Playoff scenarios

cincyhokie

I keep hearing suggestions that they put the AFCCG at a neutral site if it features two of the three 1-seed candidates. That's fine, but it would irritate me a lot if they don't extend the same rationale to the most important possible meeting --> Bills and Bengals in the divisional round. If they're the 2-seed and 3-seed, then it's impossible for them to meet in the AFCCG.

• Like 1

As is, the likely path for the Bengals starts with the 3 seed. The most likely games would be at home vs. Ravens, then at Bills, then AFCCG at a neutral site.

It’s not the “fair” path but it’s also the one where if they win, there will be no doubts. Beating those 3 teams at home, on the road, and at a neutral site. It leaves no “what ifs”. 

I actually like them going to Buffalo as the #3 of all of the alternatives. If you’re the Chiefs, for example, it’s easy for people to point out “they were given the #1.” I don’t want that. 

Here’s the decision, pending full league approval:

https://www.nfl.com/news/week-17-buffalo-cincinnati-game-will-not-be-resumed-neutral-afc-championship-gam

Cancelling the game between the Bills and Bengals creates potential competitive inequities in certain playoff scenarios. In an effort to mitigate those inequities, NFL clubs will consider tomorrow in a Special League Meeting a resolution recommended by the Commissioner and approved today by the Competition Committee, consisting of two elements:

1 - The AFC Championship Game will be played at a neutral site if the participating teams played an unequal number of games and both could have been the number one seed and hosted the game had all AFC clubs played a full 17-game regular season. Those circumstances involve Buffalo or Cincinnati qualifying for the game as a road team and are listed below:

Scenario 1

Buffalo and Kansas City both win or both tie – a Buffalo vs Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

Scenario 2

Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Baltimore wins or ties – a Buffalo vs Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

Scenario 3

Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Cincinnati wins – a Buffalo or Cincinnati vs Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

2 - If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati in Week 18 it will have defeated Cincinnati, a divisional opponent, twice but will not be able to host a playoff game because Cincinnati will have a higher winning percentage for a 16-game schedule than Baltimore will for a 17-game schedule.

If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati and if those two clubs are schedule to play a Wild Card game against one another, the site for that game would be determined by a coin toss. If Cincinnati wins the Week 18 game or if Baltimore and Cincinnati are not scheduled to play one another in the Wild Card round, the game sites would be determined by the regular scheduling procedures.

2 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think the Bengals/Ravens stipulations are reasonably fair. I think it's very dumb that the neutral site games don't include a Bengals/Bills scenario in the divisional round or higher.

There’s no Bengals/Bills scenario because the cancelled game can’t give either one an advantage over the other. 

6 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think the Bengals/Ravens stipulations are reasonably fair. I think it's very dumb that the neutral site games don't include a Bengals/Bills scenario in the divisional round or higher.

No they are not. It’s absolutelly shit. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

There’s no Bengals/Bills scenario because the cancelled game can’t give either one an advantage over the other. 

Well that’a wrong. It kept bengals from chance to get 2 seed.

The Ravens were denied a fair chance to win the division with the game being canceled. Pretty much every suggestion I have seen this week would have screwed them over worse than anyone else. I don't mind the NFL leaving them a window. The Bengals just have to win the game and make it all moot.

• Like 2

Oh, and don’t overlook that the league helpfully designated the bengals division champs but - hey - maybe can’t host a playoff game BUT does ensure them a lower draft pick as division champs and a first place schedule - but - hey - may not host a playoff game. 

totally fair and definitely not the league shitting on the franchise. Again.

My take…

When the decision was made to cancel the Bills Bengals game. Everyone should just deal with the fall out of that decision.

Bengals have no shot at the #1 seed that they would have, they are division champs with a home game commensurate with that, and everyone else falls into place as a result of the initial decision. Everyone gets screwed one way or another, but this really feels like punishment for the Bengals.