, he may earn more time.

As for Jeremi Johnson, yes, I would expect him to get his share of action in short yardage situations.

The bottom line is that we seem to have plenty of options at RB/FB. If there are problems with this team come the fall, it's unlikely that this position will be one of them.

Rudi should be primed for a great year. I think he might get fewer carries than he did last year, but his yards per run should go up to around the 4.4/4.5 range. The O-line was banged up early last year, and it took awhile for them to really start to gel with run blocking and pass blocking last year. Plus Rudi was working under the one year contract. While a class act like Rudi would never admit to that affecting his play, or ever being a cocern last year, somewhere and to a great extent I think it did slow him down last year. At times he seemed a little tentative and wasn't finishing off his runs as well as he did the previous year especially early in the season imo. Now he has his contract and no matter what happens from here on out he should be finacially set for the rest of his life with some 10 million in guarunteed money (as long as he invests wisely and doesn't spend his money like a damn fool). The point being he can get back to focusing soley on the playing football and forget about the business side. In all I think Rudi will have a much better year this year than last year. I'm not sure it will show up in his rushing yards total. It should show up in the more important average yards per carry and short yardage conversion rate. If for some reason he gets as many carries as he did last year though, I wouldn't be suprised to seem him competing for the rushing title in the month of December.

No doubt Joisey that Perry replaces Watson but I'd be surprised if it's this year. As good a receiver as Perry is, Watson actually was a wide receiver at ND. Plus, IMO right now, Watson is the more skilled runner -- but that should change as Perry develops and at least assumes Watson's role in 2006 since Watson will be a UFA.

As for Rudi, he'll give us plenny of ops to chant this year. That 24 Power play w/ Steinbach pulling should get hims gobs of yards this year and pose a problem for the Ratbirds new 46 if Bengals can outrun backside pusuit.

Rudi looks inept at trying to catch on interior screens and stops over the middle w/ his back to defense but he can actually catch and do damage when he gets ball in flats on screen w/ body half-turned. IIRC the Bengals only threw the outside screen to him once last year -- vs Giants and it worked to near perfection for 15 or so yards.

The trio at RB is a great luxury, much like the crowd at WR is. It's all good.

The biggest reason people have anything at all negative to say about Rudi is that he doesn't get many long runs. No one much argues that he is a consistent and durable 7 yards guy.

Part of the reason is that 7 yards are about as far as you are going to get from your blocks up front. But remember that Rudi is number 1...I said #1 in yards after contact.

And even though we have great wide recivers, they are very week at downfield blocking (ever since we lost Warrick). Chad couldn't block a kicker, Housch isn't much better, I didn't see Kelly (Barbie's little sister) open up any holes, so if one our TE's isnt there or Jeremi has come that far without finding contact, then that's about what we're going to get with Rudi.

Is that good enough...for this offense, it's perfect. Having a guy who makes guys miss is great fun to watch, but Rudi is consistent and gets the job done...plus he's got a great attitude and not a bad blocker...lousy receiver, but that's waht we got Perry for.

No doubt Joisey that Perry replaces Watson but I'd be surprised if it's this year. As good a receiver as Perry is, Watson actually was a wide receiver at ND. Plus, IMO right now, Watson is the more skilled runner -- but that should change as Perry develops and at least assumes Watson's role in 2006 since Watson will be a UFA.

I think that Perry has to beat out Watson at some point this year. Otherwise, he isn't going to stick. Marvin has made it clear that all the injured guys have to work twice as hard to get back into the game, and I doubt he will hesitate to cut anyone who isn't giving that 200%. My bet is that Perry's draft status, and cap hit if cut, will protect him into the season, as long as he doesn't completely screw up or get hurt again in camp. But come September, he's going to have to actualize some of that vast store of potential he's got pretty darn quickly.

The biggest reason people have anything at all negative to say about Rudi is that he doesn't get many long runs. No one much argues that he is a consistent and durable 7 yards guy.

I have, many times. Rudi is not in that elite class of players who are threats to break a big play every time they touch the ball. But -- and this is the point that seems to be lost on some people -- just because he isn't one of the greats doesn't mean he therefore sucks. There's a long and distinguised line of NFL RBs in the ground-pounder/wrecking ball category: north-south runners whose job is to bang away at the opposition 25 or 30 times a game. They usually don't have a lot of big runs; they usually don't have great YPC averages; they usually don't have much utility in the passing game; and they usually have short NFL careers because their style means they take a hell of a beating. But when the dust settles, you look back and see guys who end up racking up a lot of yards and making a lot of plays and being key contributors to their teams' success. And that is by no means a bad thing to have.

Rudi was tied for 6th (with E. James) in the NFL for Big Play Rushes

(10 yards or more) ...he had 35 carries of 10 yards or more.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=069&Submit=Go

He was tied for 5th for Leaders in Rushing First Downs...

He had as many rushes for 1st downs as TJ had catches...

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=008&Submit=Go

Rudi is 10th on the Bengals all-time rushing list after only 21 starts.

He just takes the ball and doesn`t complain.

Even when the Bengals drafted a RB in the 1st round of Rudi`s contract year.

All he did was go out and break the franchise rushing yardage and carries

records.

AND Tied the record for most 100 yard games in a season (5).

He did all of this with a banged up O-Line, a "rookie" QB, and played

11 games against top 10 Defenses.

Plus he was missing the best blocking WR the Bengals have (Warrick).

And he is durable and fumbles alot LESS than Dillon.

Rudi is da man ! :player:

YPC for RBs in their first 10 carries: http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=083&Submit=Go

No RJ

YPC for RBs in their next 10: http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=083&Submit=Go

Nope, not there either

Carries 21+

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=085&Submit=Go

Hes 2nd. Its as ive always said, he is garbage throughout the game, then breaks a few semi long ones in the 4th quarter when the game is pretty much decided anyway. hes not an effective RB

BTW, Corey Dillon was 5th, 6th, and 12th, on each list respectively. Effective and efficient throughout the game.

Another interesting thing: http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=005&Submit=Go

Good job RJ, thats the kinda list you want to be first on, and by a pretty wide margin :lol: Some 'power' RB :lol:, i always said he sucked at short yardage

BTW, RJ and Dillon both fumbled 4 times this year.

Its as ive always said, he is garbage throughout the game, then breaks a few semi long ones in the 4th quarter when the game is pretty much decided anyway. hes not an effective RB

Yes, he is, and you've just shown why. He becomes increasinghly effective as the game goes on and his constant battering wears down the opposing defense. That's the modus operandi of wrecking ball-style backs. And late in the game is precisely when you want you running game to peak, because it allows you to control the clock. As for our games being "pretty much decided" in the fourth, what team were you watching last year? (Oh, yeah, the Patsies <_< ) We didn't have any blowouts. Too many times out games weren't decided until a Graham kick sailed through the uprights at the gun.

Our strategy is build a lead with the pass and then protect it with the run. Rudi, as you just demonstrated, is fine for that role.

Im not gonna get into a debate of whos better blah blah blah so basically

RUDI is RUDI he aint edge he aint LT he aint dillion he does what he does his way like was said earlier he fits out system perfectly that is enough for me look out for a great year from this man as he now has a line to run behind.

Rudi was tied for 6th (with E. James) in the NFL for Big Play Rushes (10 yards or more) ...he had 35 carries of 10 yards or more.

They don't care. The fan book on Rudi is that he doesn't give you big plays so don't muck things up proving that he does. That's the sort of thing that slows these types of threads down.

However, in an unrelated bit of news I did think the speculation about when Perry would be cut outright was fresh and fun to read.

Hes 2nd. Its as ive always said, he is garbage throughout the game, then breaks a few semi long ones in the 4th quarter when the game is pretty much decided anyway. hes not an effective RB

Yes,everybody knows that Rudi only gets yardage during 4th quarter garbage time when the Bengals have blown out the other team.

That would mean he got his yardage in one game in the last season and a half.

YPC for RBs in their first 10 carries:No RJ

YPC for RBs in their next 10:

Nope, not there either

Carries 21+

BTW, Corey Dillon was 5th, 6th, and 12th, on each list respectively. Effective and efficient throughout the game.

Good job RJ, thats the kinda list you want to be first on, and by a pretty wide margin :lol: Some 'power' RB :lol:, i always said he sucked at short yardage

BTW, RJ and Dillon both fumbled 4 times this year.

Who cares about that stat? Isn't the 4th quarter of the game when you want to average the most yards anyway. Keep the chains moving.

I have no love for CD, he didn't want to be in Cincy when they turned it around and became a front runner with the Pats. Sure he was good, it's easy to be good when you are winning and things are going well. But a true MAN shows his character in rough times. We all know how dillon acted in rough times.

Give me Rudi and his 1450 yards.

Short yardage is as much about blocking as it is the running back.

Rudi was tied for 6th (with E. James) in the NFL for Big Play Rushes (10 yards or more) ...he had 35 carries of 10 yards or more.

They don't care. The fan book on Rudi is that he doesn't give you big plays so don't muck things up proving that he does.

He does and he doesn't. Rudi has his share of big runs, but he needs more chances to get to the same point as his peers. Look at the three backs he's tied with at 35 10-yard-plus runs, Barber, Edge, and Kevin Jones. All three got as many big runs as Rudi in fewer attempts, in Jones' case, significantly fewer (120).

Pushy, Pushy, Pushy...

Perhaps Rudi is only not good enough if you have to have a pro-bowler at every position...Oh, wait a second...he is a probowler...Okay...

Maybe he's not good enough if he doesn't hold the Bengals the single-season most rushing yards...what, he has that, too, and after only one full season as the starting RB...hmmm...okay...

Maybe he's only good enough if he would just stop being such a show boat and only concerned with him......AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA...okay... give me a second...

The only possible way he can be good enough if he's an all pro...most yards in everything, rushing and recieving, and beats out even all of the kickers in points and in the offseason dies on the cross for our sins...

then Pushy will conceded he's okay, or at least not bad

I hated to do that to you but you...

wait for it.....

pushed me.

I think all of you guys are so funny. Everyone is quick to submit the stats that make Rudi look like the best RB in Bengals history... but when DPM submits stats that would lead most to believe otherwise, you explain them away with strange comments about some love affair that he has with Dillon.

The fact is, everyone on this thread is crazy. Since when did a W in a football game depend on these stats you are citing? You can find stats to prove just about anything you want. I can prove that Carson Palmer was the best or worst QB in the league last year if I focus on the right stats. so here are some relevant stats.

Fact: Rudi is good enough for our offense to be very productive.

Fact: Rudi is not as good as Dillon.

Fact: Rudi wants to be here, and Dillon was a spoiled brat of a man who bitched his way out of town. Good riddance.

Fact: We can win with any serviceable back that can get yards here an there, be that Rudi, Perry, or anyone one else that can give Palmer the chance to throw the ball downfield.

Fact: This is a boring thread

I think all of you guys are so funny. Everyone is quick to submit the stats that make Rudi look like the best RB in Bengals history... but when DPM submits stats that would lead most to believe otherwise, you explain them away with strange comments about some love affair that he has with Dillon.

The fact is, everyone on this thread is crazy. Since when did a W in a football game depend on these stats you are citing? You can find stats to prove just about anything you want. I can prove that Carson Palmer was the best or worst QB in the league last year if I focus on the right stats. so here are some relevant stats.

Fact: Rudi is good enough for our offense to be very productive.

Fact: Rudi is not as good as Dillon.

Fact: Rudi wants to be here, and Dillon was a spoiled brat of a man who bitched his way out of town. Good riddance.

Fact: We can win with any serviceable back that can get yards here an there, be that Rudi, Perry, or anyone one else that can give Palmer the chance to throw the ball downfield.

Fact: This is a boring thread

Maybe you'd think we were less funny if you would have been here for the last year .Nothing but one "Rudi sucks" post after another.

DPM's hatred of Rudi borders on the irrational.

The fact is, everyone on this thread is crazy.

That really, really hurts. I can't take that...not from you...not today. I'm so depressed now.

AAAAAHAHAHAHA

Hey shanker...here's what I do when I find a thread is boring...I don't write anything. I move to another thread. I eat cheese. I do anything except complain...

Are we not entertaining you??? Then (I've got to write this part in broken porttugeuse) Vai dormir com a tua irma que ja foi fudida por todos os jugadors que jogem para os Browns.

He does and he doesn't. Rudi has his share of big runs, but he needs more chances to get to the same point as his peers. Look at the three backs he's tied with at 35 10-yard-plus runs, Barber, Edge, and Kevin Jones. All three got as many big runs as Rudi in fewer attempts, in Jones' case, significantly fewer (120).

Then sign Kevin Jones. Wait, you can't do that. Because he belongs to another team, right? He belongs to a team that valued Jones higher than this team valued Chris Perry, a currently useless blob of roster space that can't even fill the role of backup RB to a guy like Rudi..

So now what?

Oh, I get it. Bitch about the fact the highly productive player your team does have, Rudi Johnson, doesn't produce stats in the manner of the very best at his position. And because he's not amongst the elite at one task then he must be inadequate at his job, right? Because why else would so many Bengal fans spend so much of their free time wondering, bitching, kvetching, and moronically whining about Rudi if he weren't totally inadequate, right?

Bottom Line: When it comes to running the ball in the NFL Rudi Johnson consistently does EVERYTHING his detractors claim he can't do.

And because he's not amongst the elite at one task then he must be inadequate at his job, right?

Well, we're certainly on the rag this a.m., hmmm? I recommend a double shot of Wild Turkey in your next cup of coffee...mite help take the edge off. B)

As for the quote above, let's scoll back to the second page of this thread, where I said:

just because he isn't one of the greats doesn't mean he therefore sucks.

So to answer your question (again), no.

I've said from day one that I would rank Rudi in the top 15 (read: somewhere in the 11-15 range). Apparently the Bengals agree, since his deal is just outside top 10 money. I'm very happy the Bengals have Rudi. But I wouldn't have written off the season had they let him walk.

The fact is, everyone on this thread is crazy.

That really, really hurts. I can't take that...not from you...not today. I'm so depressed now.

AAAAAHAHAHAHA

Hey shanker...here's what I do when I find a thread is boring...I don't write anything. I move to another thread. I eat cheese. I do anything except complain...

Are we not entertaining you??? Then (I've got to write this part in broken porttugeuse) Vai dormir com a tua irma que ja foi fudida por todos os jugadors que jogem para os Browns.

Sorry if I offended you Big O... I'm just tired of the whole Rudi discussion. Nearly everyone has either irrational hatred for the guy, or a cult like obsession with him. I attempt to take a more balanced approach, and personally don't view Rudi Johnson worth 48 posts in a little more that 15 hours.

I know how hypocritical that is, seeing how I am currently posting on this thread, but what else am I to do... eveyone in Bengaldom is posting on this thread and no one is talking about anything else!

As far as being entertained... you always entertain with those pics you post, and I don't know what you wrote in Portugeuse, but I am deeply hurt and offended because I saw the word "Browns" in there!