General 2024 Training Camp Thread

It’s possible that conflict exists as you describe it. If so, however, it’d be pretty loaded. Expecting Chase to put up gigantic JJ stat lines while sharing major targets with Higgins and Boyd is a bit much. I hope the Bengals aren’t in that mindset.

So I love stats as much as the next guy but they don't always paint the appropriate picture either.

Take this conversation.  If we are solely looking at yards as the measuring stick, I absolutely do not think Chase should be in the Jefferson range for a contract.  Maybe just south of that.

However, the bigger picture (which there is) paints things differently.
For example, in the 3 years Chase has been in the league, he has 29 TD's and has eclipsed Jefferson in that stat in each of his 3 years in the league.  With all WR's he was top 5 in 2 of his 3 season for TD's.

He has been #5, #7 and #13 for yards per game in each of his 3 seasons as well.  Not bad.
He's only lost 3 fumbles throughout his career to this point.
Yards after the catch.  2 of 3 years in the top 10, with a top 3 finish his rookie year.

Then there's the postseason.  That's a huge measuring stick when handing out career honors like the Hall of Fame.  Chase has nearly 600 yards and 3 post season TD's.  Not huge, but Jefferson has zero.

Also, as Stripes indicated Chase has played in an offense loaded full of pass catching talent.  He has done that despite those weapons.  Jefferson, until Addison, has been the sole source of targets for the most part.  Oddly enough, Addison had more TD's than Jefferson last year.

Chase is deserving of top end money and they should pay him.

18 minutes ago, Stripes said:

It’s possible that conflict exists as you describe it. If so, however, it’d be pretty loaded. Expecting Chase to put up gigantic JJ stat lines while sharing major targets with Higgins and Boyd is a bit much. I hope the Bengals aren’t in that mindset.

Justin Jefferson produced 1,400 then 1,600 then 1,800 his first 3 years.    Chase hasn't topped his rookie season of 1,400.

Again assuming what the negotiation tatics would be.    Its quite unreasonable to be asking for THE TOP RATE a year early with those stat lines in comparison.    Targets are what they are but anybody with an honest bone in their body is putting JJ over Chase at this point.   

Apparently Bengals got their ass kicked up in Chicago today.     Kudos to the local radio guys for taking any bad news about the team and linking it to the front office and J'mar Chase.

D'ante Smith and Chris Evans carted off in air casts.    Tony Pike take "Well the front has to sign J'mar Chase now".

Yeah, seems like they are trying to stir the drama story line a little.    Just a side effect of starters not playing meaningful snaps in preseason,  now the media needs to stir up drama over practices because they don't have any material of substance to talk about.

Also, injuries this year are tearing teams up.  

The two rookies I was most looking forward to watching:

Amarius Mims - out several weeks with strained pec.

JJ McCarthy (Vikings qb) - out for the season after knee surgery.

Evans played 24 offensive snaps last year.    Special teams hit for sure.

I don't think D'Ante Smith played a snap last year.  Did he get hurt last year?  Shame really just another OL miss by the front office at this point.   Wasn't really expecting him to make the team, did he play Saturday?

With injuries to Trent Brown and Mims.  Cody Ford is the guy first off the Bench for RT or jumbo packages like last year,  the practice in Chicago confirms that.   Cody also provides guard depth.     

I guess the major question will be is Mims hurt serious enough to land him on a PUP or IR list that takes him out the first few games and saves a roster spot for another tackle?

The starting lineup on Saturday will be interesting.   Are you starting prime backs up that have made the team already or are you protecting them and  not playing them?  I would not be playing Ford at this point.   Then does Carman start LT?  If he does is he the prime LT back up or do they need to see him play better to make the team?   

I would guess about the same if Brown and Mims remain out, in that either Ford or Carman get the start at RT.
That fills me with about as much joy and pleasure as getting kicked in the nuts by a mule.

With Browning out, it looks like Woodside and whoever is after him getting all the snaps.
Just don't play anyone in the first two strings.  There's simply no point in risking any more injuries at this point.

The o-line depth is "maybe" a step above complete dog shit, but not by much.
Looking closer, I think I should have said, a step "below"...

who is the swing tackle with Ford currently starting at ORT, Army?   Please dont say Carman.  

Im gonna check on my dead gramma's availability

Hard to believe we are already down to ORT3, but we chose to rely on two players who both have extensive injury histories (and yeah, I know Mims is trying to deny it, but it is what it is no matter what he claims)

Need to get this ORT situation corrected someday

Someday

I been begging for it for years now

11 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Who is the swing tackle with Ford currently starting at ORT, Army?   Please don't say Carman.  

Well, that's kind of the problem.  D'Ante Smith was the #3 on the official site's depth chart.
However, we all know he was carted off the field yesterday as well.
If you weren't aware, he was heard "Screaming in pain" on the field and needed an air cast prior to being carted off.
I'm not expecting better news on his injury today.

So that leaves us with....   DRUM ROLL PLEASE....

Carman, who is currently the #2 LT or Ford, who is currently the #2 RG to get snaps at the RT spot.
Well, unless they want to get Kirkland, who is currently the #2 LG or one of the unknowns further down the pecking order.

I would rather see Ford get RT snaps, but that's like saying you want Syphilis instead of herpes.
One is less painful than the other, but you want don't want anything to do with either.

Trent Brown is what he is.  Dude showed up hurt in July, finally got cleared to practice August 4th, makes it to August 15th when back tightness sits him down.  

The frustrating thing is that when he’s not hurt, Trent can really play.  He’s good. 

If he can somehow get right for the season, it will have a huge positive effect on our whole line.  He’s really smart.  

My hope - his “back tightness” is minor and they’re just being super cautious.  If that’s the case, he starts week one and if he can manage to ham and egg it with Mims, we’ll have one or the other in there.  Could be good on the right side!

I'm not reading to deep into Trent's injuries.  Zac runs a vet friendly camp.  I do think you don't start him if he's not punching the clock a couple weeks out from the opener.

I think I read the Bears offensive starters are going to square off against the Bengals D 2s and 3s.   I'd expect to see Dax and DJ turner getting 1st half reps.   Hopefully that back 7 can make plays in the first quarter/half.

The Ocho has opined on the Chase situation:

"Ja'Marr's deal will get done, probably sometime this week," Johnson said. "Because I'm sure Joe Burrow will probably grow frustrated at some point not having his top receiver out there. (Jermaine) Burton is good. (Tee) Higgins is good.

"He's not touching the field," Johnson said about the scenario where a deal doesn't get done. "Certain players, they can separate their love for the game and business, if it was me, I'd have been out there practicing deal or no deal I don't care.