Copyright 2005 P.G. Publishing Co.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pennsylvania)

April 20, 2005 Wednesday REGION EDITION

SECTION: SPORTS, Pg.D-8

LENGTH: 655 words

HEADLINE: HENRY TRIES TO POLISH TARNISHED IMAGE

BYLINE: Chuck Finder Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BODY:

His future depends upon him shedding his past acts. There is no eluding those. There are no head fakes or double moves to shake free of them.

Chris Henry must confront these so-called character issues straightforward, grab them about the shoulder pads and get beyond them.

The middle finger raised to the Rutgers crowd after two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? The suspension for the game against Pitt at Thanksgiving?

That, he said, was another Chris Henry. The West Virginia University one. The immature kid who's gone.

He said it once, twice, every time he was queried on the subject. NFL team after NFL team wondered about it when meeting with this Mountaineers receiver at the combine in Indianapolis. The Cincinnati Bengals wondered about it when bringing him in for a visit two weeks ago -- the only team that invited him onto its turf.

"I was asked about my attitude and why do I have an attitude problem," Henry recalled over the telephone from his suburban New Orleans home this week, anxiously awaiting his future to begin to unfurl with this weekend's draft. "I just try to explain to them that I really don't have an attitude problem. I just went through some things in college. That really wasn't me, you know?"

In some respects, life as a prospect for the NFL draft morphs into a political candidacy. Substitute character issues for family values. Remove pro day on campus, in front of probing scouts with stopwatches and notepads, and insert primary election at the polls.

Still, it's a beauty contest, and that raised middle finger or the absence from the Backyard Brawl rivalry are gross disfigurements.

Will it cause teams to shy away round after round? A better question: A West Virginian named Randy Moss slipped only a few spots in the 1998 first round and, amid incidents where he ran down a crossing guard and walked off the field with time left on the game clock, doesn't he still find gainful NFL employment?

Henry, who opted for the draft after three years and two seasons in Morgantown, W.Va., isn't as gifted a receiver as Moss, but he possesses enough talent for a handful of credible mock drafts to have him going No. 30 (Steelers) and No. 31 (Eagles) overall. Most draft watchers, though, predict him for a third- or fourth-rounder.

"There's a lot of stuff NFL teams look into," began Rasheed Marshall, Henry's quarterback at West Virginia the past two seasons and, coincidentally, a fellow receiver prospect entering this draft. "But he's got a lot of potential, a lot of upside."

In other words, uncertainty hovers over this Henry-for-draft campaign, and this 6-foot-4, 197-pound man flies -- at 4.4-second speed in the 40-yard dash -- into the cloud and attempts to clear the air.

He caught 1,006 yards worth of passes and 10 touchdowns in 2003. He added 872 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, despite missing a game and a half because of suspensions over the Rutgers incident Oct. 30 and team violations before playing Pitt Nov. 25. He showed at the combine the physical package of a first-round draftee.

The questions remained: What about the head? What about the heart? He took several teams' psychological tests in Indianapolis; "here and there, they had some strange questions, but most of them weren't too bad." Scout.com offered this synopsis: In a lot of ways, he reminds us of Randy Moss. The irony, however, is that Henry also shares similar character issues as Moss. ... As enticing as his upside is, Henry's baggage will cause him to fall on draft day.

"They have no problem with my ability," Henry said of NFL teams. "Everybody explained to me they know I got the talent. They just want to make sure. They don't want to make a mistake."

Off the field, he added, "I'm really a good guy. A good person. Laid back and quiet, you know?"

It's the Chris Henry he's trying to get NFL teams to know, for this weekend and beyond.

LOAD-DATE: April 20, 2005

One can only help that he really and truly is trying to resolve his character issues, but one has to be concerned that he says "I don't have a problem".

One or two incidents - maybe.

AS many as he has had - it's a pattern, and he DOES have a problem.

We'll see if he straightens out. In Cincinnati, he is a 3 at best - he's probably never been a 3 before in his life, and the shock may affect him some. Maybe.

I seriously hope he can resolve his character issues. If he can he can be a very good Wider Receiver. Like I said #3 or 4 WR he will be a great slot receiver"Hopefully" and I do mean hopefully. If he has resolved his character issues and is willing to get with Marvin's program than he may be a good wide receiver. Look forward to seeing his "snoop deville" when I get back in Cincinnati in the summer, since he has that type of car. If he can build off of his potential than this is a potential steal, other than that he may be a bum receiver who thinks he is more than he is.

Oh man when I saw Pac Man come on the screen after getting picked we fell on the floor laughing as he pushed some lady out of the way so he could his silver Pac Man bling-bling some air time, everyone else was so normal and low key before that. That dude is hilarious, good player too, obviously.

For your Info -I know someone who's brother used to coach at WVU. And the info on this guy is he has the worst kind of attitude.He wont listen to coaches He doesn't care if a penalty hurts the team he will through his tantrum anyway.He has a bad temper.Worst of all he dropps too many balls.The thing you dont your WR doing is dropping balls.Does he have decent and speed ? yes But that doesnt make you a football player.

For your Info -I know someone who's brother used to coach at WVU. And the info on this guy is he has the worst kind of attitude.He wont listen to coaches He doesn't care if a penalty hurts the team he will through his tantrum anyway.He has a bad temper.Worst of all he dropps too many balls.The thing you dont your WR doing is dropping balls.Does he have decent and speed ? yes But that doesnt make you a football player.

I have heard all that too. But, then, this is his last chance to get it right. If he can't fly right under ML, he won't make it. But, if ML reaches him, and Hue Jackson reaches him, then he brings talent to the position that cannot be taught.

I might also point out, CJ had similar questions and a similar rap dogging him coming out of Oregon State...

Plus, in my opinion, this kind of hand-wringing over his attitude problems is a waste of time. Look, if he had been taken in the first round, then, yes, all of those issues would be VERY worrisome. You can't whiff on a 1st rounder, and taking chances on a guy like that early is very risky.

But he was a 3rd rounder, for gawdssake. This is EXACTLY where you take that leap. Thrilled with the pick.

And, if you do some reading around this morning, you will see that the Bengals did their due diligence and then some on him.

If he really is trying to change, then, by all means, let him bring that size and speed to this team oppposite CJ. Down the road, with CJ on one side, Henry on the other, and TJ in the slot? Damn, but that would be potent.

thats why he was picked in the 3rd round and not the first. its a GAMBLE. if he pays off its a huge reward for us...if it doesnt, its a 3rd round pick and we aint really paying him that much.

thats why he was picked in the 3rd round and not the first. its a GAMBLE. if he pays off its a huge reward for us...if it doesnt, its a 3rd round pick and we aint really paying him that much.

Exactly.

thats why he was picked in the 3rd round and not the first. its a GAMBLE.

How did YOU do - comparing school with work?

Personally I hated school to the enth degree, couldn't stand the place. But the work place had a maturity and expectation which appealed to me more than a school environment did. Brought out a better ancd much more productive side to my nature.

Hopefully the same will apply here. HOPEFULLY.

There is a definite risk involved with taking a player with temper/attitude issues, but I believe handling players with such baggage is one of Coach Lewis's strong points.

Marvin must have seen something, because the kid is now headed to Cincy!