Wild Card Weekend

At the end of the day, Cleveland and Pittsburgh were who we thought they were, a couple pretenders who ultimately got into the playoffs because the only victory the Bengals could get in the division was the one where the Browns sat all their talent.

Cleveland now faces having to manage a roster while weighted down by Watson’s massive number and still lacking high draft picks.

Pittsburgh is like an echo of the Lewis/Dalton era. There’s talent on the roster but is anyone confident that Tomlin/Pickett (or Rudolph) can lead it to a Lombardi?

I like the Bengals’ chances going forward but they have to get their shit together this offseason. Just have to see how that goes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Pittsburgh is like an echo of the Lewis/Dalton era..

Last 4 times they made the playoffs, the Steelers have lost all 4 playoff games.  Prior to that, 2011 through 2015, the bengals were in the playoffs 5 (consecutive) seasons.  Lost all 5 playoff games.  You are right, very similar.  

• Like 1

Mayfield wins a playoff game.  If Cleveland had just kept him, and all their $$ and draft picks, they’d be way better off.  Likely at least one playoff win by now.  That owner is the gift that keeps on giving - to all the teams that aren’t the Browns.

• Like 1

Oh my God. This is so good.

The Browns and Steelers both lose and the icing on the cake was Mayfield and the Bucs knocking off the defending NFC champs. Priceless !!

To make it even better, Tomlin leaves the press conference like a bitch when asked about his contract. 

Here’s to wishing the Browns and Steelers more of the same in 2024 !!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

At the end of the day, Cleveland and Pittsburgh were who we thought they were, a couple pretenders who ultimately got into the playoffs because the only victory the Bengals could get in the division was the one where the Browns sat all their talent.

Cleveland now faces having to manage a roster while weighted down by Watson’s massive number and still lacking high draft picks.

Pittsburgh is like an echo of the Lewis/Dalton era. There’s talent on the roster but is anyone confident that Tomlin/Pickett (or Rudolph) can lead it to a Lombardi?

I like the Bengals’ chances going forward but they have to get their shit together this offseason. Just have to see how that goes.

Cleveland had a decent season given their injuries.   I think Pitt took advantage of the Burrow injury the most.

Cleveland certainly has a lot of roster work ahead.  Not impossible to mange but Watson becoming a high level QB is certainly the biggest factor.   You can't have a QB costing that much and then a street Free Agent massively out plays you.

I think Pitt is smoke and mirrors thanks to Tomlin.  I look forward to the day all Pittsburgh fans get their wish and Tomlin leaves.   Maybe the ownership finds a 4th coach that can win 140+ games in the NFL.   I don't think there's a whole lot of talent.  There's talent in spots (actually reminds me of the mid 90, Blake Bengals).  Upper level coaching, accountable lockeroom could have easily put Blake, Pickens, Scott in the wildcard round a couple of times. Especially if they were letting 7 teams in.

As for the Bengals.   They replayed the 2022 AFC Championship game.   Higgins is a monster. Tag him.  Where was that Ossai all year?  Health of the QB certainly is the biggest issue.  Not similar to Cleveland but same issue you can't have that much cap room sitting on the sideline.    I think Zac has to adjust the off season focus.    The O-line buffoonary in the Titans, and Home Pittsburgh game clearly bring about prepared issues.   You can't go period of looking horrible on the OL then to periods of looking capable.   Just seems like a coaching problem.  

As always the league needs to review some of its rules and how offenses are now taking advantage.   The Allen 52 yard TD scramble is not a great play at all.  Its bullshit.   A fake slide?

The reason the slide is available to QBs is to avoid them taking hits.  I would also say ton of RBs and QBs take advantage of the sideline rules.    IMO, the league just needs to remove all these bullshit rules to make the game easier to regulate. 

If a ball carrier is hugging the line down the sidelines and try to duck out last minute.  It should be no penalty if they are hit in the white.   KC actually got a huge play out of it vs. Bengals.  RB slowed up on sideline just a little and as soon as the defenders relaxed he went down field for a big gain.  Won the AFC Championship game with the same kind of BS.

Also if WRs need protection from big hits.  Then don't run patterns through zone defense within 15 yards of LOS.   Its coordinators and QBs that's putting those players at risk most of the time, not cheap shot defenders.

Then of course the QBs that supposedly need protection are shoved into the LOS by a running back anytime there's a 3rd and 1. 

I'm glad Allen beat the Steelers, but that's just bullshit slowing down, leaning back and then as soon as defenders let up he takes advantage and scores a TD.  Allen doesn't need protections running the ball.  Most of these running QBs don't. 

14 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

He didn’t. There was no fake slide.

Yes it was.  It was very similar to the Kenny Picket fake slide that had the NCAA change rules.   He clearly slows and leans back and as soon as the defender let up, he decides to go for more yards.

Its complete BS.    The slide rule I think came in to play to protect QBs from the 85' Bears Defense.  Help them get out of the way and then get down to avoid blood thristy defenders.    It wasn't intended to let the QB scramble down the field then push it to the last yard to avoid contact and now start fake slides.

Just remove the rule and let these QBs enjoy the thrill of being a running back.   I rather them remove it vs. making the on field ref use judgement.   The competition committee will either ignore or ignorantly make it a judgement call by the ref.   Bad idea.  Just get rid of it.

Same should be done along the sideline.   If you are going to push it to the first down marker, then getting hit in the white is perfectly reasonable. 

I have watched it a bunch and have gone back and forth with what I saw. Then I decided to slow it down and Allen switches up his footing from a downfield run to a position appearing to initiate a slide. While he didn’t slide, it does appear his foot movement, indicating a slide was what gave the defender enough of a pause to allow Allen to get past him.

While at full speed, it’s hard to tell if he was intending to slide or simply changing direction.  What do I know though?