Week 15 (Saturday 12/16): Vikings @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

55 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Now if only the Vikings knew who was going to start at QB...

This is a game the Bengals should win.

Which is why this game scares me. It’s another classic trap game. Bengals are on a two game hot streak and have a huge game coming up next week in Pitt. Oh, and it’s a short week, too. Need the coaching staff to keep them focused on the task at hand.

Personally, I don't think it matters who they start.  Both Dobbs and Mullens are equally terrible and not who you want starting.
I just thought it was funny they didn't know.  It's not like they are springing their secret weapon on the Bengals or something.
Just pick the least smelly turd and move on.

Does that mean the Bengals are definitely going to win the game?  We already know the answer to that question.
The Bengals have lost to more smellier turds than Dobbs and Mullens.

All that being said, the Bengals win this game at home.  If not, the glory of the last couple of wins is quickly gone.

WHODEY !!!

Bengals should just run the offense from the games they win, lol.  The Bengals have 3 of the 4 top 10 yardage defenses coming up, the 4th being Pittsburgh.

Jake looked like a deer in headlights vs. Pittsburgh.   A great coaching job to get him playing the way he has the last 2 games.    To produce enough offense to qualify for playoffs they'll probably need another adjustment or two from the past couple games.

The screen success of the Bengals was produced with motion forcing the Colts to show they are in zone.  Then deep routes paired with play action to get their LBs to run off into zone coverage once reading pass and throw the screen underneath with an aggressive pass rush.    They attempted one late game and the D-line guy got the memo and didn't rush.

What happens when the defense shows man and you have that screen called?  Joe Burrow would have had multiple plays to check into.  Will Jake?  That's the next hurdle, I guess. 

Roll up nearly 400 yards/30 points the next 4 weeks.   Bengals could be rolling into a QB controversy next year, lol.   That would be impressive QBing.   I think the Bengals will need a couple shut down defensive performances next 4 weeks to make playoffs.

Bengals have been good against back up QBs.   Someone ran stats going back to 2010 showing the QBs had a cumulative bad passer rating or something.  Fans tend to remember the Mike Whites or TJ Yates because they are thinking "easy" victory prior to the game.   Fans don't have a bad memory burned into their head when the Bengals win while making a back up look like a back up.

I'm not sure what 2010 really has to do with this group.  Dax, Battle, etc. were probably in grade school.   I just hope Lou doesn't stay in zone if the back up QB shows a comfort vs. his zone defenses.   I also hope the Bengals offense can put scoring pressure on the opposing offense so they can't just play for punts in a close game.

11 wins?  - Bengals in the playoffs, mark it down and save for later.

Entering last week with 10 wins?  I would say there could be a chance for resting starters.  I would say in the playoffs for sure even if the 11th win doesn't occur.

Its only if you believe they'll enter last week with 8 or 9 wins in which you should worry about needing help for playoffs, IMO.

At this point people in the playoff predictors at letting emotions take control, confusing games yet to be played as "needing help". 

BEFORE the Baltimore game, a lot of people were chirping the season was over IF they lost and landed 5-5.   Heck they even dropped to 5-6 and they are right in the thick of a playoff hunt after 2 wins.

Now people may not believe they'll land on 11 or 10 wins, but that's different.   A basic playoff predictor scenario has them as 5 seed with 11.   I'm sure there's a combo of button pushing that could be done to show them out with 11 wins but not worth worrying about at this point.   They go into last week with 10 wins and there could be talk of resting starters.

This is what I think going into the last week:

7 wins - out.  Sure there may be some scenario in which a 8-9 Bengals could make it at this point with 4 games to play.   I don't know and don't care to fool with those scenarios at this point.  Not worth considering unless they get to last week and that scenario still exists which is doubtful.  By the time last week rolls out, just 7 wins and could be already eliminated.

8 wins - high probability they are out but would have some plausible long shots to get in with a 9th win and help.

9 wins - probably in with a win. Control own destiny.  Maybe a scenario holds in which 10 wins and they lose a tie breaker.  Not worth worrying about at this point as there a plenty of games to shake out.

10 wins - In.  Maybe scenario to rest starters.  Doubt very little they would be out with an 11th win.  Doubt they would be out having already recorded a 10th win.   Certainly not worth considering any scenario in which they don't make it in with 11 wins/10 wins at this point.

If you see them only having 8/9 wins entering the last week then that's when you can start praying for help.  All other scenarios aren't scenarios they are just stories that will end once a couple weeks get played.

Week 18 note from espn:

The Browns placed their leading tackler, safety Grant Delpit, on injured reserve Wednesday with a groin injury, meaning he will miss at least Cleveland's final four regular-season games. On top of that, a source told ESPN defensive end Ogbo Okoronkwo could miss the rest of the season with a pectoral injury. Both players suffered their injuries in Sunday's 31-27 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

There are four teams sitting at 7-6, along with our Bengals, but currently sitting above us in the playoff rankings.

Steelers and Colts are currently the 6th and 7th seeds.
Texans and Broncos are the first two out, then us in the 10 hole.
Also of interest are the Bills sitting at 7-6 right after us.
There are 3 teams at 8-5: Chiefs, Jaguars and Browns.

So this weekend, outside of rooting for the Bengals (duh), we should be rooting for:
Patriots over the Chiefs (nope)
Baltimore over the Jaguars (yep)
Bears over the Browns (maybe)
Colts over the Steelers (maybe)
Titans over the Texans (maybe)
Lions over the Broncos (yep)

Someone has to win the Colts Steelers game and we beat the Colts and still have to play the Steelers again, so give me the Colts in that one.
Again, crazier things have happened.

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 15 (Saturday 12/16): Vikings @ Bengals Game Thread