• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notebook: Every down, these guys were there

March 31, 2005

By Pete Prisco

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

It's the nine defensive players who should get the most credit. If you stay on the field in this era of situational substitution, it means you're a heck of a player. It means you can tackle against the run, yet have the ability to play in coverage. It also means you stay healthy.

The nine were Ravens safety Ed Reed, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, Browns safety Robert Griffith, Panthers safety Mike Minter, Texans linebacker Jamie Sharper, Saints safety Jay Bellamy, Seahawks safety Ken Hamlin, Redskins linebacker Antonio Pierce and Redskins linebacker Marcus Washington.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8345324

sorry, but i seriously dont want another version of Kevin Hardy... in the lineup.

:huh: I hope that he is better than Hardy, I am tired of teams running sweeps to their left side and Hardy not being able to get there...I saw it happen way to much last year, I know some think he is a good locker room presence. We need his presence on the field more on running plays on Sundays. If Sharper is an upgrade I'm down for it... :D

Sharper would be welcome addition. And he is a Marvin guy who i think wants to play for Marvin again.

Also Hardy did suck that first year. We moved him from his natural postion and expected him to hold up in the middle. Sharper however is natural MLB and shoudl be a huge aid if we get him.

Sharper should be signed if he can play MLB in a 4-3. 4 yr $16 mill w/ $4 mill to sign is a solid bid.

Sounds like the Natester is done and Landon has chronic shoulder problems. Miller's not ready and might not ever be. So MLB is shaping up like a major problem on D this year unless action is taken.

Bengals have visits scheduled w/ Odell Thurman, Matt McCoy, and Nick Speegle so they're looking help at LB regardless. But Sharper would be the push to get this team over the edge and into the playoff mix for a deep run.

this is going to happen. He played for Lewis, and this is his first and only choice to land. Great pickup by the Bengals. ILB is pretty much their biggest need going into the draft, and now that they've addressed it, they can be much more flexible with that pick at 17.

I concur. He and Marvin mutually respect one another, he needs a job, and Cincinnati just happens to have one open that he could fill!

I personally don't see a whole lot of parallels between Hardy and Sharper.

A question for anyone who is not for this move...do you support getting rid of Brian Simmons? Because Simmons came just one draft after Sharper, I believe.

I think Sharper has plenty left in the tank, and would be exactly the shot of leadership and playmaking at LB that this team needs.

Get it done, get it done, get it done.

I personally don't see a whole lot of parallels between Hardy and Sharper.

Me either. He'd be a very good signing. However, there appear to be multiple teams bidding on his services. I'll be surprised if the bengals come out on top.

this is going to happen. He played for Lewis, and this is his first and only choice to land. Great pickup by the Bengals. ILB is pretty much their biggest need going into the draft, and now that they've addressed it, they can be much more flexible with that pick at 17.

And that flexibility will reap positive rewards as well I'm sure.

Looking forward to the draft and really excited about next season.

well i'm thinking in the future... Hardy we fine when we signed him, but afte about 6 motnhs he just went DOWN HILL....I think we can do better then sign another LB going on the down hill.

There were questions about Hardy when he came here in 2003. He had some knee trouble in Dallas and had been let go by the Jags before that after being the #2 pick in the draft in their early years.

He may have been on the downside of his career when we got him but he was a "Marvin"guy and we needed a few of those after the departure of Spikes. He had been to the AFC Championship game and was on some successful teams in Jacksonville. He was a good leader and had some intangables that not many had around here. He was a building block for the future.

If anything Marvin was sending a message to his team that everyone is replaceable. So for the the short term Hardy was a nice pickup but I think it is time to move him out if we can get Sharper.

We wouldn't even be having this talk if we still had this LB core

Simmions, Spikes, Folye

Still, i'd wish we kept Spikes.... grr

i personally felt really bad for the man. He left the season before Lewis came, and he left a team that could never get out of the doldrums of the NFL to a team that found themselves right back in it. He went to the Bills who went 6-10, while the Bengals he left went 8-8.... I feel bad for him.

At least now the Bills are improving and looking good though. I expect them in the playoffs next year, and I'm rooting for Spikes. He's a team player who just got tired of an organization making bad moves and being complacent with losing (which has seemed to change now for the better).

We wouldn't even be having this talk if we still had this LB core

Simmions, Spikes, Folye

Still, i'd wish we kept Spikes.... grr

i personally felt really bad for the man. He left the season before Lewis came, and he left a team that could never get out of the doldrums of the NFL to a team that found themselves right back in it. He went to the Bills who went 6-10, while the Bengals he left went 8-8.... I feel bad for him.

At least now the Bills are improving and looking good though. I expect them in the playoffs next year, and I'm rooting for Spikes. He's a team player who just got tired of an organization making bad moves and being complacent with losing (which has seemed to change now for the better).

Personally, I think that it is likely that the Bills will take a bit of a step Backwards this year ...

Spikes didn't want to be here. End of discussion. Steve Foley hasn't played a down for the Bengals since game 12 of the 2001 season. End of discussion.

We can't keep rehashing the same $h** every month or so. I like who he have.

Spikes didn't want to be here. End of discussion. Steve Foley hasn't played a down for the Bengals since game 12 of the 2001 season. End of discussion.

We can't keep rehashing the same $h** every month or so. I like who he have.

<_< What he said !

Sharper would be a great pick up IF we can get him. A lot of other teams seem to feel the same way, and we can't afford a bidding war.