Week 10: Texans @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Yea I’m not sure all AFC North teams will go to the playoffs, but at this point I’m not sure the Bengals will be going to the playoffs. The first half games really hurt, and the lack of offense for pretty much all game really hurt them today.  

Will see how things play out, but they played so flat today and let the Texans do whatever they wanted it was terrible.  It seems like they get excited to play the big name teams and then when it comes to playing anyone else there is just no passion.

Oh and screw Zac for his terrible play calling at the goal line area, and once again not even trying to run the ball. To me it gets so annoying game after game to only run it a few times. Defense sucks will just throw it 3 times and miss all 3 and let the defense back in all tired, just stupid!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, glasgowbengal said:

I had a family commitment that meant I only saw Q1 today. First snaps I’ve missed since about 2005. 

Was it really that bad? I guess without the first half turnovers it’s actually a HOU blowout? 

Yea Texans really hurt themselves at the goal line so it could have been much worse

Since day 1 when a team gets this offense off script these guys have no clue how to fix it. They come out and look like a shell of itself can’t complete passes, o-line breaks down, Zac refuses to run, they are such a mess. They finally figure something out and it’s to late. They really need to figure out how to deal with this problem sooner.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Baltimore losing is a big deal. Beat them Thursday and everything is right back on the table.

True, but at least to me this really doesn’t feel like a team that can make a run. It feels more like a team whose window is closing. Burrow’s calf killed them out of the gate and now the usual injuries are taking their toll. And when this season ends Higgins is gone, Jonah is gone…nope, pretty down on them tonight.

They said usually after a loss this team is pissed yelling and all sorts of stuff.

They said after today everything was just quite people were not talking, heads down, just seems weird to me.

Not sure why but just felt different watching this game, from the Bills game the other night. Looked like emotions were down, they couldn’t figure out what to do that would work, Burrow looked like he did when his calf was hurting. Just didn’t feel good today, guess they better figure out what up and figure it out fast.

I went down to the game and even my people in town from Houston kept asking what the heck the Bengals were doing.
Our guys just looked flat and that is just not ok at this point in the season.
Injuries be damned, they still should have beaten the Texans Sunday.  They played down and paid the price for it.

The o-line is somehow still a concern, despite additions and good overall health.
When is the focus going to turn to Pollack?  At some point someone has to be held accountable there.
Either the players aren't executing or the coach isn't a good fit.  Figure it out and fix it.  Too much money to perform so poorly.

Burrow did not look comfortable with anything the offense was trying to do.
He said they made an adjustment to try to make plays with his legs in the 2nd half.
They need to do more to make adjustments sooner instead of coming up short and playing from behind all the time.

Boyd needs to bring down the ball in the endzone with the game on the line, but I'm not mad at him.
I actually feel bad for him.  99% of the time, he hauls that in.  Shit happens and this time, it was just poor timing.

Not sure what to expect moving forward, but they have dug themselves quite the hole.
However, I still feel like this is a team "capable" of getting to the playoffs.
Just get there and it's a new ball game.  I'm just not sure that's happening at this point when looking forward.

I just keep wondering when the pitch forks are going to come out for Pollack like they were for Alexander.

Alexander had years in which his line allowed less than 20 sacks and was still a punching bag.   

Last week vs. Bills following an INT, a slew of OL penalties completely shit canned a drive to a point they couldn't even attempt a FG.    This week vs. Houston there were so many untimely sacks and penalties its sad.

Fans just seem to be OK with a 2/3 sacks a game average with 8/9 QB hits/pressure.     It'd be a miracle to be below 35 on a season with this guy.

I'm whatever about Pollack. Move on, sure. I think the primary culprit behind the offensive line woes is Duke Tobin, which is unfortunate, because he's pretty great with the rest of the roster.

To be clear, Tobin has tried very hard to get the line right. I wouldn't accuse him of neglecting the OL. Instead, everything he tries seems to fail (or barely break even).

I won't for one minute suggest they haven't tried to fix the o-line.
They have spent plenty of time and loads of money on trying to build the line. Yet, they still struggle.  I have no idea if it's that the players aren't as good as they thought they were, if it's the scheme, or maybe a combination of everything.  However, something has to give.  You cannot put that much time and money into the o-line and still be trying to figure it out.  I also have no idea who else they could bring in to coach the line, but Pollack's seat should be extremely hot.

I also think the line looks worse than it is due to Burrow and the playcalling. Burrow loves to hold the ball forever, run around, try to make thing happen, and the playcalling supports that. And that’s fine, but you are going to take more hits and sacks that way. You want fewer sacks, go back to the Dalton style pre-snap read, three steps, fire the ball style offense.

I won't disagree with that point either Hoosier, but I think it makes me looks harder at Pollack.
Even when you go back and look at his time in Dallas, his o-line units were stellar at running the ball, but he was criticized for their pass blocking.  That would probably explain why Mixon was so happy to see him return to Cincinnati for his second stint.  However, considering we run the ball less than pretty much everyone in the league, maybe he just isn't a fit for what this offense wants to be.

Again, I'm speculating, but it's just an interesting situation.

Burrow threw the ball 41 times against the Texans.
Mixon was the only RB to get a carry, which happened 11 times.

The RB's weren't even used in the passing game either.
Mixon and Williams both had a combined 3 catches for 1 yard.

When they make it so one dimensional, that makes things a lot easier on the defense.
Considering they decided to do that without Higgins is at least questionable.

That being said, TB should have caught that ball and they still should have won that game.

I think Joe Burrow is coming to the LOS with options and freedom to change play a large percentage of the game.   The resulting ratio and targets are going to be based on how he interprets a defense.

I think the days of calling "54" cross power trap and locking Burrow into that play are long gone.