General 2024 Training Camp Thread

A+
Amarius Mims
   Mims’ first impression has been the story of camp and suddenly he’s gone from the inexperienced rookie to, perhaps, the safer option to start on opening day over Brown.

A
Daijhan Anthony
    One pick by the seventh-rounder and it happens to be the first of camp? Nice. A second interception, this the first of Burrow in camp? Even better. A third interception, this time falling off your assignment reading the quarterback in a passing lane? OK, we have a trend. Anthony might be a seventh-rounder out of Ole Miss, but he’s made a big impression in the early portion of camp. He’s versatile and has been rewarded with snaps at different positions and up in the rotation. His knack for finding the football has been hard to miss.

A-
Josh Newton
    His tenacity, physicality and stickiness in coverage are notable. Every day he makes a play or two. He’s certainly arrived playing at a level higher than the fifth-round slot he was selected out of TCU.  

B
Erick All
    What we have seen is notable. The athleticism and versatility show up.  His play grew the encouragement exponentially.

C+
Cedric Johnson
    He needs plenty of development for his impressive physical traits that originally drew the Bengals’ scouts to him. He’s shown speed to burn coming off the edge.  they’ve focused him on the right side, but any action he sees on the field this year would probably come on special teams

C
Kris Jenkins
    We have not seen the instant impact to this point. As always, in the trenches, the games will be a better judge, but he hasn’t produced a buzzy first three weeks. There’s plenty to like about his foundation of technique and power but he needs to show some progress in the coming weeks

Jermaine Burton
     Burton’s merely going through a standard process of figuring out the NFL. That’s kept him in a reserve role and slightly off the radar considering the overwhelming hype that followed him into this camp.

C-

Tanner Mclachlan
    There’s just not much to analyze with McLachlan. He missed OTAs with a core muscle injury and missed some time in camp working his way back.   He also hasn’t shown himself.  You’d like to take more notice of a player, but he’s blended in

Mike Lee
    He’s not cracked reps with the second team with Hill getting all the work when the twos take over.  you would have liked to see a touch more momentum for Lee in the rotations.

Incomplete
McKinley Jackson
    The injury will put him behind.  He’s been fine so far. There hasn’t been much to note about his time on the field. That can often be the case for 330-pound nose tackles, but he hasn’t been a terror and also hasn’t looked like a liability.

Dehner's Rookie Grades so far.   IMO, way too early for this but here you go.

The reason why I say "way too early" .   Sometimes these media boyzzzz act like fan boi

This time last year they were hyping Robbin's booming punts.  Sucked his rookie year.    They went over drive hype on Volson and he's been one of the worse starting guards in the league.  

Just relax media fan boi.  

If Chuck Sizzle is taken off the grill, Burton is going to get more opportunities.

I still can't help but think that with all these TE options, we are going to see Gesicki get more and more snaps from the slot.
It will be good to see these guys get snaps during the preseason.  That's part of what I like most about the preseason.

He's light in the ass for a WR.
While being 6'0 tall, he was only 175 when he was drafted.
According to the official site, he's now listed at 183.

Some may not think it matters all that much, but in comparison when drafted this year, Burton was 6'0 and 200.
Further comparison, Tyler Boyd is 6'2 and listed at 205.

I hope Jones gets healthy, but staying that way may prove to be a challenge.

A lot of media outlets are talking about how bad Jake Browning looked

I saw it another way.....Browning was being given 4th to 7th stringers to work with  Those folks usually dont play until 4th quarter

when QB3 came out, suddenly he had the likes of Jermaine Burton to work with......basically, in the late 3rd/and 4th quarters, thats when the second stringers mostly were out on the field

What I am more used to is that as time goes by in a preseason game, the players are progressively lower on the depth chart, but thats not how they played it against Tampa Bay.  Then went 1s to 4-7s then back to 2s and 3s

Weird

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

In similar vein, I blame Mike Brown.

It was so effing predictable.  Draft a good tackle, watch him get injured.  At least this one wasn’t a complete loss of rookie year (Jonah Williams).  

Our luck on drafting linemen must improve.  It almost can’t get worse.  Jackson Carman, Cedric Ogbuehi, Billy Price, Russell Bodine, etc.  It truly is maddening.  

• Like 1

Volson is solid

It is starting to look like Matt Lee is a steal, albeit it is waaaaaaaay early to make a final judgement there.

Injury history (and the directly resulting lack of game experience) was the only reason I did not want Mims in r1.  Aside from that, I like everything about the guy, and he has looked like a starter in camp.  Works hard, nose to the grindstone type, seems like a genuinely good locker room guy, and gifted in size and athleticism.  He probably would have gone in the top 10 picks if it werent for his injury history, which is now biting us in the ass

The player we could have taken instead had his own injury history concerns, and is also injured and will (same as Mims) miss the rest of the preseason

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-good-news-troy-fautanu-knee-injury-preseason

That said, we need to keep trying to draft quality linemen in here, or we will break the bank paying for our OL

I like Mims and will hold out hope he heals fast.
The team continues to both draft and sign free agent o-linemen and I won't fault them for that.

I didn't like Fautanu, who went to the Steelers.
The next o-lineman was Jordan Morgan at #25 and he was coming back from injuries as well.
Barton was a center at 26 and then Guyton went to the Cowboys at 29.

He was the guy I liked and thought the Bengals may have wanted in a trade down scenario.
He seems to be doing well so far in Cowboys camp.

I also was hoping against hope that Jackson-Powers fell to us in the 2nd round, but missed us by 5 picks.
There was then a small run on OT's at the end of the 2nd, but no one I was head over heels about either.

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I thought the Bengals showed some interest in Tart, but at this point, I think he's about done.
If we sign him due to injuries and helps until they get healthy, I guess you have to do something, but wouldn't be thrilled.

For what it's worth, Coach Zac said Mims' injury was an "Extremely Minor Setback".
He could also be ready come week 1, so I'm good with resting him for the last two preseason games.
If I read things correctly, he got 15 snaps with 12 of those coming on the opening TD drive with the first team.

Also of note, NONE of the starters will be playing in the upcoming Bears game and are an unknown in the last preseason game.
I wouldn't mind seeing the starters get another drive under their belt before the week one home opener.

• Like 1

Hobs pimping Kirkland at OT:

Kicking out No. 2 left guard Jaxson Kirkland to No. 2 left tackle wasn't all that surprising since he's having an excellent camp. The Bengals signed him last year as an undrafted free agent out of Washington who played every spot but center in making three first All Pac-12 teams.

Kirkland certainly looked competent outside Monday, the first time he's played tackle in Cincinnati after spending most of last season on the practice squad before getting wrist surgery.

"He's been playing guard most of the time and these are his first reps at tackle. Watch the tape and you will enjoy watching him, too," Pollack said. "He's had a great camp. He's an offensive lineman. He's got to hone some of his technique and be a little bit quicker with his hands at guard, counter moves, and all that kind of stuff with his feet. But he's working on that stuff and he's doing really well."

Again, for what seemed to be the fifth straight day, Kirkland was in the middle of a scrum, this time standing up for running back Trayveon Williamsdown the field. As they ran back to the huddle, Willams gave Kirkland a pat on the back.

"He (doesn't) take (crap) from anybody. That's how you've got to be. He's not doing cheap shots. He's just playing football," Pollack said. "What's typical about defensive guys is they don't like to be blocked. It doesn't matter what position they play. That's typical. I just laugh it off, and those guys are going to defend themselves and not back off from anybody. That's what you want on the O-Line. I call it the 'silent intimidators.'" …