Week 1 - Colts Talk

AMPHAR

Finally got a chance to sort through my thoughts:

1. I am super not used to seeing the Bengals get down , keep getting down, playing from behind and winning - especially on the road. I am not sure how resiliency happens, but that was resilient yesterday and that's not something we usually get from a Marvin team, even the good ones. 

2. Bullock earned a lot of rope from me with the kick to put them up four, I was sure he was going to miss that, the Colts got good pressure, but he got it away and it made a huge difference, keeping the Colts from simply needing to get in range at the end of the game.

3. I wondered how much intel Hewitt gave the Colts which may have caused the passing game some problems. Felt to me like the Colts were in the right defensive sets for our looks way more than I would have expected - and I suspect it is one of the reasons we didn't see much from Boyd and Ross - since Andy does so much pre-snap reads - I suspect Indy did a good job pre-snap driving him away from those options and forcing him to the run game.

4. Which leads me to...the run game. Nice to see it is indeed there. Mixon was decisive and looked the part of a #1 back. Giddyup. 

5. I thought Redmond was more than adequate, even maybe good. Other than Price's dealing with his first real baptism and struggling in the first quarter (and then getting better), I was pretty pleased with four of the five spots. As for RT, I really think they need to address that now, in-house. I would rather see Fisher there than Hart, but maybe that's just me.

6. Green, for as great as he truly is, has had some awful fumbles in his career, and more than just a handful. He has to make awareness and ball security a priority. That game turned early on his fumble. If he doesn't fumble there, the entire first half plays out differently.

7. Helluva an effort from Dalton to save the initial pick-6. Massive play, as the game played out. As for Dalton, solid game, and I did like that he seemed to be trying to keep his eyes downfield a few times as the pocket broke down. Not always successful, but at least not the immediate tuck and run of last year.

8. I guess I am still processing that the team actually made adjustments at halftime. Especially defensively. About time. 

Feels like a huge weight off the shoulders to be 1-0 right now. Especially since that appeared to be a vintage Andrew Luck. Beating a premier QB on the road is enormous. Onward.

• Like 1

I thought Luck did a great job underneath all day that made our d-line ineffective most of the time. 

The Colts generated a ton of first downs it seemed.   However the feeling at the game was if “we” could ever get out of own way the game could be ours for the taking.  They finally did 2nd half.

Personal fouls seemed to be one sided.  Especially Jackson on TY and the very next drive something similar happened to a Bengals WR.....no call.  

NFL tries so hard to screw up the game it feels like. 

I was looking at stats and the box score and some things surprised me.

I can't believe Luck threw the ball 53 freakin' times in that game.
I can't believe the Colts were 11/17 on 3rd down conversions.
I liked that while the Colts ran 27 more plays than us, we had a average of 6.6 yards per play while the Colts averaged 4.9.
We had 5.1 yards per rush, which is a bit of a relief I hope to see continue through the season.

Bottom-line for me was they came away with the win, which I thought wouldn't happen at the start of the 2nd half.
Next is the short week with Baltimore coming to town Thursday night.

21 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Great finish, gotta work on that o-line, surprised they won that game.

I, too, surprised they won. It's a game type that they'd usually lose. Maybe its a different fortitude. Last two games they stole the victory. Luck back to his usual elite play. Dalton didn't make a fatal mistake. Probably wants that screen lob back, though. Mixon looks strong. 

I saw margus Hunt got a couple sacks. Good for him. Hart was dreadful. What to do about the RT? 

The only thing we can do about the right side of the line is scheme around it.

People are calling for Fisher at RT, which is fine, but coaches saw Hart and Fisher play all through training camp and went with Hart.  That should give you pause.

Redmond wasn't much better.

It's a bad situation, but still better than last season (the line, overall).  They can have success.