General 2024 Training Camp Thread

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I will applaud them for making ANY effort to not come out week one looking like they just learned how to play football. These first few weeks over the last handful of years have just been embarrassing. 

T H I S

a thousand and one times this

I honestly have no idea what the issue has been with the agonizingly slow starts.

I won't pin it all on not getting preseason reps, camps being too soft, weight/cardio training, or food in the dining facility.
It could be any of that, all of that, a combination of that, or even none of that.  I would be speculating at best.

That all being said, something hasn't gone right in each of the years which has led to slow starts.
Burrow being injured, sick, or having surgery while camp is going on doesn't exactly help either.
Not that it's his fault, but that plays a part.  A healthy (fingers crossed) Joe Burrow would be welcomed in 2024.

Again, them acknowledging it's an issue and being willing to try something different to address it is half the battle.
Will what they do work?  I have no idea.  Even if they start fast, it might not even be a product of what they did.

Crap shoot.

“You can’t just pay people willy nilly.” - Mike at camp presser explaining why we can’t fit Tee under the cap.

Only 89 year olds have the acumen and energy to run a billion dollar business, so we’re lucky to still have Mike around.  I’m looking forward to reading his guest piece in the WSJ tomorrow explaining 1. Why it is appropriate to wear sock garters even with your Bermuda shorts, and 2. Why these new IBM Selectric typewriters with all the letters on the little ball are such a great step forward (spoiler : only the little ball has to move instead of the whole carriage holding the paper.  Those guys over at IBM are way ahead of their time).

• Haha 1

I would attribute slow starts primarily to:

- Burrow camp injuries/ailments (biggest factor by a mile)

- Slow-adapting in-game coaching

- Fluke longsnapper injury

- Bad divisional matchups against elite pass rushers that expose the OL deficiencies, regardless of preseason

- The camp and preseason stuff could be factors too. Who knows. It’s the only thing they can control right now.

37 minutes ago, Stripes said:

- The camp and preseason stuff could be factors too. Who knows. It’s the only thing they can control right now.

Exactly. Lots of flukey stuff and injuries have happened and will happen. But this is one thing they can control so give it a shot.

Trent Brown starts camp on the non-football injury list. Mims will at least be getting 1st team reps to start in camp.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him beat out Brown. I don’t expect it, but wouldn’t be shocked.

Tough for a rookie tackle to start, but I hope you’re right, because if he wins the job in camp it will be because he’s damn good already.  And we’ll have a chance at a long-term starter at tackle.  

while I definitely do see the silver lining in Trent Brown being NFI'ed the day before training camp starts

......ie Mims get starter snaps, which he absolutely needs.....

I am starting to get worried that Trent is a bust in the making for us.....he didnt show for OTAs after collecting a big check and now is in essence a no show for training camp (although he is there, just not practicing, hopefully helping to groom the rook)

We need both guys healthy and good to go for game 1 because both of them have had health issues their entire career thus far.

anyone heard any word on when Trent Brown is expected to be taken off the NFI list or what the NFI issue is?   

No idea but he's reportedly on the field in uniform today, so whatever it is, it doesn't appear serious. Might just have to lose a few pounds or something.

ETA: Taylor:

“He had some tightness. Just trying to be smart, especially with some of these veteran guys," Taylor told the media on Wednesday. "Give him a chance to get with the trainer. Who knows how many days, it could be a couple days and see where he is at."

• Thanks 1

That video of Brown and Mims walking in together is interesting. Both are about the same size and weight, but the way they carry that weight is completely different.

Not a knock but Brown looks fat where Mims looks like a lab built monster.

Sounds very much like a typical Zac training camp.  Resting Chase, resting Brown, planning to rest Higgins.  

Also, the concrete plant right on the river there is the star of every training camp and it looks to be in great shape.  

• Haha 1

Meanwhile in Baltimore…

Lamar Jackson made his training camp debut Wednesday, but the NFL's reigning MVP lasted only an hour.

After missing the first three days of Baltimore Ravens training camp, Jackson left the field midway through Wednesday's workout. He looked weary while walking across the field and into the team facility, and he was not feeling well, according to a source.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40633863/lamar-jackson-lasts-just-one-hour-return-ravens-practice

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Dont you have to be a certain height to be in the Army?

Just like being able to ride certain amusement park rides

Yes, actually you do.  It starts at 5 foot even for men.
Fortunately for me, 5'7 was more than acceptable.
On the bright side, a smaller stature makes for a smaller target !!
That and I had no issues cramming my ass into the back of the vehicle with a full load out, while taller guys struggled.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

but the rules say no one shoots the medic, right?

Someone forgot to tell the bad guys that was a rule.
While I was never hit, my assault pack has bullet holes in it and our vehicle ran over an IED, but no one got hurt.
The vehicle was toast though.