Hobson: Feelin' Good!

HoosierCat

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2789

You really have to admire Hobson. I mean, the guy tries...he really does. His nickname out to be "Mr. Silver Lining" because he can find a bright side to anything. If a giant asteroid hit and whiped out everything but the cockroaches and Hobson, he'd have a column about how it's a whole new Raid- and Roach Motel-free world (lest he annoy his new insectoid masters, of course ;) )

28th vs. the run last year, Geoff...28th. Better be a helluva fugging draft... <_<

you have to read between the lines in a Hobson article...Everything is allways great in Bengal land according to him... He does give some insight but you still have to decipher it...Is he on their payroll? wink wink...

everyone knows his articles hold hardly any bit of truth or insight. i liked the article though....we need a DT man bad though

I like Hobson's stuff.

And, on the whole, I think the Bengals have done a phenomenal job so far just:

1. Holding serve and retaining TJ and Rudi; and

2. Doing so without the bitterness and acrimony that used to characterize that process.

3. Now that the initial drunken flurry of FA signings is over, they will pick up pieces that will help this team win, I think.

4. For those of you irritable about not being active just yet...CB Anthony Henry got a $10 million dollar signing bonus from Dallas. I hold that out as Exhibit A that the market thus far has been insane.

So, I tend to agree with the piece.

2. Doing so without the bitterness and acrimony that used to characterize that process.

This is a good point.

It could have easily become a degenerative situation but it has been handle quite professionally with no party really losing any face.

Services retained (suits Bengals)

Options open and all to play for (suits players)

Kept wage increases within salary cap (suits Bengals and players)

No acrimony (suits everyone)

You really have to admire Hobson. I mean, the guy tries...he really does. His nickname out to be "Mr. Silver Lining" because he can find a bright side to anything.

Usually I do, but sure as hell it's not for this type of thing. It's just me I know, but people like that drive me up the proverbial WALL!! I must be too much of a cynic, but I'm sorry. The truth is simply there isn't a "bright side" to everything.

Where's the freakin' "bright side" to going 14 freakin' years, and not one playoff appearance! Well Geoffy...I'm waiting. Is it being so used to taking it up the tail pipe for so long, if by chance you're ever sentenced to federal prison, the transition won't be as painful? Yeah...that must be it. :(

And where's the "bright side" to being the laughing stock of the NFL for so many years, or playing so bad, for so long, that the league no longer knows you as the "Bengals." Your team has "de-evolutionized" into being the "Bungles!" As in "just wait and see how they will "bungle" this next head coach selction(Marvin excluded)/draft choice/trade up/trade down/plain old trade/free agent deal/roster move/snap/defensive set/going-for-it-on-4th-down...etc, etc, etc. Well Hobson? C'mon! Let's hear the bright side to those jewels!

Now if by some stretch of the imagine, you can find such a bright side to these things I just mentioned, you'll never find one to this last one:

You've come home early from work to surprise the little lady of the house, and find your wife naked in bed with the entire Cleveland Browns team! :o The horror!!! The horror!! Tell me there's a "bright side" to that one!!

...end of rant. <_<

I've been searching some of the other team sites and so far ours is the worst. I think Hobson does it all by himself and he is waaaaaay over his head. The guy needs to hire some help and update his site more often. He re upped it yesterday for the first time in three days! I know it's the offseason and we haven't done anything in FA, but damn give us something!!!

I've been searching some of the other team sites and so far ours is the worst.

I don't know about it being the worst. The content of the articles is usually up to par. It's just the basic layout, graphics, and features. To me it just lacks the "polished" feel of websites like those of the Rams, Patriots, or Tampa Bay.

It's like going from the desktop of Windows 3.1 to XP Professional in a click of the mouse! (Well, maybe not quite that drastic, but it's noticable. :rolleyes: )

Actually, as far as football sites go I think bengals.com is pretty good. The design is pedestrian, but they do a good job of serving up new and interesting content. A lot of NFL sites are just "corporate" style stuff whose "updates" are no more than team press releases. At least Hobson will quote espn or sportsline or a newspaper to give more detail than he's "officially" issued.

And when he sticks to the players, coaches and team, Hobson is a solid reporter and writer. He writes in an entertaining and informative manner, he obviously cares about his subject material, and is even capable of the occasional insight. But like billy, I can't help but be exasperated when he goes into "apologist for the regime" mode as he does here.

I mean, was there anyone who didn't bust out laughing at the claim that the Bengals may have gained an edge on Cleveland because the Browns lost their "best defensive lineman" Gerard Warren??? C'mon, Geoff! Warren was the Browns' best defensive lineman in the same sense that the Bismark is the best battleship at the bottom of the Atlantic! I haven't seen a clearer case of "addition by subtraction" since the Bengals cut Artrell.

But so it goes. Sometimes, when he goes way overboard with comments like the Warren one, I wonder if he isn't privately rolling his eyes at what he's writing himself. Just a hint of sardonic amusement with the company line...? But I guess we'll have to wait until he leaves and pens the inevitable book to find out...

I mean, was there anyone who didn't bust out laughing at the claim that the Bengals may have gained an edge on Cleveland because the Browns lost their "best defensive lineman" Gerard Warren???

We need to remember what one of my math professors once told me -- the BEST is NOT always GOOD.

As with your point -- Warren really may have been their BEST but he was not close to being GOOD.

Billy, I wouldn't know that it was the Browns in bed with my GF...what player on the Browns would I actually recognize?

Unless they gave me proof, I wouldn't know who they were. There's my silver lining.

I agreed with the article. Everyone wants to add new talent, but I'm not the least bit disappointed in the Bengals FA strategy. Keeping Rudi was priority one for me and since I thought a choice would have to be made I reluctantly decided that TJ needed to be thrown under the bus. But the Bengals managed to keep both players...a fairly neat trick.

No complaints.