Round 2 (49): Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

With 9 picks remaining and no way there is room for all these guys, this is the day I would like to see the Bengals get aggressive and move up to get the guy they really think will make an impact for the team, whether this year or next.

The talent still on the board is pretty staggering to me.  I think there are at least 8 guys that could have easily gone in round one still available.
As always, it depends on who is still on the board, but Keon Coleman wouldn't bother me in the least right here.
Adding him as a big slot receiver this year with Chase and Higgins would create some real issues for opposing defenses.

He doesn't have to be the pick though, there are plenty I would be really happy with.

Here's another question I can't help but ponder, with the Bengals needing a DT and the player once thought to be a target of the team.

Do they take a chance on T'Vondre Sweat?  Maybe they have him off their board, maybe they still want him but no earlier than the 3rd?
I think it's been mentioned before that he is a known partier, but no one is denying his talent.
Outland trophy winner as the top d-lineman in the country, Big 12 defensive player of the year, and unanimous All-American.

How much of a risk is too much of a risk when considering he plays a position of need?

Neither here nor there for me, he's still just really intriguing to me.  Just keep the twinkies away from that dude.

19 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

The talent on the board left on the board is a direct result of 2nd/3rd qbs being taken in round 1. 

And this makes me very happy.

Still can't figure out for the life of me why the Falcons draft Penix when they just guaranteed Cousins $90 million on his FA deal.

Day 2 mock from Trepasso over at cbs. Has Newton falling to us at 49. I would be thrilled with that pick. Also has Roman Wilson, Kool-Aid, Sinott and Sanders, and Cooper DeJean still on the board at 49. Also Patrick Paul and Zach Frazier if they wanted to double-dip at OL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-for-day-2-spencer-rattler-next-qb-off-the-board-plus-wrs-galore-during-rounds-2-and-3/

I’m not expecting either Newton or P-J to be there at 49, but if one is I would bet on the latter. The first 14 picks were all offense last night, and final tally was a 23-9 offensive blowout. So I am figuring that defenders are going to be flying off the board tonight, especially early.

I agree with several of you that they should be focusing on quality over quantity, and ergo should be using a few of the later picks to upgrade their earlier picks

Since they picked up the new Ogbuehi in the first, I would be very happy if they picked up the new Fisher in the 2nd.  One should hit.  Probably the Fisher.

DT or OT would be optimal. 

If there is a 3 down TE at that point, and I dont know if there is one in this draft (Bowers is a receiver only) that'd be good too

Worst case, a IOL.  The Oregon OC would be a phenomenal pickup at 49

Among the mocks I have seen it is popular to pick up a WR or RB (or both) on day 2.  I want nothing to do with either til day 3

what the war room should be doing right now:

1.  identify where they think Newton, Powers-Johnson, or one of the remaining high quality ORTs will probably go

2.  call the teams just ahead of those spots and start wrangling a trade to get ahead of one of those spots

So PFF has updated their simulator so you can plug in the actual picks and start from round two. I ended up with Jenkins at 49, then WR Devontez Walker and G Cooper Beebe (at 97!!!).

agreed, Army

I'd love to see them do something crazy (for them, that is) and end up losing all but one of their picks in round 5 or later to get all but one of their picks into round 4 or earlier

why all but one instead of all?  to draft a Punter.....sorry Robbins, sorry Chrisman

Id like to see them look at this year as the last year of the superbowl window, and go absolutely all in on quality

• Like 1

To be fair, there is recent precedent for a Bengals 2nd round trade-up (Cam Taylor-Britt). So perhaps it's not as out there as it feels to Bengals geezers like the lot of us.

Normally I am anti-trade up, but in what I perceive to be a Super Bowl window, I'm all in. I don't care about extra picks. Go get me a high-level starter if you think he's on the board.

Well, using ye olde trade value chart, their original 3rd could get them all the way to 33 with room to spare. The 3rd round comp pick could get them to 38, and their 4th could get them to 43. If they want to come up and can find a partner, it wouldn’t be that expensive.

• HoosierCat changed the title to Round 2 (49): Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan