Crackling Good Read

membengal

Direct link for those who don’t want to give Elon a click: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/22/23840809/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-beating-two-high-new-offense

But yeah, definitely worth a read. It’s kind of funny (sad, not ha-ha) that so much of what you read from the coaching staff in this is stuff that fans have harped on for literally decades. The line near the end about trying to fit square pegs into round holes was especially ironic for me.

Joe’s mental progression is everything we hoped it would be. Just need to get some priest or rabbi or voodoo master in who can break the preseason bad luck streak for the kid.

So don't anyone go getting it twisted.  Joe Burrow is the most important player on this team.
Love the Peyton Manning comparison in the article as well.

Makes me really think back to the beginning of last year when they were losing stupid games left and right.
Most think the cause of that was the o-line or lack of snaps in the preseason.
I'm sure that is a component to explain that, but this also shows they were pounding square pegs into round holes.
When they employed the "stupid stopper", everything shifted.

That kind of jives with what I was saying in another thread about why people think every other teams is ready to go week one, where the Bengals are viewed as never being ready.  They were and they will be ready week one, they just need to get out in front of stupid quicker and take what's given.

Really enjoyed reading that article.  Thanks Mem !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Direct link for those who don’t want to give Elon a click: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/22/23840809/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-beating-two-high-new-offense

But yeah, definitely worth a read. It’s kind of funny (sad, not ha-ha) that so much of what you read from the coaching staff in this is stuff that fans have harped on for literally decades. The line near the end about trying to fit square pegs into round holes was especially ironic for me.

Joe’s mental progression is everything we hoped it would be. Just need to get some priest or rabbi or voodoo master in who can break the preseason bad luck streak for the kid.

Lets get Jobu on it

I have some rum I can donate to the cause.  someone else can fork over for the cigars

• Haha 1

But at halftime of the Baltimore game in Week 5, coaches say, the team shifted toward easier options in both play-calling and on-field decision-making.

Writer did a good job.   I have said this a number of times.     You could literally see the approach change in that Sunday night game.   He started taking check downs.   At first it resulted in punts.   Continued through halftime and the rest of the game and fought back to take a lead (I think) then tie.   Only to lose on a Tucker FG.

From that point the offense began a steady climb up the rankings.   The O-line improved.   2nd half the year they were the best AFC team.   Then unfortunately injuries to OL and not a great AFC Champ game by the secondary.  

The best way to slow Joe Burrow and the Bengals is deep coverage get pressure with 4.   OBJ is not a Whitworth type protector, but paired with Jonah on the RT.   You'll have upgraded edge protection from the previous two years.     Assuming they continue to check it down and hopeful reduction in fast edge pressure.   Teams are going to have to come out of those deep looks. 

Callahan uses so many Manning concepts in the dropback passing game. “If you watch our dropback game, that’s really what it is,” Taylor said. “You can go back and find old Colts or old Broncos clips.” But there is another reason the comp floats around training camp.

this point has also been confirmed by Manning himself when Peyton has done QB breakdown videos of Burrow.    Given Callahan's connections through his dad and relationship with Peyton.   Surprised he wasn't plucked from the Bengals already.

18 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So don't anyone go getting it twisted.  Joe Burrow is the most important player on this team.
Love the Peyton Manning comparison in the article as well.

Makes me really think back to the beginning of last year when they were losing stupid games left and right.
Most think the cause of that was the o-line or lack of snaps in the preseason.
I'm sure that is a component to explain that, but this also shows they were pounding square pegs into round holes.
When they employed the "stupid stopper", everything shifted.

That kind of jives with what I was saying in another thread about why people think every other teams is ready to go week one, where the Bengals are viewed as never being ready.  They were and they will be ready week one, they just need to get out in front of stupid quicker and take what's given.

Really enjoyed reading that article.  Thanks Mem !!

I continue to almost 100% ascribe the slow start last year to Burrow having had an exploded appendix and rushing back and not being fully himself physically for about a month...

It all depends on their start again.  The first two weeks against division opponents will be very important.
Going 2-0 to start the season and being 2-0 in the division will set them up for success and take some pressure off regarding the AFCN.
Both of those games are going to be tough in my opinion.

The next 4 games before the bye:
Rams
@ Titans
@ Cardinals
Seahawks

While those are not push over teams, I think they should win each of them.

The next 4 games after the bye:
@ 49er's
Bills
Texans
@ Ravens

This is a tough stretch of games with the Texans being the easiest of that grouping.

The next 4 games:
Steelers
@ Jaguars
Colts
Vikings

I'm hoping the Jags game will be the toughest of that grouping.

Last 3 games of the season:

@ Steelers
@ Chiefs
Browns

Interesting way to end the season with the division being on the line at the end of the year again.

Overall, I agree with the high expectations for this season.  I fully expect them to be knocking on the Super Bowl door again.
Frankly, anything less than that will feel disappointing regarding end result.  However, how fun is it to be a Bengals fan these days ??

13-4 , 14-3...  something around there.  While seeding is definitely important, if they get to the playoffs, they can win it all.
Oh my God week one can't get here fast enough !!!

Hiring of Marvin Lewis the AFC North the most competitive division in football.   You simply have not seen the North dominated by 1 franchise similar to what you see in the West.

Chargers won West 4 years running.  Then the Broncos 5 in a row.  Then Chiefs 7 times.    The Bills have won East 3 in a row, following a 11 year run by the Patriots.

If you want to host an AFC Champ game you can puss through TC and start 0-2 like they did last year.   Hopefully it won't repeat this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

More in the genre.

CINCINNATI — Brandon Allen joined the Cincinnati Bengals as a backup quarterback before the 2020 season, at the same time the franchise drafted Joe Burrow with the first pick. Allen had shared meeting rooms with about a dozen quarterbacks over four NFL seasons, and he’d had hundreds, if not thousands, of conversations about how to read a defense. How would they study the shifting alignment at the line? Which defender would they look at right before the snap? What did they do to get to the backside progression before a 280-pound man slammed into their ribs and ruined an entire city’s Sunday?

All the quarterbacks had developed personal systems, mechanisms to discern complex patterns within fractions of a second in the cauldron of an NFL field. Burrow was different. He did not key in on one player. He had no tricks to determine what he needed to do. He just … knew.

The rest here: https://wapo.st/45FqPiu (gift link for you cheapskates)